Thread: Egg Bowl Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

vCash

Egg Bowl Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

It's a big weekend fellas. Who is doing it big?

vCash
    I'm still as fat as a tick on a coon dawg from yesterday, so I think I'm eating salad all weekend. Oh wait, I just found the leftover key lime pie....

And send out good vibes - my Glynn Academy Red Terrors are down 14-7 on the road at #1 Stockbridge in the 5A Quarterfinals. Need a win to host a Final 4 game next week.

vCash
    Sampled my Jameson whiskey trilogy set. Tried the Caskmates. Damn... So smooth. Gotta get a big bottle. Excellent

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/us/ou...eson-caskmates

vCash
    And I'll give ED a shout out for luck - my Red Terrors came back, down 21-7 in the 4th, to beat the last undefeated and #1 team in 5A on the road 24-21. Host Final Four game against the Ware County Gators next week

vCash
    How about a Thanksgiving wrap-up? Just got back from a nine hour drive, and am going to make the trip over tomorrow for the game, but will not have time for anything but a few quick drinks prior to hitting the stadium.

Started with a 24 lb turkey thawing early in the week. Listened to a chef on the Freakonomics podcast on the drive to Charlottesville talking about dry brining a turkey, and checked his website looking for the technique on arrival. While it is generally suicide to try something new with the main course for Thanksgiving without adequate practice, his description sold me, and I decided against my traditional wet brine for a dry. Spoiler: if you smoke or bake a turkey, you must do this. This was the most juicy, crispy skin turkey I have ever smoked, and will be my new method of choice from now on.

Dry Brine Technique: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/q...nksgiving.html

Started the Smokey Mountain about 0630. Used light smoke with only two hickory chunks:

Put the bird on about 0800 - note that a 22-24 lb bird is all a WSM 18" will handle:

Pulled at 1200 when it hit 162 internal. Perfect timing as we were eating at 1:00 pm.

After gorging ourselves, we had a great digestif round with the Jefferson's Groth.

Evening meal was turkey gumbo I make with the carcass post carving. Did some things differently this year - used gluten free buckwheat flour and rendered turkey fat for the roux. It was damn good?shockingly so.

Great Thanksgiving in VA with the in-laws, and glad to be home. I look forward to watching a UNM ass spanking tomorrow, and high-fiving Dak from the Gridiron before he leaves the stadium for the last time as a player.

GTHOM!
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 11-27-2015 at 11:40 PM.

vCash
    Looks awesome per usual Sapper. You are truly a chef.

I'm on a different Jameson from the trilogy. Special Reserve Black. Did it neat. I like the Caskmates a little better but this is another really good bottle. I almost feel blasphemous saying this but my cabinet is about to get much more Irish attention and less Kentucky/Tennessee for the moment. I'm enamored.

vCash
    Thanks Beast. If you can find it, look for Green Spot and Yellow Spot Irish whiskey. Had some pours in Denver, but cant get it here in AL. It is a definate cabinet add.

vCash
    Sapper - we experimented and did a dry brine too (great minds think alike and shit...).
    Only difference was, my Dad has infrared fryer. It was the absolute best fried turkey I've ever had.

vCash
    Had an extra 10lb smoked turkey. I pulled it and made turkey spaghetti. Was the only positive from last night.