Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stat's on MSU's Program in the West

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    These last two games are huge for our program in my opinion. The 2013 Arkansas and Ole Miss games pretty much started our ascension to some heights we had never seen and I don't want the same 2015 games starting us on a downward trajectory. If we win the last two we will prove that we can sustain a little success and will have something to keep building off after we lose one of the best players in our history.
    Now that you mention it, this is a very similar situation to post-Alabama 2013. Many people were questioning Mullen's abilities. Others were wondering if he'd hit his ceiling. At the same time people were upset with playcalling by Koenning, and that some of our defensive players were not playing in their true positions. Then we get a huge win on the road at Arky, Dak become a hero and our bowl game set us up for 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Now that you mention it, this is a very similar situation to post-Alabama 2013. Many people were questioning Mullen's abilities. Others were wondering if he'd hit his ceiling. At the same time people were upset with playcalling by Koenning, and that some of our defensive players were not playing in their true positions. Then we get a huge win on the road at Arky, Dak become a hero and our bowl game set us up for 2014.
    There are also similarities to 2000. We were 7-2 and lost our last two to Arkansas and Ole Miss (we did win the snow bowl). The next three seasons we won three SEC games on the way to Jackie being fired. I'm not saying we are close to that happening but I will feel a lot better about our program if we win our last two games. We have to at least win the Egg Bowl to have something to build on.

vCash
    There are also similarities to 2000. We were 7-2 and lost our last two to Arkansas and Ole Miss (we did win the snow bowl). The next three seasons we won three SEC games on the way to Jackie being fired. I'm not saying we are close to that happening but I will feel a lot better about our program if we win our last two games. We have to at least win the Egg Bowl to have something to build on.
    I don't think the character of the team is anything like it was in 2000. This is most likely going to be like 2012 or 2013. Either we are going to crater to end the year, in which case we will be establishing a disturbing pattern with Dan, or we will rally like 2013 and figure out how to make this a spring board into 2016. The only difference is that if we rally, we will rally to a really good record rather than getting to 7-6 and even with the additional momentum, we'll still take a step back next year. If we fall apart, we will be lucky to be bowl eligible next year, just like we were in 2013.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Next year will be a huge year for this program and for Mullen. If we can avoid taking a big step back after losing Dak and guys like Chris Jones, Redmond, Wilson, etc., then I think it will prove that we really have elevated the program to another level and that it is not dependent on one player. I'm talking about going something like 8-4 or better. Honestly, even 7-5 would show that we're capable of maintaining.

And it would also show Mullen that he can keep things going in the right direction. I'm sure he already believes this, but it would be a great sign for his ability to keep things moving in the right direction.

And it would also set us up to have a potentially monster 2017 season, with the QB back and last year's class all into year 3 in the program.
    Goal next year should be 6-6 and another bowl game. That's not bad at all when you consider we only have 6 home games and we are upping our OOC schedule with BYU. A W in Oxford would be nice, and should be attainable since they are losing so much.

For me, the goal this year was always 8-4. Dak or not, it's extremely hard to follow up a season like last year, with the same effort.

Like you say, it's extremely critical that we don't fall off the map next year, so we can build to another peak in 2017 when we have LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss at home again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    Goal next year should be 6-6 and another bowl game. That's not bad at all when you consider we only have 6 home games and we are upping our OOC schedule with BYU. A W in Oxford would be nice, and should be attainable since they are losing so much.

For me, the goal this year was always 8-4. Dak or not, it's extremely hard to follow up a season like last year, with the same effort.

Like you say, it's extremely critical that we don't fall off the map next year, so we can build to another peak in 2017 when we have LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss at home again.
    I don't know if I would say 6-6 is the goal, but it is certainly a real possibility. Looking ahead, I would definitely say 2017 is a big jump over a low floor 2016.

Banned
    vCash
    FWIW I was in Little Rock this week and their sports page was very kind to us. The headlines were MSU has second best record in SEC in the last 25 games! Not sure if that is just hype for the game or what.

vCash
    The post-2000 stretch had absolutely nothing to do with our last 2 games in 2000.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the Facts View Post
    If we are going to look at SECW teams (which was the point of your post) let's look at records against the SECW. The records aren't as kind to us...

SEC Records since A&M came into the league (2012) - last Saturday:

Bama - 19-4 (Auburn left this year)
    LSU - 13-9 (Bears and A&M left this year)
    A&M - 12-11 (LSU left this year)
    Miss - 11-11 (LSU and us left this year)
    MSU - 9-13 (Ark and Bears left this year)
    AU 9-14 (Bama left)
    Ark - 6-17 (Us left this year)

Basically - your premise is correct. It's Bama and everyone else. But depending on how the last two weeks shake out - we could have a 3 way tie for second between LSU, OM and A&M. It's doubtful - but they are basically the next tier and you could arguably put us in that group because a 11-13 4 year record isn't out of the question. AU and Arkansas are pulling up the rear with a dismal 4 year average (one that includes a national championship game?)

Now - I'm a MSU fan that has been banned from posting here before - hence my first post under this username. Ban me again - but the facts won't change. I'll remain a reader....
    I'm done with Dan and I'm done with mediocrity. Even if we win out and the Bears lose out - we've got the exact same record against SEC W opponents since A&M joined the league. That's unacceptable. Especially when you consider we are about to graduate the best QB in school history. Dan has done less with more (most exposure, best facilities, biggest budget, most football friendly Athletic Admin etc.) than any coach in MSU history.

Overall SEC Record is important - but it's not apples to apples. It's probably fair to compare us against the Bears since we get UK and they get Vandy every year - but measuring our record against SECW opponents is a better measure for your premise.
    When your first post exposes you as a fvckboy for Freeze...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Just The Facts is not a State fan- this has been their BS on twitter today. But he certainly has a point
    C34 - this is why you need to tighten your game up. The Rabble smell blood in the water, don't give them the satisfaction. Little kids are gonna play on the intarwebs until we send them home in disgrace...

vCash
    Some people on here had serious maroon glasses on in august, thinking this was a 10-2 or 11-1 team. That's the biggest problem here. The rational among us saw this team, with a lackluster ol and no rb (I was told rb would never be an issue bc it never has been under mullen), as an 8-4 team. That's what we are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Some people on here had serious maroon glasses on in august, thinking this was a 10-2 or 11-1 team. That's the biggest problem here. The rational among us saw this team, with a lackluster ol and no rb (I was told rb would never be an issue bc it never has been under mullen), as an 8-4 team. That's what we are.
    I projected 9 regular season wins and we still have a shot at that. My thinking was as follows: best case we could sniff 10 wins (one road loss and a home loss, likely Bama) and worst case 8 wins (loss to A&M, LSU, Bama and another road loss at Arky or Mizzou). I still think we're on track for this kind of season and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it given the OL changes, loss of JRob, etc. The defense and depth there has been a pleasant surprise, but we still have some of the same holes/weaknesses we have last year (thin/young at S, personnel problems we won't shore up at LB).

Anybody who thinks that an 8 - 10 win team in the SEC is bad is fooling themselves, to finish at .500 in league play is solid and nothing to be ashamed of. I think we'll do a bit better though, nothing wrong with a little optimism.