Thread: Stat's on MSU's Program in the West

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Getting to 9-3 really will make a difference for Mullen looking over the long haul, because it will give two really good bowls and potentiall two 10-win seasons to go along with having the third or fourth best performance in the SEC W over the last 7 years. Surely that would move the needle on perception.
    These last two games are huge for our program in my opinion. The 2013 Arkansas and Ole Miss games pretty much started our ascension to some heights we had never seen and I don't want the same 2015 games starting us on a downward trajectory. If we win the last two we will prove that we can sustain a little success and will have something to keep building off after we lose one of the best players in our history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    These last two games are huge for our program in my opinion. The 2013 Arkansas and Ole Miss games pretty much started our ascension to some heights we had never seen and I don't want the same 2015 games starting us on a downward trajectory. If we win the last two we will prove that we can sustain a little success and will have something to keep building off after we lose one of the best players in our history.
    Now that you mention it, this is a very similar situation to post-Alabama 2013. Many people were questioning Mullen's abilities. Others were wondering if he'd hit his ceiling. At the same time people were upset with playcalling by Koenning, and that some of our defensive players were not playing in their true positions. Then we get a huge win on the road at Arky, Dak become a hero and our bowl game set us up for 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Now that you mention it, this is a very similar situation to post-Alabama 2013. Many people were questioning Mullen's abilities. Others were wondering if he'd hit his ceiling. At the same time people were upset with playcalling by Koenning, and that some of our defensive players were not playing in their true positions. Then we get a huge win on the road at Arky, Dak become a hero and our bowl game set us up for 2014.
    There are also similarities to 2000. We were 7-2 and lost our last two to Arkansas and Ole Miss (we did win the snow bowl). The next three seasons we won three SEC games on the way to Jackie being fired. I'm not saying we are close to that happening but I will feel a lot better about our program if we win our last two games. We have to at least win the Egg Bowl to have something to build on.

vCash
    There are also similarities to 2000. We were 7-2 and lost our last two to Arkansas and Ole Miss (we did win the snow bowl). The next three seasons we won three SEC games on the way to Jackie being fired. I'm not saying we are close to that happening but I will feel a lot better about our program if we win our last two games. We have to at least win the Egg Bowl to have something to build on.
    I don't think the character of the team is anything like it was in 2000. This is most likely going to be like 2012 or 2013. Either we are going to crater to end the year, in which case we will be establishing a disturbing pattern with Dan, or we will rally like 2013 and figure out how to make this a spring board into 2016. The only difference is that if we rally, we will rally to a really good record rather than getting to 7-6 and even with the additional momentum, we'll still take a step back next year. If we fall apart, we will be lucky to be bowl eligible next year, just like we were in 2013.

vCash
    The post-2000 stretch had absolutely nothing to do with our last 2 games in 2000.