Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hevesey

vCash

Hevesey

I don't understand the hate. For the most part of mullen's career here we have had a pretty good o line. Last year we had a really good o line. He didn't get bad at coaching all the sudden. We just don't have the horses. Now if you are blaming him for recruiting then yeah we have to get better at getting better players.
    Last edited by civildawg; 11-15-2015 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    9 sacks...... That's unacceptable

vCash
    Need to croot better. Crootin really picked up last year and those guys need time.

Gotta keep crootin better. Last year's improvement was just a start. Gotta do better.

vCash
    9 sacks seems about right when your going up against the best dline in the country and they pin their ears back because they know you are going to pass

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    I don't understand the hate. For the most part of mullen's career here we have had a pretty good o line. Last year we had a really good o line. He didn't get bad at coaching all the sudden. We just don't have the horses. Now if you are blaming him for recruiting then yeah we have to get better at getting better players.
    Our lines in the past were helped by some pretty good backs, without that now, they are getting exposed. Also, we cannot wait for every third year when we have a bunch of 5th year players to be pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    9 sacks...... That's unacceptable
    Totally unacceptable... Dak and Dan must share some blame too. Dan has to roll Dak out some, call screens, and run quicker patterns. Dak has to just throw it away when protection isn't there.

vCash
    9 sacks seems about right when your going up against the best dline in the country and they pin their ears back because they know you are going to pass
    They consistently beat us only rushing 4. And it's embarrassing that Warren is our best LT right now. He's awful. Desper isn't any better. At least throw Calhoun in there. That dude is mean. We need anger on the line. Not a bunch of marshmallows.

vCash
    Last years line was a middle of the road sec line at best. When we played a team with a good Dline we got exposed badly. If we want to compete in our league really compete for championships this has got to get fixed.

vCash
    I agree about angry o linemen. We need some more Dillon days

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Totally unacceptable... Dak and Dan must share some blame too. Dan has to roll Dak out some, call screens, and run quicker patterns. Dak has to just throw it away when protection isn't there.
    I agree with this, a few of those sacks were on Dak. He was given 3 and 4 seconds on quite a few of those sacks. You can only hold an elite dl for so long. He needed to put a few of those into the front row.

Geezer
    vCash
    When you run 80+ plays you should find a way to score. They are afraid to run the option and I only remember it one time yesterday and we got about 5 yards. We have decent defensive line talent but we are pitiful on offense. I am not 100% sold on Hevesey but we sure showed yesterday how bad it is and I am afraid we may in the next two as well. A big strong fast running back would help too but there are no holes anywhere so it probably would not matter.

vCash
    Spot on here. The type of back or how good he makes no difference when there is no place to run.

vCash
    The problem with o-line recruiting is that it's such a crapshoot. It's right up there with place kickers. There are only a handful of guys every year who are sure things, so I feel like everyone outside of perennial top 5 recruiters are going to have these issues occasionally. I think Dan and Hev's method of going after potential diamonds in the rough and low-exposure guys and depending on development has been the right approach for us at this point in time, but unfortunately it is going to result in weak years on the o-line sometimes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Spot on here. The type of back or how good he makes no difference when there is no place to run.
    I disagree somewhat, I stated above we need upgrades at OL, but a back does make a difference. See Jerious Norwood and Anthony Dixon before Mullen got here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    The problem with o-line recruiting is that it's such a crapshoot. It's right up there with place kickers. There are only a handful of guys every year who are sure things, so I feel like everyone outside of perennial top 5 recruiters are going to have these issues occasionally. I think Dan and Hev's method of going after potential diamonds in the rough and low-exposure guys and depending on development has been the right approach for us at this point in time, but unfortunately it is going to result in weak years on the o-line sometimes.
    This is only partially on the mark. The whole game revolves around the line, as long ad we continue along the course we are on we roll not compete at the highest levels. We can recruit the diamond in the rough at guard but to progress we must have tackles. The last good tackle we had was a croom recruit.

vCash
    It's the most sacks a Saban team has ever gotten. Against a mobile QB with great pocket presence. We ran about 90 plays, so about 10% of them ended with Dak on his back. Absolutely unacceptable. The thing that killed me is we didn't change anything to help him. Didn't run QB draws, RB draws, screens, fades, 3 step drops, etc...

vCash
    9 sacks is never about right.

vCash
    Hevesey needs to hit the road. Period

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKotter View Post
    Hevesey needs to hit the road. Period
    I think most State fans agree, but I don't think he will leave until Mullen leaves. Similar situation that we had between our last HC and his OC.

vCash
    Mainly b/c his 2012/2013 recruiting probably cost us the SEC West.