Thread: Jimmys & Joes

vCash

Jimmys & Joes

I'm ashamed. I'm ashamed that I actually talked myself into thinking we had a chance today.

Don't get wrong, I think we are a pretty good team. We are well coached, we have pretty good players, pretty good stadium, & pretty good size fan base. All in all we are pretty good. I actually think that we can beat all but two programs in college football, Alabama & Ohio State. We are pretty good, but their talent advantage over us, & pretty much everyone else, makes them virtually unbeatable unless they turn the ball over 5+ times or you catch them early enough in the year where they have discombobulation after losing players to the NFL.

I thought we had the great QB, which we do, & we were going to win today, but that all changed when I saw team Human Growth Hormone come out for warm-ups. I was blown away by their size, strength, & speed. They are clearly recruiting in different waters. Sure, Mullen made some poor play calls & Hev's OL clearly sucks, but Kiffen made many poor play calls today as well. Alabama made poor blocks as well. But, due to their talent level, it doesn't matter. We pay dearly for every mistake we make & they rarely have to pay the piper. I simply can't blame coaches for not calling a perfect game.

To be clear, if you took the best players off Georgia & Texas A&M & put them on one team, Alabama would still have better players. They have had the number 1 recruiting class in the country for 4+ years in a row & have accumulated an incredible amount of talent. They have literally missed on virtually no recruit that they wanted for 4+ years. They are an NFL team that has gotten all 32 first round draft picks for 4+ years in a row. No team in college football is close to this talent except OSU.

MSU is headed in the right direction. As I watch Arkansas vs LSU & Baylor vs Oklahoma, these teams aren't close to the talent level we just faced with Bama today. I'm not sure how we ever get to Bama's talent level, but we can get more elite players than we currently have. Hell, Howland shows that big egos will sign with MSU. We must continue to win & we must get more aggressive on the recruiting trail. Until then, we'll be nothing but a pretty good team.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    What disappoints me most is that we didn't try adjusting anything on offense. And I say disappoints when it really shouldn't because I know by now that Mullen isn't going to adjust what he does on offense no matter what. It is what it is. But to me, when you see we can't hold up on the line, why not roll Dak out of the pocket for no other reason that to just see if it would work. After the first two drives I knew we were in trouble. Instead of hitting some short routes we try to throw downfield. We just couldn't give Dak time to do that. Go back and look at Bama's first play from scrimmage. We should have done the same thing.

But you're right...it boils down to the Jimmy's and the Joe's. I'm hoping Dan notices Howland and Schaefer landing all these 4-5 stars and says, hey, maybe we should try that too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm ashamed. I'm ashamed that I actually talked myself into thinking we had a chance today.

Don't get wrong, I think we are a pretty good team. We are well coached, we have pretty good players, pretty good stadium, & pretty good size fan base. All in all we are pretty good. I actually think that we can beat all but two programs in college football, Alabama & Ohio State. We are pretty good, but their talent advantage over us, & pretty much everyone else, makes them virtually unbeatable unless they turn the ball over 5+ times or you catch them early enough in the year where they have discombobulation after losing players to the NFL.

I thought we had the great QB, which we do, & we were going to win today, but that all changed when I saw team Human Growth Hormone come out for warm-ups. I was blown away by their size, strength, & speed. They are clearly recruiting in different waters. Sure, Mullen made some poor play calls & Hev's OL clearly sucks, but Kiffen made many poor play calls today as well. Alabama made poor blocks as well. But, due to their talent level, it doesn't matter. We pay dearly for every mistake we make & they rarely have to pay the piper. I simply can't blame coaches for not calling a perfect game.

To be clear, if you took the best players off Georgia & Texas A&M & put them on one team, Alabama would still have better players. They have had the number 1 recruiting class in the country for 4+ years in a row & have accumulated an incredible amount of talent. They have literally missed on virtually no recruit that they wanted for 4+ years. They are an NFL team that has gotten all 32 first round draft picks for 4+ years in a row. No team in college football is close to this talent except OSU.

MSU is headed in the right direction. As I watch Arkansas vs LSU & Baylor vs Oklahoma, these teams aren't close to the talent level we just faced with Bama today. I'm not sure how we ever get to Bama's talent level, but we can get more elite players than we currently have. Hell, Howland shows that big egos will sign with MSU. We must continue to win & we must get more aggressive on the recruiting trail. Until then, we'll be nothing but a pretty good team.
    Honestly, I think the only way for us to do it would be to get a Saban of our own. Which is what we essentially did in basketball.

And I'm not saying that we should go that route at this point in time because I honestly have no idea who would fit that bill and be realistic for us to get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

A sane post. Those have been in really short supply here. I don't like what you posted, I can tell you don't either. It's the truth though. The key, as you pointed out is to keep winning. Do that and the recuiting will slowly get better. It will come. The quick fix is to hire Saben away from Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    A sane post. Those have been in really short supply here. I don't like what you posted, I can tell you don't either. It's the truth though. The key, as you pointed out is to keep winning. Do that and the recuiting will slowly get better. It will come. The quick fix is to hire Saben away from Bama.
    Ironically enough the reason Alabama has Saban is because their fans complained so much about their past coaches post Bear until thier AD pretty much just decided to pony up and bring in the best. Which totally goes against your grand delusion for MSU. Just wanted to point that out to you.

vCash
    All our jimmy and Joes need is some ballet lessons apparently

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Ironically enough the reason Alabama has Saban is because their fans complained so much about their past coaches post Bear until thier AD pretty much just decided to pony up and bring in the best. Which totally goes against your grand delusion for MSU. Just wanted to point that out to you.
    The reason Bama has Saban had nothing to do with fans whining..lol. They have Saban because they're Alabama with a history of National Titles and it's easy to win there. Stop trying to make people think whining would have changed today's outcome

vCash
    I agree with your post but I think this season hinges on two things...we have an offensive line that can't block Girl Scouts and our best RB seems to have a case of Moultrie Knee. We had no threat of a running game against bama so their line could pin their ears back and just rush Dak. Since their front 4 was decimating our line they could drop their LB's into coverage or spy Dak to contain his run. Our receivers were able to get open but Dak was usually on his back before he could get them the ball. We have an elite QB, a very good receiving Corp, but after that our talent level is shit on offense. You can't beat an elite team with that set up. You can beat a good team but not an elite. And it could be our RB's are better than I'm giving them credit for, but you just can't tell with our line.

vCash
    Our receivers were covered tightly by the most part all day long. Yes Dak held on to the ball to long but none of our receivers could shake what most thought was Bama's weakness, they were very good and quick! Only pass plays that we had success was crossing routes.

Can't see anybody n the country running against Bama, they are big, strong and fast with so many twist and stunts in their D line. Their front four makes everyone's O line look bad.

Hopefully we will get back on track against the Hogs.

vCash
    Miami also has history with national titles are they are hiring coaches that NO SEC team would touch. Alabama was also walking through the wasteland like we did with Rick Ray when they had Shula. They underachieved for years before Shula with an SEC title sprinkle in around 99 or so. I listened to a radio show the other day and they were interviewing one of Alabama's SID's or something. He said that Mal Moore was asked by Saban on the flight to Tuscaloosa, "Mal, do you think you hired the best coach in America?" Mal said, "Well, obviously so because we are sitting here." Saban said, "I'm not sure if I'm the best coach, but you hired the best recruiter in America." That is the difference. Their coaching is good, but they have thoroughbreds everywhere. We get excited when our player is named "Freak of the Week" by Tim Tebow, but they get excited when they have multiple picks in the first round every year.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    The reason Bama has Saban had nothing to do with fans whining..lol. They have Saban because they're Alabama with a history of National Titles and it's easy to win there. Stop trying to make people think whining would have changed today's outcome

vCash
    Yep, it comes down to athletes for the most part. Unless we can narrow the gap, no reason to think we can beat them.

Banned
    vCash
    Do the Jimmys and Joes account for losses to LSU and Texas A&M?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    I think we should've pulled out a victory vs lsu. aTm was a much better team when Allen was healthy. Since his injury in the 2nd half of our game, they haven't been the same team

vCash
    No.

Those teams are more talented than us, but the talent difference isn't overwhelming like it is when playing Bama. If we play well, we can beat A&M and LSU on a consistent basis. However, Alabama has twice the players those two teams have. It's an embarrassment of riches.

vCash
    Two fumbles in the red zone and playing soft killed us with A&M. A head coach and a QB with brain farts killed us with LSU.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Two fumbles in the red zone and playing soft killed us with A&M. A head coach and a QB with brain farts killed us with LSU.
    Exactly

1 loss MSU is in the CFP. No excuses about not "being there yet" because we were this year and last. Coaching got in the way.

vCash
    This.

vCash
    Explain Mike Price, Mike Shula, and Bill Curry then if Alabama could have anyone with their tradition? Also got turned down by Rich Rod of all people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    I'm hoping Dan notices Howland and Schaefer landing all these 4-5 stars and says, hey, maybe we should try that too.
    How many First rounders has Dan "as a head coach" put into the league verse Howland?