Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: It's amazing that those ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Tyler could have kept the head coaches job. It was his to keep. What wasn't his was continuing to be the athletic director as well as the football coach. He wouldn't accept the split. He was urged to take that stand by several of his "brother coaches". He was the only one that lost his job over it. They all accepted it, after what happend to him. That is what I have always understood to be what happened. Perhaps others have better info.
    So, for my understanding, he wanted to be both AD and HBC, and somebody didn't want that so he was ousted? Just curious. Dad always talked about how he thought Tyler was a good coach, but didn't elaborate. There was also some NCAA trouble as well, right?

For the record, I know I don't post much, but I am genuinely curious about this period in MSU history. I've never talked much to my dad about it (he graduated from State in 74).

I think Dan has elevated this program far beyond anything I've ever dreamed, but there is still a ton of work to do. We have to, at some point, beat someone who is truly better than us, i.e. Dan needs to grow a pair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Jackie was being nice.
    Lol. Maybe so. I always thought Jackie called it like he saw it. He might not have been correct (2001) but he was never afraid to let his opinion be known. For the record I wanted to fire Felker too. He was the guy that cemented me as a MSU guy so it wasn't easy to be on that side. In hindsight I will always wonder what would have happened had we given him that next year. My argument has never been about when we actually fired a coach ( other than Stans (timing there,not the actual firing)). It's been when we have turned on them. That and the actual firing have never been at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabaka View Post
    So, for my understanding, he wanted to be both AD and HBC, and somebody didn't want that so he was ousted? Just curious. Dad always talked about how he thought Tyler was a good coach, but didn't elaborate. There was also some NCAA trouble as well, right?

For the record, I know I don't post much, but I am genuinely curious about this period in MSU history. I've never talked much to my dad about it (he graduated from State in 74).

I think Dan has elevated this program far beyond anything I've ever dreamed, but there is still a ton of work to do. We have to, at some point, beat someone who is truly better than us, i.e. Dan needs to grow a pair.
    That's always been my understanding. I think there was some pressure from the NCAA for that. They were pushing that for everyone and obviously they got their way because I don't think there is anywhere where a program coach is the AD now. In the SEC at the time that was the usual though. The NCAA used our trouble to force it on us.

As for Dan, "growing a pair" in this context is easier said than done. Finding better offensive linemen on a consistent basis would probably do more to help there than anything.

vCash
    Ok, we will have to agree to disagree. Felker was about three plays away from 7 wins and a bowl his last year. Jackie always said we were very close and Rocky left him a good team. I agree they were all given a fair amount of time before we let them go. Have you not figured out yet that that ain't what I'm talking about? Good lord.
    So The Kang not throwing one of the most beloved figures in MSU sports under the bus is proof Felker was actually a good coach? You're a damn idiot, because Felker's career coaching record says he sucked ass as a HC.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    That's always been my understanding. I think there was some pressure from the NCAA for that. They were pushing that for everyone and obviously they got their way because I don't think there is anywhere where a program coach is the AD now. In the SEC at the time that was the usual though. The NCAA used our trouble to force it on us.

As for Dan, "growing a pair" in this context is easier said than done. Finding better offensive linemen on a consistent basis would probably do more to help there than anything.
    Elaborate on the NCAA trouble that they used to force MSU's hand on Tyler, please.

Agreed. We've got to get better on the OL and RB. Yesterday. QB and WR are obviously solid this year. DL is above average, LB is solid, and DBs are average after being ravaged by injuries. OL and RB are our most glaring weaknesses right now, with the spotlight on the OL.
    Last edited by wasabaka; 11-15-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Grammar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    So The Kang not throwing one of the most beloved figures in MSU sports under the bus is proof Felker was actually a good coach? You're a damn idiot, because Felker's career coaching record says he sucked ass as a HC.
    I agree with this. I love Rocky because he is a Dawg, but my earliest full season memory as a State fan is Tech and Ten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabaka View Post
    Elaborate on the NCAA trouble that they used to force MSU's hand on Tyler, please.

Agreed. We've got to get better on the OL and RB. Yesterday. QB and WR are obviously solid this year. DL is above average, LB is solid, and DBs are average after being ravaged by injuries. OL and RB are our most glaring weaknesses right now, with the spotlight on the OL.
    Oh come on man. I think you know this story as well as I do. Google it if not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I never argued otherwise about his record. I was 100% behind the firing at the time. I just have always wondered what would have happened if he had had one more year. He was close to turning the corner that last year.