Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's amazing that those ...

vCash

It's amazing that those ...

who try to portray MSU in a positive light are vilified on a "MSU" board. Not seeing the Forrest for the trees is an OLD tradition. It is so old MSU it hurts. There will be a ton of examples coming here I'm sure.

vCash
    Hmmm? I'm gonna need some examples!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    who try to portray MSU in a positive light are vilified on a "MSU" board. Not seeing the Forrest for the trees is an OLD tradition. It is so old MSU it hurts. There will be a ton of examples coming here I'm sure.
    Please stop with the "old MSU" shit. It's not a real thing.

vCash
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Please stop with the "old MSU" shit. It's not a real thing.
    Yes it is. Every time we lose its voice is loud. In fact the less we lose the louder it gets. I have never understood it but it's been that way since I have been alive and aware. I'm nearly 52. I'd say I've been aware of MSU athletics for at least 40 years.

vCash
    O

Yes it is. Every time we lose its voice is loud. In fact the less we lose the louder it gets. I have never understood it but it's been that way since I have been alive and aware. I'm nearly 52. I'd say I've been aware of MSU athletics for at least 40 years.
    I'm 39, been watching for 39 years. Please tell me what old MSU means.

vCash
    Old MSU means always looking for a savior. It means never buckling down and doing the long hard work it takes to become a winner. It means turning on a coach quick and hard at the least sign of not winning as many as the year before. It means bashing our own so hard that no coach can overcome the negative attitude. We have only had one coach in my lifetime manage to beat the drumbeat once it started, and he only managed it for 3 years really. That was JWS the first time it started on him. We helped the Rebs and the NCAA along eventually. UM has always played us like a virtuoso violinist on this. I hear that same old song starting again.

vCash
    Show me a coach at MSU that has been given 4-5 years, and during that time has been building something then all the sudden gets fired before completion when signs of progression and glory days ahead have been seen....

vCash
    Old MSU means always looking for a savior. It means never buckling down and doing the long hard work it takes to become a winner. It means turning on a coach quick and hard at the least sign of not winning as many as the year before. It means bashing our own so hard that no coach can overcome the negative attitude. We have only had one coach in my lifetime manage to beat the drumbeat once it started, and he only managed it for 3 years really. That was JWS the first time it started on him. We helped the Rebs and the NCAA along eventually. UM has always played us like a virtuoso violinist on this. I hear that same old song starting again.
    Yeah that is something completely made up in your head. That's not real, sorry.

vCash
    I'll make it simpler. Old MSU is about whining and complaining, no matter how good things are, about what's seen as being wrong. It's never about celebrating what is good. I remember New Year's Eve 1999. We had just cemented only the 2nd 10 win season in our history but most of the talk was about why we lost the two we lost, not about winning 10. It's time, for perhaps the first time in our history, we tried a different path.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Yeah that is something completely made up in your head. That's not real, sorry.
    Is it now? I don't think so.

Banned
    vCash
    Hey Liverpool we are all meeting in the "Fix the OL" room. I think you've wandered into Mordor looking for Frodo. Hope you can make it back to the Fix The OL room. We have some good discussion going. Maybe once you get here you can contribute some ideas on how to fix our offensive line. Or you can just keep drooling on your shirt.

vCash
    I'll make it simpler. Old MSU is about whining and complaining, no matter how good things are, about what's seen as being wrong. It's never about celebrating what is good. I remember New Year's Eve 1999. We had just cemented only the 2nd 10 win season in our history but most of the talk was about why we lost the two we lost, not about winning 10. It's time, for perhaps the first time in our history, we tried a different path.
    Yeah, no. That is complete nonsense. Not real. If anything at all you can say that is being a fan of any sports team.

vCash
    WTF are you talking about? Most of the talk about that team is how good that season was. I think the problem is you think you see the big picture when you really see something you made up in your head.

vCash
    High expectations is actually the opposite of "old MSU" in my mind. No one is cheering on a Liberty Bowl, they want to see something better and so do our coaches. Looking like Nashville, unfortunately... and I think it's good to be a little pissed about that. Shows the program and fan base is moving forward.

vCash
    I'm still waiting to hear about these coaches MSU had that were building something, progressing, but were then fired or run off before the fruits of the hard work could be seen...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_Sheen420 View Post
    Show me a coach at MSU that has been given 4-5 years, and during that time has been building something then all the sudden gets fired before completion when signs of progression and glory days ahead have been seen....
    Jackie was damn close in '96. The Bobby Wallace smoke was thick. If it wasn't for the Bama win, he was gone. You could also argue that Bob Tyler and maybe Felker fit that bill.

Eta - not defending, just looking for examples

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Most of the talk about that team is how good that season was. I think the problem is you think you see the big picture when you really see something you made up in your head.
    Memories are short, or nonexistent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by randyholloway View Post
    High expectations is actually the opposite of "old MSU" in my mind. No one is cheering on a Liberty Bowl, they want to see something better and so do our coaches. Looking like Nashville, unfortunately... and I think it's good to be a little pissed about that. Shows the program and fan base is moving forward.
    That's why I asked because I thought that's what he meant by old MSU. What he's actually saying is absurd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Jackie was damn close in '96. The Bobby Wallace smoke was thick. If it wasn't for the Bama win, he was gone. You could also argue that Bob Tyler and maybe Felker fit that bill.
    Exactly.

vCash
    You've pretty much just described human nature.

It's partially why I've always felt more enjoyment from being a State fan than I assume most fans of programs like Bama and Florida ever feel. Because the more success you have, the more the losses sting and the more the wins are nothing but relief.