Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keys to Victory Against Missouri

vCash

Keys to Victory Against Missouri

1. Don't turn the ball over on our side of the field

2. Tackle

I think this about sums it up. We do both of these things marginally well, & we'll walk out with a W. With 80+% chance of rain though, these two things could be problematic.

It really just comes down to this. Play calling, general execution, big plays, etc... are IMO secondary in this game. Just go take care of bidness & play fundamentally sound football.

vCash
    It generally always comes down to who plays the most fundamentally sound football: blocking, tackling, and holding on to the football.

vCash
    I'm a little worried about Williams and Lee fumbling the ball in the rain.

vCash
    I'm more concerned about that fact that the majority of our offensive production has been through the air. Rain is going to complicate things. We've got to play physical, smashmouth ball between the tackles to open up our outside run game and take some pressure off of the passing game.

vCash
    We will be fine in the rain, rain doesn't hurt receivers near as much as it does dbs. And, I actually think we see an average run game which we haven't had all year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

2. Tackle

I think this about sums it up. We do both of these things marginally well, & we'll walk out with a W. With 80+% chance of rain though, these two things could be problematic.

It really just comes down to this. Play calling, general execution, big plays, etc... are IMO secondary in this game. Just go take care of bidness & play fundamentally sound football.
    my keys to victory

1. show up

vCash
    after thinking about it.....actually I guess there is slightly more to it than show up, I'll revise:

1. show up

2. score a point

That should do it.

vCash
    We've got to have some success running the ball. We are a way better team, but of it's late in the game and we're up, we have to be able to run the ball to control the clock instead of relying on short passes. Especially in the rain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadawg99 View Post
    We've got to have some success running the ball. We are a way better team, but of it's late in the game and we're up, we have to be able to run the ball to control the clock instead of relying on short passes. Especially in the rain.
    If we're up at any point in the game we won't have to a dang thing. Unless they institute an new scoring system where points can be taken off the scoreboard before saturday, it will be over. Mizzou cannot score. Have you guys been following them at all?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
    my keys to victory

1. show up
    Haha I was literally coming to post the exact same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Corps View Post
    I'm more concerned about that fact that the majority of our offensive production has been through the air. Rain is going to complicate things. We've got to play physical, smashmouth ball between the tackles to open up our outside run game and take some pressure off of the passing game.
    We aren't a smashmouth team. Trying to be one when you aren't is ALWAYS a disaster. It's also EASIER for the passing game in the rain. Receivers know where they are going, defensive backs don't.

vCash
    As long as the QB can hold onto the ball and not throw some ducks with it slipping out.

We should be fine and I would expect a ton of short passes to Dear and Holloway early in lieu of runs. Ideally we'd run Dak but I think we will do everything we can to no run him more than 5-8 times to keep him from getting dinged up before Bama

vCash
    score 3 tds and that should be enough.

vCash
    I don't doubt that it's easier for a receiver to get open in the rain. What I have doubts about is the ease of throwing and catching in the rain. I know the new receiver gloves have been mentioned, so maybe it's a moot point...but I'm still worried about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Are you assuming we give up 2 special team TD's and two FGS?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
    If we're up at any point in the game we won't have to a dang thing. Unless they institute an new scoring system where points can be taken off the scoreboard before saturday, it will be over. Mizzou cannot score. Have you guys been following them at all?
    Agreed. I want to put up 4+ TDs against a stout defense, but don't be surprised if a TD and maybe a couple field goals is more than enough to win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    3 extra points would be more than enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

2. Tackle

I'd like to score 10+ points in the 1Q and end it early.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justwin View Post
    I'd like to score 10+ points in the 1Q and end it early.
    3 pts in the 1Q will end it early.

vCash
    START FAST
    Happy Festivus