Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking: Bye Week Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking: Bye Week Edition

Halloween weekend c & d thread. We're cooking chili at in laws tomorrow night for a party but that's all I have as of now

vCash
    Did a little trick or treating with my son before the floods tomorrow. Now I've got filets on the grill, sweet potatoes in the oven and woodford in the glass. There a party with live music down the road, so I've got some entertainment as well. Not too bad.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Homemade pizza...time constrained store bought crust, alfredo sauce, sweet peppers from the garden, mozzarella cheese, and some leftover smoked boston butt. Washing it down with Straight to Ale's Monkeynaut...this 6 pack might do me in!

vCash
    I found a new craft beer, for me. It's Back Bay ESB from Biloxi. The label calls it an English style ale. What it IS is an ESB, English Style Bitter. The name is correct. I had several real ale bitters in England this summer and really liked them. This isn't quite on that level but it's not bad at all. If you like English bitter you will like this. Let it warm up just a bit, 45 degrees or so, before you drink it. That's the proper temp for a bitter. If you have never had a bitter, give it a try. It's as close as I've ever found here.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 10-30-2015 at 10:19 PM.

vCash
    I'm a fan of both of the above mentioned beers, monkeynaut and back bay esb. Good choices.

vCash
    Stumbled across monkey at a beer dinner deal and have had some in the fridge ever since. I'm a hop head, so the Back Bay probably isn't for me.

vCash

vCash
    I didn't see the post about Monkeynaut. Funnily enough I bought some of that today too. I discovered that about 2 months ago, I've had some in the fridge ever since. Good stuff.

vCash
    I've had a fith of almost pure grain moonshine I've been trying to get rid of so I made some punch for a halloween party tonight. Fifth shine, fifth peach brandy, watermelon juice, peach juice, and cherry juice. Yielded abut a gallon and a half. Had to make it sweet enough for a party but it's still packing a punch.

Wife has made so many candy snacks it's crazy. The best is some deal where she smashed up oreos in to fine dust, mixed with cream cheese, and then coated with white chocolate. Damn they're good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    smashed up oreos in to fine dust, mixed with cream cheese, and then coated with white chocolate. Damn they're good.

vCash
    My second favorite beer of the year hit the shelves in HSV today, so it will be Sierra Nevada Celebration ale through the new year for me.

Made some vinegar out of a few bottles last year that was awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Here they are along with some cupcakes and bones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    My second favorite beer of the year hit the shelves in HSV today, so it will be Sierra Nevada Celebration ale through the new year for me.

Made some vinegar out of a few bottles last year that was awesome.
    Celebration is one of my favorites too, but I seem to not drink that much when it is available. It competes seasonally with eggnog. Once eggnog comes out in the local Harris Teeter, I start chugging it to get to my winter hibernation weight. I'm a damn eggnog junky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I made a pizza as well but I made my own dough and sauce. Had enough dough to make a calzone too. Found the Biloxi Beach Blonde finally. Pretty good stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I'm a damn eggnog junky.
    I started homemaking eggnog last year using Buffalo Trace bourbon. So good was this recipie I found, my wife and sisters-in-law cleaned it out twice. Rare for a bourbon drink around those ladies, with exception to the Woodford Ruby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    I started homemaking eggnog last year using Buffalo Trace bourbon. So good was this recipie I found, my wife and sisters-in-law cleaned it out twice. Rare for a bourbon drink around those ladies, with exception to the Woodford Ruby.
    My wife found one in Martha Stewart called "Triple Shot Eggnog". It has bourbon, brandy and rum. It's so good she will only make it for me on Thanksgiving day, Christmas Eve, and New Year's Eve, because I would get so damn fat from drinking it constantly. It's liquid crack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    ..because I would get so damn fat from drinking it constantly. It's liquid crack.
    This is my problem. It is like drinking a meal per glass, and you know you should take it easy, but you just cant stop.

On a side note, spent an hour or so this afternoon grinding up 10 lbs of elk burger.

Last edited by SapperDawg; 11-01-2015 at 06:07 PM.