Thread: Kentucky 31 fescue

vCash

Kentucky 31 fescue

Need help from the turf grass dawgs.

Bought a home about a month ago, new construction. House faces east. Builder sodded the lot with Kentucky 31 fescue. I've been watering frequently, 30 minutes every other day or so. Everything looks good except north side of the house. Not sure if this is a time of year wear fescue starts getting that brownish look or if the water is running off and not soaking in.

Should I be concerned?

Banned
    vCash
    Fescue does well in cooler weather so the browning must be due to other factors. Do you have any trees?

vCash
    No trees. The north side of my house where the grass appears to be struggling is next to a vacant lot, though it looks like they are prepared to pour the slab any day now.

I will post some pics when I get home. Hopefully like you said it's just the time of year. The sod was laid roughly a month ago. Is that enough time for it's roots to take hold? Will it just come back to life in the spring?

Banned
    vCash
    Fescue needs a little shade. If you are in a brand new lot, with no trees, not sure why he put down Fescue. It's very high maintenance.

It will grow from now all the way until the beginning of summer. It doesn't do well with extreme heat.

Just water it I guess. You can always overseed the sod, then put a little fertilizer down, 13-13-13 is what I put down twice a year on my fescue. Sounds like the sod just hasn't taken yet. Only thing you can do is water.

vCash
    Thanks for your help. The corners of the sod on that side still come up easy, whereas everywhere else the roots seem to be taking hold. I'll just water the hell out of it until there is improvement.

vCash
    Just wondering, how's your sod looking? I'd back off on watering it a lot. Too much water can be detrimental. Probably water it every 3rd or 4th day.

vCash
    It is looking much better. The front and back yards seem to have deep root beds- can't pull up the sod at all.

The narrow strip along the north side (between me and neighbor) has improved, too. We had a lot of rain a couple weeks ago so I haven't watered it myself at all.

There are brown spots but I'm told that is normal for fescue in the fall and winter.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SignalToNoise View Post
    It is looking much better. The front and back yards seem to have deep root beds- can't pull up the sod at all.

The narrow strip along the north side (between me and neighbor) has improved, too. We had a lot of rain a couple weeks ago so I haven't watered it myself at all.

There are brown spots but I'm told that is normal for fescue in the fall and winter.
    Fescue should be green and growing right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    Fescue should be green and growing right now.
    Glad to hear it's looking better but yes, Fescue should be green and growing right now.....Hard to say what the brown spots are. Could be Dollar Spot disease. http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intro...ollarspot.aspx or if the areas are larger you could have Brown Patch Disease. http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intro...ollarspot.aspx. Both are easy to cure with a fungicide.....if it's dollar spot your could probably just apply a 1/4 of N per 1000 sq. ft. and it would grow out of it but if it's brown patch then you'll need to go with the fungicide.

Take a soil test to see what going on with your soil....pH level, P, K, secondary and micronutrient levels. As much as I love MSU....I wouldn't suggest you send your soil to Starkville to be tested. When you decide to do this, a very good independent lab would be A&L Labs - Memphis, TN. http://www.allabs.com/ You'll want them to do an S3M soil test.....this is a more in depth test than a basic soil test.

Good Luck