Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyson Carter not visiting Ohio State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    No disrespect but Stans was a really good recruiter. Howland is an elite recruiter.
    Well Stans would have been an elite recruiter if he had had Howland's pedigree. Stans probably recruited at as high a level as he could for a guy that in his entire 14 years as a HC never made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney and never put a player in the NBA that lasted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

On top of that, he thinks he has a recruiting advantage here.
    Glad he thinks that but curious why he thinks that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well Stans would have been an elite recruiter if he had had Howland's pedigree. Stans probably recruited at as high a level as he could for a guy that in his entire 14 years as a HC never made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney and never put a player in the NBA that lasted.
    If you count the guys who went pro before 1 and done was the rule, you could call Stans a borderline elite recruiter. Those guys were the equivalent of Malik.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

This is a good point

Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If you count the guys who went pro before 1 and done was the rule, you could call Stans a borderline elite recruiter. Those guys were the equivalent of Malik.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    The reason I wouldn't call Stans an elite recruiter is because he had some very very good classes but he also had some very meh classes as well. Again not taking anything away from him he was very good just not elite.

vCash
    This...

Stans had the greatest win percentage of a power 5 coach not to make a sweet 16 in the last 25 years. The regular season success speaks for itself. We all wish a couple postseasons had gone differently but they are what they are...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    The reason I wouldn't call Stans an elite recruiter is because he had some very very good classes but he also had some very meh classes as well. Again not taking anything away from him he was very good just not elite.
    Yeah, that's why I was considering him borderline. I honestly couldn't tell you whether those meh classes were the years that our #1 went pro or not. But, he also had the knack of pulling a rabbit out of his hat like Roberts that made you go "damn, he's good".

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah, that's why I was considering him borderline. I honestly couldn't tell you whether those meh classes were the years that our #1 went pro or not. But, he also had the knack of pulling a rabbit out of his hat like Roberts that made you go "damn, he's good".
    ....And Moultrie

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Glad he thinks that but curious why he thinks that?
    I'm not ScottH, but I'll give it a shot:

Our basketball facilities, weight room, practice courts, etc. are second to only a very very select few. He can also play the small town/little distraction card, which appeals to players who want to work hard and dedicate themselves to get better in college so that they can move on to the NBA. IMO, Howland wants us to be known as a basketball player development factory.
    It is also underestimated by fans the amount of support he gets from Keenum and Stricklin. Howland's mentioned multiple times that both are MSU grads who understand what athletics and basketball can mean to a university, which is something you don't see everywhere.
    SEC money also helps.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

vCash
    Another advantage with some of the elite players is that we are one of the few Adidas Schools in the Deep South. I'm not saying the man can't coach or recruit but he's using his relationships very well. Poor Rick Ray did a great job cleaning up the train wreck but he never had a chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post

Our basketball facilities, weight room, practice courts, etc. are second to only a very very select few. He can also play the small town/little distraction card, which appeals to players who want to work hard and dedicate themselves to get better in college so that they can move on to the NBA. IMO, Howland wants us to be known as a basketball player development factory.
    It is also underestimated by fans the amount of support he gets from Keenum and Stricklin. Howland's mentioned multiple times that both are MSU grads who understand what athletics and basketball can mean to a university, which is something you don't see everywhere.
    SEC money also helps.

You got it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post

SEC money also helps.

Plus our history shows we have a high ceiling. We could e won a national championship here in 1996, vey close.

vCash
    I can't wait to go to some games this season. I've missed the old atmosphere at the Hump, it feels like it was ages ago. Now it's going to be even better and crazier.

vCash
    He said this would be his last head coaching job

vCash
    I hope so. I know winning cures all ills in that department, but it has been a long time since the hump was "what it used to be". None of the current students have ever been to a packed out Humphrey Coliseum. How many students know enough about Ben Howland to be excited just based on that?
    Leicester Till I Die

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    I hope so. I know winning cures all ills in that department, but it has been a long time since the hump was "what it used to be". None of the current students have ever been to a packed out Humphrey Coliseum. How many students know enough about Ben Howland to be excited just based on that?
    It doesn't take much to get students excited. Just win. They don't have to know anything.

vCash
    What ultimately shows if Howland's got it, will be if he can teach the students not to rush through the "Maroon, White, Fight Fight Fight" cheer.**

Banned
    vCash
    do we have any big guys committed for the 2016 season? are we looking good on any big guys for that class?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    do we have any big guys committed for the 2016 season? are we looking good on any big guys for that class?

We are looking pretty good right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    What ultimately shows if Howland's got it, will be if he can teach the students not to rush through the "Maroon, White, Fight Fight Fight" cheer.**
    I heard they already finished for the game today.