Thread: MSU has had 1 QB start for the NFL

vCash

MSU has had 1 QB start for the NFL

Joe Reed. he played 8 years in the NFL and started for the Lions.But the cool thing is He was also a singer and put out some albums, Check this out

https://youtu.be/NTYgrR1bSto

vCash
    Joe Reed
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 195
    Born: 1/8/1948 Newport , RI
    College: Mississippi State
    Experience: 8 Seasons

I remember when he played at MSU. I think he came out of JUCO, but he was good....drafted in the 11th round.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash

QB'd MSU to a 19-14 victory in the first Egg Bowl that mattered to me - 1970

nm
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Joe Reed

I remember when he played at MSU. I think he came out of JUCO, but he was good....drafted in the 11th round.

vCash
    He transferred in from Baylor. And he beat Archie in that Egg Bowl. He completed 74 passes to David Smith that year.

vCash
    Many people don't know that Archie's record against us was 1-1-1. Sophomore tie 17-17. Junior win 48-22. Senior loss 19-14(although he was hurt and had to watch from the sidelines. Shug Chumbler qb'd that day against Joe Reed and the boys).
    Our family was at Ole Miss cousins ' house for thanksgiving. My dad and I listened to the second half in our car in the driveway. I was 10 years old and still remember Jack's ecstatic call of Frank Dowsing 's end zone interception to seal it. What a day!

vCash
    Yes, I went to Oxford for the game that day. It was freezing that morning and I wore the heaviest clothes I had. Sun came out and warmed up hotter than it was supposed to and I burned up, but Dowsing's interception and the win made it worth it!

vCash
    I remember David Smith making an awesome catch in the back of the endzone. He laid out in the driving rain at Starkville. That was the Year Archie beat us.

vCash
    Yeah that was 1969

vCash
    Some people don't remember Don Smith. He was our starting QB after John Bond. Even though he played mostly RB and KR for Tampa Bay and Buffalo, he does have a few plays as a QB in a few NFL games.

Banned
    vCash
    Johnny Reb , Johnny Reb, what happened today when you and the Bullies came to play. it was a shame 'Ol Arch was lame, but not even he could have changed this game. in the opening quarter our 1st downs were plenty, but the poor ol' rebs, didn't get any.

and when our Reed was run out of bounds, the poor rebel bench had to act like clowns. (yes, their bench kicked him while he was down on the sidelines)

but how sweet it is we kicked their ass!

if anybody remembers that poem, it would be great if you / they could fill in the blanks. I was a 6 year old who begged my dad to take me to the game but he thought I was too young to handle the road trip from the delta. I sat in my chair listening on the radio in my room. I sat with full attention to Jack's every word getting up only during breaks to take a leak. my mom's mind was blown and she was heartbroken watching me. she gave my dad an earful when he got home and I never missed a road game after that.

vCash
    Yep, Joe is my uncle (or maybe ex-uncle, as he has since divorced my father's sister). I believe he competed with Spurrier for a few starts at the 49ers for a few years in the early 70s. His kids (my cousins) were extremely athletic, too. One played QB at Memphis and UNLV. Another wanted to play baseball for Polk, but didn't (I was too young to be told what happened). I think he ended up playing at A&M or Texas Tech. They have a pretty sweet restaurant in Austin, TX for anyone out that way called Roll-On Sushi diner.

vCash
    [QUOTE=AROB44;426272]Joe Reed

RI ? Someone mention RI ? And Newport ? Ah , my old stomping grounds .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    Some people don't remember Don Smith. He was our starting QB after John Bond. Even though he played mostly RB and KR for Tampa Bay and Buffalo, he does have a few plays as a QB in a few NFL games.
    Don Smith, one of my all time players at Msu. I can only imagine how good he would have been playing under Mullen.

vCash
    We did have a back up QB play in the NFL. Hal Chelander , he played for the Vikings.I think He held the clip Board for a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Stevens View Post
    Yep, Joe is my uncle (or maybe ex-uncle, as he has since divorced my father's sister). I believe he competed with Spurrier for a few starts at the 49ers for a few years in the early 70s. His kids (my cousins) were extremely athletic, too. One played QB at Memphis and UNLV. Another wanted to play baseball for Polk, but didn't (I was too young to be told what happened). I think he ended up playing at A&M or Texas Tech. They have a pretty sweet restaurant in Austin, TX for anyone out that way called Roll-On Sushi diner.
    Joe did cut some country Albums. He could really sing.