Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troy and QBs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    That may happen. But I think our points totals is more of leaving points on the field vs is only able to score what we have so far. Even going back to last year at Alabama, every SEC game we have played since, with maybe the exception of LSU this year, we are leaving at least 7-14 points per game on the field. Even the USM game we left points on the field. Clean up the execution and finishing of drives, we may be 4-1 or 5-0 right now. Maybe another win at the end of last year. Opposing defenses had something to do with it of course, but its different than only scoring what we have been because that is all we are capable of. And where a lot of the frustration is coming from.
    I can agree with some of this but I think our biggest problem not finishing drives is a lack of physicality. This in turn goes back to not getting the job done, if you can't be physical in the red zone your going to have trouble scoring. I also think we will get back to being a more physical team next year hopefully on both sides of the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I can agree with some of this but I think our biggest problem not finishing drives is a lack of physicality. This in turn goes back to not getting the job done, if you can't be physical in the red zone your going to have trouble scoring. I also think we will get back to being a more physical team next year hopefully on both sides of the ball.
    Well I didn't get into specifics of why we are not executing and finishing drives. I actually think that it is multiple reasons that being one, turnovers in the redzone or when we are driving because of player mistakes is another problem, etc. My point was just the points are there for us we are just not getting it done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    I'd prefer to see them both given their time in strings or big chunks, rather than alternating series. I agree that they need a chance to, "get into the flow" to maximize their experience.
    disagree- don't want the last going with the ragtags and against the ragtags just trying to run the clock out

Alternate series and let them go while there are still starters out there for both to face
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Staley won me over with that throw against NW State. He has the strongest arm out of any QB that Mullen has had so far.

vCash
    Fitz threw a 65 yard bomb across his body scrambling and hitting Gray on the run.
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    Staley's throw was effortless. These are good problems to have though.

vCash
    Yeah the corner bit on the pump fake and it was smooth sailing from there. Very good problems.
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    I'm more worried about who we play at RB. I want to see Williams and D Lee early and often. I'd love to see Dear play some RB but recognize it might not be practical to move him to RB without at least a spring and summer to work on the playbook, pass blocking, reads, etc. If neither Williams nor Lee are the answer, I want to advertise to High school and JUCO RBs that the starting position is wide open for the taking next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    Staley's throw was effortless.
    It really was. Didn't even look like he really wound up; just flicked it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    Staley's throw was effortless. These are good problems to have though.
    I heard Neuheisel talking about QB drills and long balls a few weeks ago saying that he used to put garbage cans 50 yards down the field and have his QBs try to put the ball in the can without knocking it over and that the only way you could do that was to loft it up and make the ball turn over. Staley did exactly that. Thowing long balls like this rather than on a rope accomplishes two positve things. 1. It lets the receiver adjust to the ball in the air. 2. It lessens the chance that the db will be able to time a jump and get his hand on it since the trajectory is steeper when its coming in. Staley's throw was a thing of beauty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think next year we will become a true read option team again & develop a more physical mentality on offense. Should look a lot like the Relf offense with better passers & receivers.

We will return most of our offensive line, RBs, & WRs. While we don't have Dak next year, next year's offense has a chance to be more well rounded.
    Yeah, but just wait. The line this year was QBs don't matter that much. With Dak gone preseason prognosticating will make a miraculous return to the QB being the most important player on the field. Stars and returning starters matter most until we have some!
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Yeah, but just wait. The line this year was QBs don't matter that much. With Dak gone preseason prognosticating will make a miraculous return to the QB being the most important player on the field. Stars and returning starters matter most until we have some!
    This year: Dak doesn't have ANYBODY!

Next year: They have a bunch of returning starters but Dak's GONE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Heck, I wouldn't be opposed to pulling Dak after the 1st series or benching him altogether. Dak doesn't need a tuneup game.
    If the offense had been productive and had looked in sync against quality competition this year, then I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that. But aside from the second half of the LSU game, the offense has flat out looked bad so I feel like they need as much work as possible before we head back into conference play. And while Dak may not personally need a tuneup, he is the leader of the offense and he is the guy that will be on the field when it counts......so he needs to be the one on the field working out the kinks and trying to get the offense to gel.

vCash
    Dak is involved in the timing and overall execution of this offense. I hate to say it, but he needs to be in the game and he needs to run the plays we are going or would be running against teams like Ole Miss and Arkansas. Everyone needs the reps to get better at those plays. Looks like our blocking is poor, probably because those guys haven't had to sprint out to get a kick out block designed to spring a runner at game speed. Probably works wonders against our catch and chase defense in practice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Dak is involved in the timing and overall execution of this offense. I hate to say it, but he needs to be in the game and he needs to run the plays we are going or would be running against teams like Ole Miss and Arkansas. Everyone needs the reps to get better at those plays. Looks like our blocking is poor, probably because those guys haven't had to sprint out to get a kick out block designed to spring a runner at game speed. Probably works wonders against our catch and chase defense in practice.
    I agree we have to worry about Dak and the rest of our starters first.

This is a good opportunity to work on the deep passing game specifically.

vCash