Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy and QBs

vCash

Troy and QBs

So, assuming we have a fairly comfortable lead who would yall like to see more of Nick Fitz or Elijah Staley Saturday. Also, obviously we are a long ways from next year but how much of a drop off will we see at the QB position. There should obviously be some seeing that Dak is a once in a decade QB. But, since it seems we have gotten away from running the football do yall think the offense will benefit from getting back to the ground next year. We are losing Dak which you cant replace but returning a lot of skill players and gaining some experience on the O-line. thoughts?

vCash
    Biggest lost from Dak will be his leadership, don't recall ever having a player with as much respect his teammates, Coaches and fans have for a player.

vCash
    Yea, that is true fortunately Fitz and Staley have been able to learn and watch him lead for the last couple of years. That should be beneficial for both of them in the long run.

vCash
    I think next year we will become a true read option team again & develop a more physical mentality on offense. Should look a lot like the Relf offense with better passers & receivers.

We will return most of our offensive line, RBs, & WRs. While we don't have Dak next year, next year's offense has a chance to be more well rounded.

vCash
    Having a more experienced line will help a little to off set the loss of a leader like Dak. There is no doubt there will be a drop off at QB, but that will be more from a experience and leadership perspective. As Dak himself has pointed out, the guys behind him are very talented. At running back there will be more experience. We loses a lot at receiver but there are still going to be some very good experienced players there. Over all the offense will be more experienced next year than this year. In defense it's another story.

vCash
    Obviously losing Dak will hurt but half our touchdowns this year have been scored by freshmen and sophomores so I feel pretty good about our offense in the next few years.

vCash
    I want to see them both- alternate series. Both need reps
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I want to so see us get a 21-0 1st quarter lead and then have Staley and Fitz each run the team for a quarter and a half. No alternating series. Those guys needs to run multiple possessions in a row.

Heck, I wouldn't be opposed to pulling Dak after the 1st series or benching him altogether. Dak doesn't need a tuneup game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I want to see them both- alternate series. Both need reps
    this is what we did against Northwestern State I believe. Probably the most fair approach..
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Heck, I wouldn't be opposed to pulling Dak after the 1st series or benching him altogether. Dak doesn't need a tuneup game.
    as long as we have a comfortable lead, i would be ok with that...meaning at least 21 points...I would state otherwise if Dak was in the heisman discussion this year
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    We don't yet know what our leadership will be like from Fitz or Staley once one of them has taken over the #1 spot. As great a leader as Dak has been, let's not forget part of his leadership is helping the younger guys develop. I have no doubt Dak has taken that responsibility and run with it. He leads by example, but also appears to be very proactive in this regard.

I prefer to think that Dak has changed the dynamic completely, and we are at the beginning of a relative, "Golden Age" of QB at MSU, particularly with Dan's proven track record of finding and developing dual-threat QB's.

That said, we need to get back to winning big games to continue being an attractive choice for recruits, and we likely have to avoid anointing the wrong guy anytime soon. I suspect that if Dan makes a mistake with the QB, but stubbornly refuses to acknowledge it, we could break the, "chain-of-continuity" I think we need to have to sustain success at the QB spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    We don't yet know what our leadership will be like from Fitz or Staley once one of them has taken over the #1 spot. As great a leader as Dak has been, let's not forget part of his leadership is helping the younger guys develop. I have no doubt Dak has taken that responsibility and run with it. He leads by example, but also appears to be very proactive in this regard.

I prefer to think that Dak has changed the dynamic completely, and we are at the beginning of a relative, "Golden Age" of QB at MSU, particularly with Dan's proven track record of finding and developing dual-threat QB's.

That said, we need to get back to winning big games to continue being an attractive choice for recruits, and we likely have to avoid anointing the wrong guy anytime soon. I suspect that if Dan makes a mistake with the QB, but stubbornly refuses to acknowledge it, we could break the, "chain-of-continuity" I think we need to have to sustain success at the QB spot.
    I can't speak to Staley as much, but I don't think we will lack in leadership from either of them. I heard and read multiple interviews with Fitz' high school coach, and he continually talked about his leadership and what it brought to the team. Staley was also big on the whole CatchupGang and leading the Juiceboys last year. While they can't truly replace Dak from a persona standpoint, we will be fine in leadership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Obviously losing Dak will hurt but half our touchdowns this year have been scored by freshmen and sophomores so I feel pretty good about our offense in the next few years.
    I think there will be a drop off next year but the following year will be good for MSU as respect to the QB's.

vCash
    Fitz to Gray will be deadly next year.
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    I actually think our Offense will be more productive next year than this year. Of course when you're scoring 19, 17, and 17 in SEC games that isn't that hard to accomplish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    I actually think our Offense will be more productive next year than this year. Of course when you're scoring 19, 17, and 17 in SEC games that isn't that hard to accomplish.
    That may happen. But I think our points totals is more of leaving points on the field vs is only able to score what we have so far. Even going back to last year at Alabama, every SEC game we have played since, with maybe the exception of LSU this year, we are leaving at least 7-14 points per game on the field. Even the USM game we left points on the field. Clean up the execution and finishing of drives, we may be 4-1 or 5-0 right now. Maybe another win at the end of last year. Opposing defenses had something to do with it of course, but its different than only scoring what we have been because that is all we are capable of. And where a lot of the frustration is coming from.

vCash
    I want to see Staley but that's just me. Don't really have anything against Fitzgerald.

vCash
    With the experience the freshmen and sophomores are getting on offense this year we need to play Staley and Fitz more to get ready for next season. I would like for them to go ahead and work on that offensive chemistry.

vCash
    I think they both play next year. Gonna be hard for either to earn the job thru Spring and August as long as both stay healthy
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'd prefer to see them both given their time in strings or big chunks, rather than alternating series. I agree that they need a chance to, "get into the flow" to maximize their experience.