Thread: Shots fired by Landon Donovan.....

vCash

Shots fired by Landon Donovan.....

Donovan told ESPNFC that Klinsmann should be fired if the US loses the Gold Cup playoff to Mexico on Saturday. Honestly, can't say I haven't wondered if Klinsmann would be canned should we lose. This team looks completely lost since the World Cup run, outside of the friendly wins over Netherlands and Germany. Plus there are the constant reports of players hating the guy and the way he bashes MLS. Seems like the drum is really beginning to beat against Klinsmann.

Thoughts? Is Donovan correct or is this simply sour grapes? Do you think Klinsmann should go if the US fails to make the Gold Cup or does he deserve more time?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Who is Donovan and who is Klinsman?
    Yes- that Behr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Donovan told ESPNFC that Klinsmann should be fired if the US loses the Gold Cup playoff to Mexico on Saturday. Honestly, can't say I haven't wondered if Klinsmann would be canned should we lose. This team looks completely lost since the World Cup run, outside of the friendly wins over Netherlands and Germany. Plus there are the constant reports of players hating the guy and the way he bashes MLS. Seems like the drum is really beginning to beat against Klinsmann.

Thoughts? Is Donovan correct or is this simply sour grapes? Do you think Klinsmann should go if the US fails to make the Gold Cup or does he deserve more time?
    Yes, Donovan is sour grapes. One of the best figurative statements made by Klinsmann was releasing Donavon. It showed, I don't care who you are or what you've done. If you're not one of the best 20, you don't belong on the roster. Klinsmann shouldn't be fired if they lose, but they won't lose. He's improved our team so much. As of right now, I agree with Klinsmann on the MLS. Yes, it's improving but our best players won't excel here. To maximize our players potential, they need to be sent overseas to train in those organizations. I'm rooting for the MLS to eventually get there though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Behrdawg View Post
    Who is Donovan and who is Klinsman?
    Landon Donovan - retired US soccer player, leading scorer in USMNT history. Left off the 2014 World Cup squad in a semi-controversial decision.

Jurgen Klinsmann - current USMNT HC. Made the decision to leave Donovan off the WC squad, resulting in heat between he & Klinsmann.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    He should absolutely be gone if we lose. Not only bc of this game, but bc of the Jamaica and Panama games. We've reached a higher standard than that. At least that's what JK says. Make him reach that standard or can him.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post

Donovan is a ***** and can't handle the discipline and demanding nature of a German. I don't think it's Klinsmann's fault that it seems our best players don't show up for our biggest games....I'm looking at you Bradley!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Donovan is a ***** and can't handle the discipline and demanding nature of a German. I don't think it's Klinsmann's fault that it seems our best players don't show up for our biggest games....I'm looking at you Bradley!
    This. I loved it when Donovan tweeted about how great it was that Abby Wambach was providing quality veteran leadership at the World Cup, Alexis Lalas snapped back with Klinsman would have played a quality vet too if there had been one.
    Donovan was 5 years passed his prime and had no business being on that team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I blame a lot of our bad performances in those games on where Klinsmann is playing our players and our tactics. That's why they aren't succeeding

vCash
    Guess I'll jump in and contribute to my own thread now that we've got several replies.

My take is this: These comments are definitely driven by Donovan's need to lash out at Klinsmann. However, he's not wrong in this instance.

The squad has looked pretty much clueless outside of the two friendlies against Netherlands and Germany. The losses to Jamaica and Panama are indefensible, and as Dudy pointed out, Klinsmann himself believes our standards are higher than that. Plus, Klinsmann went with a really veteran squad for those matches instead of grooming guys because he considered the Gold Cup Tourney a must win. So not only did we lose with what is allegedly our "best" group, we didn't build for the future by playing any of the young guys. And it should be noted it was the young kids who pulled off the two big friendly wins.

All that to say, if we don't beat Mexico on Saturday, Klinsmann should be gone. Every other major soccer power would pull the plug. Especially when the coach is constantly ripping the domestic league he relies on for his players. True or not, you have to know when to keep your mouth shut or at the very least make your point tactfully. Klinsmann can't do either. And the clincher for me is that I don't feel like he's earned the respect of the players. They just aren't buying in to what he wants to build. So I say cut bait and find someone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    I blame a lot of our bad performances in those games on where Klinsmann is playing our players and our tactics. That's why they aren't succeeding

This is some, but not all, of the problem too. I love moving Yedlin up to the midfield. He's been a huge spark there. But Zardes needs to be up front, not out as a wide mid. We're still trying to figure out the back 4 and I'm not sold on Guzan as Howard's replacement at GK. He's looked ok internationally, but he's been pretty terrible as Aston Villa's #1.

Mostly, I'm sick of him constantly choosing a squad full of vets who clearly don't have the fire anymore and have gotten really slow. The only vets I'm comfortable with right now are Dempsey and Bradley. Altidore, Mix, Beckerman, etc. need to be thanked for their service and how they've helped build the program then put out to pasture.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    This. I loved it when Donovan tweeted about how great it was that Abby Wambach was providing quality veteran leadership at the World Cup, Alexis Lalas snapped back with Klinsman would have played a quality vet too if there had been one.
    Donovan was 5 years passed his prime and had no business being on that team.
    No no...Lalas said "You're right, Donovan. Klinnsman should have gotten Abby Wambach on the Men's squad for that leadership."
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    No no...Lalas said "You're right, Donovan. Klinnsman should have gotten Abby Wambach on the Men's squad for that leadership."
    Yeah, you're right - I didn't look it up. I just remembered reading it and thinking Donovan was an ass and Alexi called him out.

Shift gears - Ref, what the hell is up with your Foxes?? They look like a totally different club this year.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yeah, you're right - I didn't look it up. I just remembered reading it and thinking Donovan was an ass and Alexi called him out.

Shift gears - Ref, what the hell is up with your Foxes?? They look like a totally different club this year.
    Ranieri hasn't tinkered too much, which is what he was known for in previous jobs. I also think that he was humbled with his stint in Greece.

Also helps that we got a couple of really good guys in the Transfer window. But I wish we could have seen how the Foxes would have been if we still had Cambiasso. I'm not arguing with how my Foxes are going.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner