Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to cool down b4 posting, but I have to say this...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We should have had Lee, Dear, and Williams more involved in the offense by now. I would have played those 3 a lot in games 1, 3, and 4, along with Gabe. Now we may have to do without Gabe, and I'm afraid Williams won't get to play anymore meaningful snaps this year because the fumble. Dan doesn't seem to mind when veteran players fumble, but young guys..
    I agree. Playmakers make plays, and we do a poor job of getting our playmakers the ball....or even on the field in some cases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't think we're necessarily asking Dan to run a lot of flea flickers, statue of Liberty's, etc. I think Cadaver is talking about creativity in terms of variety in terms of play calling rather than the same predictable thing over and over.

Like when Dan first got here and we would come out in the wishbone on the goal line sometimes- I LOVED that. It wasn't creative in terms of being fancy- but it was a nice wrinkle.

If I am correct on that, then I agree.
    Exactly what I'm saying.

And he knows that's what I'm saying...he is just obsessed with arguing with me for some reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We should have had Lee, Dear, and Williams more involved in the offense by now. I would have played those 3 a lot in games 1, 3, and 4, along with Gabe. Now we may have to do without Gabe, and I'm afraid Williams won't get to play anymore meaningful snaps this year because the fumble. Dan doesn't seem to mind when veteran players fumble, but young guys..
    Totally agree. The next two weeks finding a running back needs to be priority number one. I know Dan likes a feature back, but I personally prefer an athlete guy and then a two back system in today's age of football. Unless we have someone like Fournette- which we don't. And my committee would be Lee and Williams and then use Dear as the athlete guy with more of an emphasis at running back than slot WR. I'd also move Shumpert to H-Back/FB full time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    10000% agree. It's really been my only complaint with Mullen over his tenure. Well that and being scared to play more talented young players over vets, but I think that kinda conservative thinking goes hand in hand.
    Yea, it all comes back to what you just said...being "scared". If you coach scared, you'll never win the big ones. You gotta take shots and be aggressive, and put your best players on the field and in position to make plays. That's a hell of a lot better way to lose than watching our talent rot on the bench or without the ball in their hands while Shumpert drops another stumbling, bumbling, pass that could give us momentum or a win. Give it everything you've got every game...at least that way you've got no regrets and can sleep at night. Our playing not to lose is like dying a slow death.

vCash
    Mullen will also regularly sit on the ball at the end of the half when we have the time to get into fg range, or maybe break or maybe even break a bug play. But instead we'll run out over a minute of clock on dive plays and take a couple of timeouts into the locker room with us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    You moron. You can even be creative in a running game. And besides, when you don't have a rushing attack, what do you suggest? Just quit?! No, you suggest we be uncreative like we have been vs LSU, A&M,, and the end of last season, and lose. And then play Gene the sunshine pumper.

You can only grind it out and win uncreatively, if you have more talent than your opponent, and we do not. So quit ****ing up my threads with your unknowledgeable babble. You clearly aren't understanding me, and your "creative" is not the same as most normal football people's "creative".
    I think I get to return the favor tonight. How much have you been drinking? LOL.

You seem to be mistaking fundamental football with "grinding it out" or winning on talent. That is far, far from the truth. We aren't executing what we are trying to do. Not consistently. That is fundamental football.

vCash
    It's almost as if we approach all big games from a standpoint of, "let's just try to get in position to be within striking distance in the 4th quarter". That shit may have been acceptable in the Croom years or if we were a SunBelt school playing SEC powers....but not for the current MSU. We didn't smoke LSU and Auburn's asses last year by coming into those games on our heels. We punched them in the mouth. But since Auburn last season...we haven't punched any big boys in the mouth at any point during a big game. (Ark, Bama, OM, GT, LSU 2015, A&M 2015). Hell, we don't even punch shitty teams in the mouth most times...like Auburn last weekend. We should have beaten that bunch by 20-28 points...but instead they had a chance to tie it with an onside kick recovery. No killer instinct.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 10-04-2015 at 01:16 AM.

vCash
    Exactly what I'm saying.

And he knows that's what I'm saying...he is just obsessed with arguing with me for some reason.
    I'm not obsessed with you. It's just that you and I seem to be the most active posters on here at the moment. I DO usually disagree with you though. Nothing wrong with that. Keep it coming!

vCash
    Mullen will also regularly sit on the ball at the end of the half when we have the time to get into fg range, or maybe break or maybe even break a bug play. But instead we'll run out over a minute of clock on dive plays and take a couple of timeouts into the locker room with us.
    Yea, we basically did that tonight, and A&M marched down the field in about 20 seconds and scored a TD. That was a killer too. Poor offense and defense in the last 2 minutes of the half tonight. Would have been huge to only be down 7 at half.

vCash
    It's almost as if we approach all big games from a standpoint of, "let's just try to get in position to be within striking distance in the 4th quarter". That shit may have been acceptable in the Croom years or if we were a SunBelt school playing SEC powers....but not for the current MSU. We didn't smoke LSU and Auburn's asses last year by coming into those games on our heels. We punched them in the mouth. But since Auburn last season...we haven't punched any big boys in the mouth at any point during a big game. (Ark, Bama, OM, GT, LSU 2015, A&M 2015)
    Well, when you are playing teams that are equal to or better than you getting it to the 4th in striking distance is generally the idea. We were better than LSU, Auburn, and A&M last year, hands down. By the way, I'm sure you are just........confused..........but we surely did punch one team in the mouth after A&M last year. That would be Auburn. I love how the goal posts keep moving. THAT is progress.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 10-04-2015 at 01:20 AM.

vCash
    10000% agree. It's really been my only complaint with Mullen over his tenure. Well that and being scared to play more talented young players over vets, but I think that kinda conservative thinking goes hand in hand.
    I don't know why he doesn't trust younger players. I can understand why you wouldn't in general- but he doesn't seem to make exceptions unless there is literally no one else that can play a position and there is no other choice.

vCash
    By the way, If you think me saying reset your sights and get behind the team is sunshine pumping..........then I can't help you understand where I'm coming from at all. That is about as far from sunshine pumping as you can get. Saying Mullen is the guy has everything to do with the long term. You have to build a base first. That does NOT consist of winning big in any one year. The overall trajectory is up, and more up than it has been in my lifetime. That does NOT mean its a straight line.

vCash
    Agree. There was no "unbelievable, relentless, effort" from Mullen's coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    Agree. There was no "unbelievable, relentless, effort" from Mullen's coaching.
    +1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    By the way, If you think me saying reset your sights and get behind the team is sunshine pumping..........then I can't help you understand where I'm coming from at all. That is about as far from sunshine pumping as you can get. Saying Mullen is the guy has everything to do with the long term. You have to build a base first. That does NOT consist of winning big in any one year. The overall trajectory is up, and more up than it has been in my lifetime. That does NOT mean its a straight line.

You can acknowledge Mullen is a good overall coach and arguably the best we've ever had and he's taken the program a long long way from the croom era, and still acknowledge he has some infuriating tendencies that seem to hold us back from being even better. Just because it's better than it's ever been doesn't mean he's beyond criticism.

vCash
    You can acknowledge Mullen is a good overall coach and arguably the best we've ever had and he's taken the program a long long way from the croom era, and still acknowledge he has some infuriating tendencies that seem to hold us back from being even better. Just because it's better than it's ever been doesn't mean he's beyond criticism.
    Bingo

vCash
    And you can do that without relentlessly hammering home every fault over and over again. I can understand doing that to a rival like Freeze, but doing it to your own is more than a bit........interesting.

Mullen has taken the program a long way from any era except possibly McKeen's, and that was a different world.

Banned
    vCash
    And you can do that without relentlessly hammering home every fault over and over again. I can understand doing that to a rival like Freeze, but doing it to your own is more than a bit........interesting.

Mullen has taken the program a long way from any era except possibly McKeen's, and that was a different world.
    Disagree. Mullen can either fix his infuriating tendencies himself or Mullen can go somewhere else. Only way he's going to know about them is if people talk about them. That's your fear right that he'll leave? Seriously doubt he'd ever leave since he's too scared to run his own damn offense like its suppose to be run yet you think he's got the balls to leave it? He shackles his own offense. By personnel and by play calling. Probably shackles his own defense too.

vCash

You do realize this is a message board. It's what you do. Discuss the good and bad. When you lose.......the discussion will tend to be tilted to the con's.

vCash
    But we are consistent at the untimely punt shank.