Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Butch Going to Auburn?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Avelso View Post
    Couple of things

Butch would walk to AU. It's not about money or anything else. It's common sense.

Cohen left MO (I think it was MO) at Christmas break when he took the northwestern st job years ago. Dave VanHorn took the Nebraska job to open that job. When wheels turn wheels turn.

My concern with butch is his ability to build a staff that would hurt our al/ms recruiting. I feel confident that lane Burroughs would go with him as associate head coach.

Jay Powell has zero interest in being a college baseball coach. He has a pile of cash and enjoys the outdoors too much. He's not going to spend his Saturday's telling 17 year olds how awesome they are. If you'll notice very few pro guys become college coaches. They HATE the recruiting process. There are exceptions but very few.

If Butch leaves he will be replaced and replaced well. John offered the pitching coach job to someone else before butch back when he took the job. Butch had accepted a lower tier job and resigned after a couple of weeks.

Jack Leggett would be a very safe hire right now for auburn considering the situation.

Last but not least. I was told a couple of weeks ago that the 2 biggest jerks in all of college athletics were Galloway and Buddy Stephens. Amazing that they both made the news this weekend.
    I would ask Powell only for an interim position only if the need arose. I know he would not want to be a full time coach and do all of the recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Avelso View Post
    I feel confident that lane Burroughs would go with him as associate head coach.
    Why would Burroughs leave a head coaching position to go to AU as an assistant?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    MS JUCO football at it's finest.
    You got that right. Some think they are Woody Hayes out there. Not that the refs don't have issues to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Losing him would be bad, no doubt...especially this time of year. That being said, would you all agree that now would be better than 2-3 years ago, considering the ball seam change? Seems like he was a master at turning shit into salad by dropping arm angle and adding sink...but with the new Seams, looks like power arms will take priority. Or am I way off? Not downplaying that I don't want to lose him, of course.
    He was pretty masterful in the former eras of college baseball as well at the previous stops. Just, the same as our hitting, we had climbed too far down the rabbit hole for a quick fix once the change happened. If it ain't fixed this year and the staff isn't elite again -- we can have the discussion. One in five does not make a trend IMO
    Last edited by engie; 09-28-2015 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    If Butch does get the job and heads to the Plains, good for him. Its a HC job and an upgrade.

...and by that time Paps should be in enough crap in Washington that he can come down and give our pitchers some spark.***