Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Judgement Day Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- Judgement Day Edition

(this is being written after being at the game- and I have yet to read a newspaper article or much of anything)

1. Couldnt have asked for a more perfect day for football. The tailgate was set up perfectly and we had steaks flown in from Chicago. Great group of people and a good time was had until we headed into the stadium.

2. I hate our new offense. I dont know if one of the conditions for Prescott to return for a 5th year was that we phase out a good bit of the QB runs- but this shit aint cutting it. Prescott has basically 15 carries in our first two games. Thats not cutting it. He should be carrying it 15 times per game on the average. That is what the run game is predicated on- using the QB as a running threat to outnumber the defense in the box. If Dakota doesnt want to run- put Fitz in some and let him run. Our run game sux right now- and it not just on the OL. Our scheme needs to be tweaked some. And I'll get to our RB's shortly.

3. This is our 3rd SEC game in a row Mullen has been outcoached in the 1st half (Bammer, Northern Miss, and LSU). Steele and Orgeron got ya Dan. They overloaded one side once to outnumber our blockers and got a sack, they ran wide twists and blitzed a LB when we went 5 wide to screw up our protection. 52 passes? No. Just no. Hayyyyyyyyle no. Get better Mullen- either you have been figured out and need to make some changes- OR- you need to do a better job of scouting and projecting how teams are going to make adjustments to you for games. Thats 3 straight dog shit gameplans v SEC teams. 2nd half adjustments? You do a good job. A Really good job- but we are losing games because our 1st half performances are so bad right now.

Also Mullen, you have to call time out with 8 seconds left in the game and avoid your team get a delay of game penalty. That is Les Miles bad. No excuse for that. None. You ****ed up and failed as a coach right there. I know good and well with 3 offensive coaches on the headset somebody knew the play clock was running down- and if they didnt- thats even worse. Colossal **** up.

4. You are only as good as your best players play. Dakota Prescott is not running the ball and using his legs to make plays. Prescott is not making the critical throw to a wide open Shumpert to tie the game on the 2 point conversion. That pass was awful and should have been an easy throw- it was a very good playcall and Shump was open. Prescott did not see the play clock running down with the game on the line and endured a soul crushing penalty when we couldve avoided it. Fred Ross played very well- but when we needed him to make a critical catch inside the 10 in the 1st half- he dropped it and didnt make the play. The hit didnt make him drop it- he turned his head before looking it all the way in and dropped it. Then he got hit. Bennie Brown and Richie cant miss tackles. Coman cant go for the ball not get there on an LSU pass- when instead he should have tried to lay the wood on the WR to make that SOB drop it and fear the middle. Instead Coman just misses the ball, LSU WR catches it, and they score a TD on the next play. Your best players have to make the plays

5. Our OL struggled in the 1st half- but played alot better in the 2nd. Very excited by the growth in the 2nd half. This group will continue to improve- but needs help with scheme and better RB's. Warren cant whiff on a cut block to cost us a sack- but I must say he did alot better job in the 2nd picking up the twists and stunts.

6. I cant understand why Lee and Williams arent ready to play more than they do. We put Lee in for one play to catch a pass- he did- and then lowered his shoulders for a solid gain. We ran Williams once when Prescott should have kept it- and Williams lost yardage. Wasnt his fault it was a poor playcall or that Prescott made the incorrect read. Brandon Holloway is our best RB right now- and that is sad. We cant get 4-star RB's ready to play by their 2nd year of college. We cant get Gerri Green reps at LB hardly as talented as he is. If other teams can get their talented guys on the field early- so can we- if they are being coached well enough. Lee and Williams not being ready is on the coaching staff- not them.

7. #7 for LSU is soooo damn talented. We began diving and grabbing legs because that is the best way to tackle him. He is such a talent. It's fun to watch someone like that- because they dont come around all that often.

8. It took us until the 2nd half to start getting the ball to Derunnya again. Thats bullshit. Do what it takes to get the ball to your best players.

9. Redmond is working his way into Round 1 next April. He is a star out there. Jones and James battled their asses off. AJ and Ry were really good in spurts. Bennie and Richie are really good in spurts. Got to keep battling.

10. The defensive holding penalty in the 1st Quarter on us looked to be bullshit. The guy on their sideline called it. The TE was on that side and he wasnt held- then we jumped #7 on the screen they were running. Awful, awful call that allowed them to keep the ball instead of punting- and led to their 1st TD. Game changing call.

11. Our staff is one of the best at evaluating talent- but are they really good coaches? We cant get talented RB's on the field in their 2nd season. We make baffling calls. We got a delay of game penalty at the most critical juncture of the game. We cant adjust our gameplan during the 1st half on offense- and have to wait until halftime to make adjustments. We have a draft pick at WR that we cant even get the ball to in the 1st half so far this season.

12. All is not lost on this season. We HAVE to win at Auburn. HAVE TO. So what needs to happen in these two weeks to give us the best chance of winning there? We need to play the hell out of Lee and Williams this Saturday. They are the longterm solution at RB- get them reps and get them ready. Play Gerri Green and Dez Harris at LB for 90% of the snaps Saturday. Let the Brown Brothers play a couple series and then help coach those guys the rest of the game. Play our 2nd DL 75% of the game. Get them live rep after rep and force them to get better. I dont care if we beat NW State by 10 points- play these other guys and get them ready. Go back to making Prescott play like he did last year. We are a Spread Option offense- run it like its supposed to be. Cardale Jones ran it 6 times yesterday in a blowout for Ohio state- your telling me Prescott only should run it 6 times vs LSU???? LSU is a 10 win team- they are physical, have the best RB in the SEC, are improved defensively, and will get better at QB each week. A made FG at the end would have beaten them. Lets dust ourselves off, get our heads up, and get better these next 2 weeks. All is not lost by any means. Let's get the changes made so we can get back on track.

13. Kudos to the person in charge of the music at the game. I appreciate you playing Bulls on Parade 3 times in the 1st half. Elitedawgs leading the way again.

14. This not hindsight is 20/20- We were on the 29 yard line. Mullen called Prescott over to talk to him. Why not run Prescott on the power play to get a couple yards and then bring in Graves for a 44 yard FG attempt? We had a timeout. Tell Prescott to get in the middle of the field and get a couple yards. Graves has been solid so far and should be able to hit from 43-44 yards. You cant screw that situation up and then have an erratic kicker kicking a 52 yard FG with the game on the line. You just cant do that. Thats not giving your team the best chance to win as a coach. I could live with Graves missing a FG from the middle of the field from 44 yards out or so. I have a hard time living with Bell missing from 52 with the game on the line. A hard time.

Lets see what happens the next 2 weeks- the coaches have work to do.

C34
    Last edited by Coach34; 09-13-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Why oh why did we not blitz their young QB more? I thought Manny was a blitzer? Where is the damn air guitar signal, attacking scheme from 2010?
    And I agree about getting the young players out there. Ole miss plays freshmen every year and it doesn't hurt them.
    I also think that Mullen should quit being so "vanilla" in warm up games and practice doing what we do best. Dak finally got in rhythm in the second half but you are right, the running game needs to get fixed.

vCash
    Also, heard on radio that Harris only had 71 passing yards

Banned
    vCash
    Dan will never be able to step up. It is what it is. He cannot take us to the promised land.

Agreed on playing Fitz if Dak is gonna puss out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Also, heard on radio that Harris only had 71 passing yards
    That's a bit deceiving. He was 9 of 14. I thought Harris played fairly well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    (this is being written after being at the game- and I have yet to read a newspaper article or much of anything)

1. Couldnt have asked for a more perfect day for football. The tailgate was set up perfectly and we had steaks flown in from Chicago. Great group of people and a good time was had until we headed into the stadium.

2. I hate our new offense. I dont know if one of the conditions for Prescott to return for a 5th year was that we phase out a good bit of the QB runs- but this shit aint cutting it. Prescott has basically 15 carries in our first two games. Thats not cutting it. He should be carrying it 15 times per game on the average. That is what the run game is predicated on- using the QB as a running threat to outnumber the defense in the box. If Dakota doesnt want to run- put Fitz in some and let him run. Our run game sux right now- and it not just on the OL. Our scheme needs to be tweaked some. And I'll get to our RB's shortly.

3. This is our 3rd SEC game in a row Mullen has been outcoached in the 1st half (Bammer, Northern Miss, and LSU). Steele and Orgeron got ya Dan. They overloaded one side once to outnumber our blockers and got a sack, they ran wide twists and blitzed a LB when we went 5 wide to screw up our protection. 52 passes? No. Just no. Hayyyyyyyyle no. Get better Mullen- either you have been figured out and need to make some changes- OR- you need to do a better job of scouting and projecting how teams are going to make adjustments to you for games. Thats 3 straight dog shit gameplans v SEC teams. 2nd half adjustments? You do a good job. A Really good job- but we are losing games because our 1st half performances are so bad right now.

Also Mullen, you have to call time out with 8 seconds left in the game and let your team get a delay of game penalty. That is Les Miles bad. No excuse for that. None. You ****ed up and failed as a coach right there. I know good and well with 3 offensive coaches on the headset somebody knew the play clock was running down- and if they didnt- thats even worse. Colossal **** up.

4. You are only as good as your best players play. Dakota Prescott is not running the ball and using his legs to make plays. Prescott is not making the critical throw to a wide open Shumpert to tie the game on the 2 point conversion. That pass was awful and should have been an easy throw- it was a very good playcall and Shump was open. Prescott did not see the play clock running down with the game on the line and endured a soul crushing penalty when we couldve avoided it. Fred Ross played very well- but when we needed him to make a critical catch inside the 10 in the 1st half- he dropped it and didnt make the play. The hit didnt make him drop it- he turned his head before looking it all the way in and dropped it. Then he got hit. Bennie Brown and Richie cant miss tackles. Coman cant go for the ball not get there on an LSU pass- when instead he should have tried to lay the wood on the WR to make that SOB drop it and fear the middle. Instead Coman just misses the ball, LSU WR catches it, and they score a TD on the next play. Your best players have to make the plays

5. Our OL struggled in the 1st half- but played alot better in the 2nd. Very excited by the growth in the 2nd half. This group will continue to improve- but needs help with scheme and better RB's. Warren cant whiff on a cut block to cost us a sack- but I must say he did alot better job in the 2nd picking up the twists and stunts.

6. I cant understand why Lee and Williams arent ready to play more than they do. We put Lee in for one play to catch a pass- he did- and then lowered his shoulders for a solid gain. We ran Williams once when Prescott should have kept it- and Williams lost yardage. Wasnt his fault it was a poor playcall or that Prescott made the incorrect read. Brandon Holloway is our best RB right now- and that is sad. We cant get 4-star RB's ready to play by their 2nd year of college. We cant get Gerri Green reps at LB hardly as talented as he is. If other teams can get their talented guys on the field early- so can we- if they are being coached well enough. Lee and Williams not being ready is on the coaching staff- not them.

7. #7 for LSU is soooo damn talented. We began diving and grabbing legs because that is the best way to tackle him. He is such a talent. It's fun to watch someone like that- because they dont come around all that often.

8. It took us until the 2nd half to start getting the ball to Derunnya again. Thats bullshit. Do what it takes to get the ball to your best players.

9. Redmond is working his way into Round 1 next April. He is a star out there. Jones and James battled their asses off. AJ and Ry were really good in spurts. Bennie and Richie are really good in spurts. Got to keep battling.

10. The defensive holding penalty in the 1st Quarter on us looked to be bullshit. The guy on their sideline called it. The TE was on that side and he wasnt held- then we jumped #7 on the screen they were running. Awful, awful call that allowed them to keep the ball instead of punting- and led to their 1st TD. Game changing call.

11. Our staff is one of the best at evaluating talent- but are they really good coaches? We cant get talented RB's on the field in their 2nd season. We make baffling calls. We got a delay of game penalty at the most critical juncture of the game. We cant adjust our gameplan during the 1st half on offense- and have to wait until halftime to make adjustments. We have a draft pick at WR that we cant even get the ball to in the 1st half so far this season.

12. All is not lost on this season. We HAVE to win at Auburn. HAVE TO. So what needs to happen in these two weeks to give us the best chance of winning there? We need to play the hell out of Lee and Williams this Saturday. They are the longterm solution at RB- get them reps and get them ready. Play Gerri Green and Dez Harris at LB for 90% of the snaps Saturday. Let the Brown Brothers play a couple series and then help coach those guys the rest of the game. Play our 2nd DL 75% of the game. Get them live rep after rep and force them to get better. I dont care if we beat NW State by 10 points- play these other guys and get them ready. Go back to making Prescott play like he did last year. We are a Spread Option offense- run it like its supposed to be. Cardale Jones ran it 6 times yesterday in a blowout for Ohio state- your telling me Prescott only should run it 6 times vs LSU???? LSU is a 10 win team- they are physical, have the best RB in the SEC, are improved defensively, and will get better at QB each week. A made FG at the end would have beaten them. Lets dust ourselves off, get our heads up, and get better these next 2 weeks. All is not lost by any means. Let's get the changes made so we can get back on track.

13. Kudos to the person in charge of the music at the game. I appreciate you playing Bulls on Parade 3 times in the 1st half. Elitedawgs leading the way again.

14. This not hindsight is 20/20- We were on the 29 yard line. Mullen called Prescott over to talk to him. Why not run Prescott on the power play to get a couple yards and then bring in Graves for a 44 yard FG attempt? We had a timeout. Tell Prescott to get in the middle of the field and get a couple yards. Graves has been solid so far and should be able to hit from 43-44 yards. You cant screw that situation up and then have an erratic kicker kicking a 52 yard FG with the game on the line. You just cant do that. Thats not giving your team the best chance to win as a coach. I could live with Graves missing a FG from the middle of the field from 44 yards out or so. I have a hard time living with Bell missing from 52 with the game on the line. A hard time.

Lets see what happens the next 2 weeks- the coaches have work to do.

C34
    It's as if you typed this out of my mind. Agree with you on every single item.

vCash

Agendas

Creep their ugly head up but you are a dubmass so I have to remember to have mercy on the ignorant> It is hard sometimes.

Edited to add this meant to be a reply to dubmass smitty.
    Last edited by Noxdog; 09-13-2015 at 06:44 PM.

vCash
    I'll be blown away if we win at Auburn. They are playing poorly, but I'm afraid their wide receivers will be running wide open all day long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    I'll be blown away if we win at Auburn. They are playing poorly, but I'm afraid their wide receivers will be running wide open all day long.
    Can Johnson get them the ball though? If Johnson throws an int in a loss to lsu this week, I think he's gonna be getting close to the end of his string.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Dan will never be able to step up. It is what it is. He cannot take us to the promised land.

Agreed on playing Fitz if Dak is gonna puss out.
    Quit drinking and sober up damn it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    They have some injuries- and LSU is about to beat on them. Jacksonville State was blocking them yesterday. Johnson threw 2 picks to J-State. We damn well can go in there and win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Why oh why did we not blitz their young QB more? I thought Manny was a blitzer? Where is the damn air guitar signal, attacking scheme from 2010?.
    We were scared to blitz more because if we missed #7- he was gone

vCash
    They have some injuries- and LSU is about to beat on them. Jacksonville State was blocking them yesterday. Johnson threw 2 picks to J-State. We damn well can go in there and win.
    The way that Auburn defense looked against the read option, it would be a damn crime for us not to come out and abuse them with it. So we won't

vCash
    You made the basic point: We must start competing at the opening kick, not in the second half.

That penalty is a fire that will be hard to put out.

vCash
    Good post coach. But I think the Holloway drop was worse than Fred's. 14-7 at half might have made the difference.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    #3 on that list is really frustrating. Damn I hate to even think about it, but how does an ex-girl's basketball coach with little head coaching experience has his team in a better position to seriously compete for the west with a first year QB? I appreciate what Mullen has done for us, but at some point the conservative approach has to stop and we have to start getting some elite talent if we ever want to think about a championship. I don't see how we're the only team in the nation that can't get freshmen and RSFreshmen ready to make a contribution. Does it really take us 4 years to get some coached up to play?

Banned
    vCash
    Pretty good commentary as usual, Coach. One thing I am surprised you didn't mention was Diaz calling your favorite play on a critical 3rd and long on LSU's final TD drive. It was 3rd and 9 around midfield. So of course, we pull one of the country's best CB's in Redmond out of coverage and send him on the corner blitz while their RB's are held in for max protection. He doesn't even come close to getting there in time and Harris completes an easy 10 yard slant to Dural (who Coman had to pick up with Redmond on the blitz). 3 or 4 plays later, #7 is dancing into the end zone yet again. That was a pretty big tactical error in a game that included plenty of them from our coaches on both sides of the ball.

vCash
    Great as usual. I think Dan is in a rut as farm as play calling going back to last year.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

Agree with this?

I heard many people compare Dak to Tebow last year?He is missing one key thing that Tebow had?Remember when Florida lost to OM and Tebow gave his "speech". He then went on to basically carry that team on his back taking all kinds of punishment but in the end it got them a NC. Tebow's will to win trumped his thoughts of playing on Sundays. Dak hasn't shown that "this" year as of yet. He showed the hell out of it at the beginning of last year.

vCash
    Why not run Prescott on the power play to get a couple yards and then bring in Graves for a 44 yard FG attempt? We had a timeout. Tell Prescott to get in the middle of the field and get a couple yards. Graves has been solid so far and should be able to hit from 43-44 yards.
    I am still completely baffled as to why we didn't do this. Mullen just couldn't help himself....he had to overthink it, and it cost us in a serious way.