Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random takes, Doom and Gloom edition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    What stood out to me at the game:

• Our offensive line was not ready to play. I don't mind being outplayed because of talent, and I can understand new players having some trouble with communications, but our returning starters had issues. Way too easy to confuse them to allow a guy to go through untouched. Ridiculously bad. It did get better in the second half, but can't give up an entire half to figure out that you need to at least touch people on their way to hitting our QB.

• How are we this bad at RB. Shocked at how bad Dan 17ed this up. We couldn't find a legit JUCO RB? That's got to be the easiest hole to plug in JUCO, and to my knowledge, we didn't even look for a JUCO RB. That's inexcusable. And on top of that, as weird as it is to say, Lee and Williams better suck just as bad as Shumpert. A good RB would completely change the outlook for this offense. If we waste Dak's senior year b/c of shitty RB play, we better not have a good option on the roster. Dan better be looking at JUCO options for RB next year now.

• The game was much worse than the score. We were able to come back b/c Les did what Les does, took a solid lead as an opportunity to go ultra conservative on offense with a belief that his D wouldn't allow the other team to catch up as long as his O avoided turnovers. For those people excited about how we played in the second half, they need to remember that Les closed up 90% of his playbook and then we started catching up. We didn't really show that we could stop them if he tried to be a little balanced.

• Dak is not Dak right now. He just hasn't thrown the ball well. I assume he is going to figure it out. Unless maybe he's injured and they're not telling people. Or maybe running the ball and moving the chains is what helps him get in rhythm on his throws.

• Dan Mullen is Les Miles. A very good coach in most aspects but with glaring and inexplicable flaws. They both have poor clock management skills and apparently refuse to just get a GA to keep them from screwing up at the end of the half/game. They both tend to go ultraconservative with leads but at the same time will randomly try make huge gambles when they don't seem to make sense. They both will go into a game with inexplicably bad game plans. The one that is most frustrating to me is that Mullen apparently has a crazy long time horizon or is much to accepting of losing. You'd think this off season would have been all about finding a JUCO RB. He apparently took the position of "This year is going to be extremely limited by RB; that's an issue that we're going to have to fix in future seasons." WTF is that?

We are not far from being very good. If we had a pretty good RB (i.e., one that would at least be invited to camps with the expectations that they could win a spot, not necessarily a star), if our safeties improved (which not crazy unreasonable to expect Bryant to turn into a good safety with his athleticism or for Peters to develop into a good safety if he got to play. I guess Coman is what he is at this point), our O-line at least figures out how to handle basic stunts and blitzes (which should be a bare minimum to expect out of our staff), and Dak start playing like the Dak of old, we're back to a 9-10 win team. With the way everybody in the SEC west has looked, we could still get 10 wins this year. But I don't think we're going to figure out the RB problem and I don't think Dan is going to change things this year. I love Mullen and in no way are my criticisms intended to imply that he's not a good coach or that his strengths do not greatly outweigh his flaws, but we know what he is at this point, and we're just not going to significantly change things during the season unless injuries force us to.
    An offensive line is generally only as good as it's weakest player. It also has to function as a unit and that comes with experience. We lost a TON of experience last year. I think it will get better, with time. We miss Jrob bad but I'm not sure that RB is quite as bad as it looks. We have very little run blocking at the moment. Hershal Walker might have looked bad behind that blocking. I do tend to agree about Shumpert though. Miles didn't "go ultra conservative". He started out that way. I expect they will in every game. I would too with what he has: a great defense, a great running back, and a suspect QB. Our comeback was legit because we defended a LOT better after the first quarter. Part of what is going on with Dak is the blocking. I do wonder why he didn't take off on some of the passing plays where everybody was covered and he had a lot of running room. The set runs just aren't there.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 09-14-2015 at 11:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    For the whole of the game, Dak ran 1, O N E read option play where he kept the ball and if memory serves me correctly that was late in the third quarter.
    And if memory serves me it was stuffed.

vCash
    ..... he only ran 2 times vs lsu in the first half last year. Just saying. Stuffed once and very little on the other.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    For the whole of the game, Dak ran 1, O N E read option play where he kept the ball and if memory serves me correctly that was late in the third quarter.
    He definitely has been handing it off more than I think he should. But having just re-watched the first three possessions -- man, I need to actually do some work today -- I can say that on the second offensive possession of the game, at around 9:30 to go in the first quarter, Dak kept on 3rd and 4. Shumpert had gained a combined six yards on 1st and 2nd down. Dak's run went for no gain. He was tackled from behind. We then punted to our own 48 yard line.

vCash
    Nobody who watches our first 2 series from last year and this year can say we ran the same style of offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The ol will not improve until we play our offense and spread the defense.
    This^

Also, NEVER choosing to scramble out of the pocket is not indicative of lack of a running game. That's refusing to take what the defense gives you.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Agree with everything you said Johnson85. Glad I am not the only one.
    "You're just angry because the truth I speak contradicts the lie you live." -Steve Maraboli