Thread: If Manny never left

vCash

If Manny never left

Do we win the SEC last year and maybe the National Championship?
    Now I know our defense would be different with different personnel, but if we still had the same guys would we have won it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Do we win the SEC last year and maybe the National Championship?
    Now I know our defense would be different with different personnel, but if we still had the same guys would we have won it.
    Ask me again Sunday.

Gotta make sure USM isn't the new norm first.

vCash
    I agree with CD. If the 10-15 yd cushion and soft over the middle wasn't just for lswho's sake to not tip our hand. Then i'd pump the brakes on that statement. I think (hope) it was just to not give them nothing to us against us. Sat will tell though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Ask me again Sunday.

This. I want to see if our secondary gets shredded again and if our d line can stop the run against a real team as well as it did against USM. If both of those are answered favorably then I might be inclined to think we would have had a legit shot at the SEC and making the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    This. I want to see if our secondary gets shredded again and if our d line can stop the run against a real team as well as it did against USM. If both of those are answered favorably then I might be inclined to think we would have had a legit shot at the SEC and making the playoffs.
    I'm not saying our secondary was good on Saturday, however, our lb drops into coverage were awful. The safeties were in a 2 high shell 15 yards off the ball. They can't cover stuff behind them and stop the soft dumps over the middle. Esp w zero help from our backers.

vCash
    I think the 2012 season would have ended a lot better.

vCash
    If I remember correctly our defense under Manny the first time was more of a bend don't break and hope for turnovers type thing. I think you saw some of that against USM. Now you could make the argument that that kind of thing might have helped last year. Big plays are what killed us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I'm not saying our secondary was good on Saturday, however, our lb drops into coverage were awful. The safeties were in a 2 high shell 15 yards off the ball. They can't cover stuff behind them and stop the soft dumps over the middle. Esp w zero help from our backers.
    After watching the replay, this is so true. Deandre Ward in the game, didn't get enough depth twice. Gerri Green didn't get enough depth once. Plus we rotated safties, played 4 different guys back there, Brandon Bryant's first game action, Market coming off a major injury so there were mistakes made. Cleveland has really bulked up and can come up and hit. I wish we had enough corner depth to move him back to Safety. He and Coman would be a good duo until Peters/McLaurin are ready.

vCash
    Thats a good point about the bend don't break let the big dawgs force the qb into turnovers. How did la rech do it last year?

vCash
    Will know more after Saturday. I don't know if we even ran the scheme that we've worked on primarily in camp against USM just based on how confused some of our players were.

Either that or it will be a long season for the secondary.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Manny's secondary at LaTech was tight and eager for INTs all year. I'll have a hard time believing he can't get something similar rolling here.

I think the "real" Manny Diaz defense will be unveiled this Saturday night.

vCash

Heres a good video on La Tech defending auburn last year.

vCash
    Manny may run a bend but don't break defense, but he also has a defense that creates a lot of sacks and turnovers.

Banned
    vCash

If Manny had never left...

CJ would have had to come up with a different reason for de-committing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Ask me again Sunday.

Spot on