Thread: No respect from national media

vCash

No respect from national media

Why doesn't Mississippi State get respect from the national media?

After looking on the forum and thinking long and hard, its really very easy to see why we get no respect, IMO.

Money. Plain and simple, its money. We don't have one of the richest alumni bases in the SEC. That will not change. We can go and win a national championship this year (and we better at least come close) and next year we could be unranked. "They lost Dak," will be the reason. But its really money. If the alumni base is not rolling in money, it doesn't sell ads, papers, TV subscriptions, etc like richer colleges would.

My point is we have to be the Boise State or TCU of the conference. Prove it on the field, consistently, and I believe that is what CDM is doing. He's built the program for the long haul.

We, as fans, have to realize that only consistency will edge the media our way. One down year, and all of the work to improve our standing in the media's eyes will be gone. As my dad always says, "One 'aw sh!t', will screw up a whole bunch of attaboys!"

In the end, the fans and alumni have to realize that we cannot support a program to hope to have media prominence. We have to support this program for us, to spite everyone else.

Ok, I'm stepping down from my soap box.

What do you guys think?

vCash

Much to learn you have, my young Padawan.

vCash
    Respect is earned, not given. We have never been a consistent winner and until we are that won't change. Just win, and do it consistently, and respect will come. Just win.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post

Much to learn you have, my young Padawan.
    Glad you think so, but I don't. Maybe that's something else I should learn, right?

Money makes the world go around, and that's really all ESPN, SI, national/local media wants...money. The richer fan bases give them that.

Like Liverpool and I said, you have to win, consistently. And even then, one down year, and we'll be in the media "doghouse" again so they can promote another school with more money.

This is from 2011, so I'm sure there's some changes, but we are at the bottom of the SEC on endowment money.

vCash
    I know I lost my trailer earlier this year to those money grubbing loan sharks, but damn, I can still afford a newspaper, a Direct TV subscription (my Xmas gift from the wife), and still shop at Sears & Walmart. My brother-in-law owns a used car dealership does that count as affluent? Have to sign off for now, got to sell some beaver hides to pay for my ticket to this here game against them corn dogs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    Glad you think so, but I don't. Maybe that's something else I should learn, right?

Money makes the world go around, and that's really all ESPN, SI, national/local media wants...money. The richer fan bases give them that.

Like Liverpool and I said, you have to win, consistently. And even then, one down year, and we'll be in the media "doghouse" again so they can promote another school with more money.

This is from 2011, so I'm sure there's some changes, but we are at the bottom of the SEC on endowment money.
    while this is true in most every case, my feeling is that LiverPool is right...

MSU got A LOT of respect early last year and was even voted #1 for a month or so... if that's not "respect", I don't know what is... As MSU tailed off in '14 and some of the earlier wins (LSU & AU) lost their perceived quality, the "respect" level dropped accordingly...

The table is set for you guys with so many SEC teams ranked this year. If yall can whack a few good teams and those teams finish up with good records (and do it a few years), yall will get some respect... For example, over the last 4 years, MSU has 1 win vs Final Top 25 (AU) and 3 wins vs teams (B. Green, Alcorn, MTSU) that finished the season with fewer than 5 losses.

Like LiverPool said "It's earned"...

edit: if my data is inaccurate, lemme know... it was a quick look....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17