Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- We Won Edition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    Wait wait wait, did Todd seriously compare himself to an MLB scout? Hahaha that's one of the most ignorant and arrogant statements I've ever heard. You are a typical college sports fan that thinks you know more than all the coaches, and in reality it makes you look like anew idiot. Not everything you have said is dumb, but a lot of it is. Oh and Chris Jones didn't change as a player from a 3 to a 5 star. He just got really evaluated by recruiting site people. You in no way shape or form were the only person talking him up. Every state fan was excited about him.
    No- I did not seriously compare myself to an MLB scout. I seriously gave an example of other people evaluating players based off of high school competition.

vCash
    I'm far from any kind of an expert but I watch a lot of Mississippi high school football, mostly 4A, and it doesn't really surprise me that a kid from a 3A or 2A school (even one as successful as Bassfield) is not ready to contribute a lot in their first college game. That's not a knock on these schools it's just a fact that it's a huge jump to make. I'm not saying it can't happen I'm just saying it shouldn't raise much concern if it doesn't.
    In that same line of thinking it would be more likely that a freshman from Hoover contributes, which did happen.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    No- I did not seriously compare myself to an MLB scout. I seriously gave an example of other people evaluating players based off of high school competition.
    So you compared what you do to what MLB scouts do. Like I said. Only thing is, they get paid to do it and actually know what they are looking for. They also go to games and actually see the good and bad of players. You don't. So forgive everyone for not trusting your expert opinion on how well these two true freshmen will translate into top notch SEC players based on highlight videos you saw.

vCash
    So you compared what you do to what MLB scouts do. Like I said. Only thing is, they get paid to do it and actually know what they are looking for. They also go to games and actually see the good and bad of players. You don't. So forgive everyone for not trusting your expert opinion on how well these two true freshmen will translate into top notch SEC players based on highlight videos you saw.
    Being a fan and posting on a message board? Keep spinning. And actually, yes I do actually go to games and see many of the players.

I guess you get to forgive me for calling you a douchebag.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 09-07-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    JRob sat the bench when he should have been playing, as did Dak.

It's not like there's not a precedent.

As long as we win I guess it doesn't matter but it seems to be what Mullen does.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post

As long as we win I guess it doesn't matter but it seems to be what Mullen does.
    When we don't maximize our potential it's an issue. We've had subpar defensive plans specifically that have cost us big. Hopefully Manny remedies this but damn those safeties have got to be better, not 30 yds off the LOS allowing 75% completions across the middle all year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post

JRob sat the bench as he should have, not because of talent but because of him. Looking back at how his career played out the only thing that ever held JRob back was himself. Including the end of last year. That's not on Mullen but was the right descision for the program as a whole. The Dak deal is very hard to agree with when Tyler had just come off setting school records and we actually did score more in 2012 than 2013. I thought the staff did a good job bringing Dak along after Tyler got hurt with a playbook not really designed to showcase what Dak does best. And don't forget Dak has some games he looked bad as well. He was horrible against LSU and the year before Tyler had thrown great against LSU in Baton Rouge. I think a lot of people believed Dak would be a great fit, me included, but the start of 2013 season Tyler was the #1 QB and people arguing favoritism are somewhat blinded by what they wanted to happen over who was really the best option for that year with what we were running.

vCash
    Being a fan and posting on a message board? Keep spinning. And actually, yes I do actually go to games and see many of the players.

I guess you get to forgive me for calling you a douchebag.
    No, this little dandy.

"The ONLY reason I am using HUDL (in ONE case on Gray) and my high school watching experience is because that is all I have to go on. What do you think MLB scouts use with high school and college baseball players? You think their scouting directors tell them they're silly because they're watching players that aren't going up against pro players? You don't like me using it because it's a hell of a lot more than you have. What do you think our college coaches use to evaluate high school players on?"

You are no better a judge of talent than anyone else here, and even if these guys are more athletically talented (which no one is denying), that does not by any means make them better SEC players at the present time. And for you to place your player evaluations of 2 freshmen who have never played college football higher than an entire coaching staff's is psychotic and laughable.

vCash
    No, this little dandy.

"The ONLY reason I am using HUDL (in ONE case on Gray) and my high school watching experience is because that is all I have to go on. What do you think MLB scouts use with high school and college baseball players? You think their scouting directors tell them they're silly because they're watching players that aren't going up against pro players? You don't like me using it because it's a hell of a lot more than you have. What do you think our college coaches use to evaluate high school players on?"

You are no better a judge of talent than anyone else here, and even if these guys are more athletically talented (which no one is denying), that does not by any means make them better SEC players at the present time. And for you to place your player evaluations of 2 freshmen who have never played college football higher than an entire coaching staff's is psychotic and laughable.

If you took that quote as me comparing myself and what I do as a hobby to what a MLB scout does then you are stupid. Period. Not ignorant. Stupid.

Do you tell people on the political board that they are comparing themselves to politicians? If I talk about cooking a steak, does that mean I am comparing myself to a chef?

That's pretty much what your dumbass is asserting.

vCash
    Well after I've had a couple days to simmer down, I've come to the realization that the 9 pm start after sitting in a hotel in Hattiesburg all day, the thought process of "we got this", and the general scheme, is why we came out flat. I still have big concerns about the secondary, but what I believe the actual defensive philosophy is to disrupt the QB so the secondary is playing centerfield as insurance. We got some pressure, but not as much as we ought to have.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    If you took that quote as me comparing myself and what I do as a hobby to what a MLB scout does then you are stupid. Period. Not ignorant. Stupid.

Do you tell people on the political board that they are comparing themselves to politicians? If I talk about cooking a steak, does that mean I am comparing myself to a chef?

That's pretty much what your dumbass is asserting.
    Do you sit on the political board and say you can run the country better than the president? Because that's basically what you are saying about our football team. That you know how to manage our players better than our coach based on watching some high school videos. You sir are an idiot. And an oblivious one at that. I pity you, truly. I've wasted too much time on you today, so go ahead and get your last words in because that will be the only win you will have gotten today or yesterday. I'm done.

vCash
    Do you sit on the political board and say you can run the country better than the president? Because that's basically what you are saying about our football team. That you know how to manage our players better than our coach based on watching some high school videos. You sir are an idiot. And an oblivious one at that. I pity you, truly. I've wasted too much time on you today, so go ahead and get your last words in because that will be the only win you will have gotten today or yesterday. I'm done.
    Despite me multiple times admitting that our coaches know more about football than me? Right.

I'm getting the "win" here because you suck at reading comprehension or you are a douchebag that failed at trying to "pile on". You're too stupid to even know what oblivious means- and you probably had to get your boyfriend to look it up for your dumb ass.

And as I speak- there is another thread talking about Dan's questionable personnel decisions. Why don't you go "pity them" as well and tell them that they are oblivious since they don't coach our football team? Since apparently that's the only reason for certain people can have an opinion around here all of a sudden.

vCash
    Even Nick the Mesiah Saban has never seen a true freshman play a college football game before his first game. That's not really a realistic position to suggest someone can't know what to expect from a freshman because they've never played. There's no other way to predict it other than to predict it. In all honestly, a lot of our fans have seen these kids in high school live WAY more than our coaches can. They just can't make every home high school game in the state. I know a lot of guys that pegged high school kids way more correctly than college coaches. And the ones I trust, I would tell people about on the boards. I got ridiculed out the Ying yang when I said BMac would be a better LB than CJ Johnson. Absolutely blasted... How'd that work out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Even Nick the Mesiah Saban has never seen a true freshman play a college football game before his first game. That's not really a realistic position to suggest someone can't know what to expect from a freshman because they've never played. There's no other way to predict it other than to predict it. In all honestly, a lot of our fans have seen these kids in high school live WAY more than our coaches can. They just can't make every home high school game in the state. I know a lot of guys that pegged high school kids way more correctly than college coaches. And the ones I trust, I would tell people about on the boards. I got ridiculed out the Ying yang when I said BMac would be a better LB than CJ Johnson. Absolutely blasted... How'd that work out?
    The debate hasn't really been about seeing the players first game as much saying a certain player is better without ever seeing him compete against college players. Like our coaches have been able to do all during fall camp. That's the issue. How can you or anyone make an informed opinion that a true freshman is better than what is playing without seeing that competition during practice this fall. And you know as well as I do you don't see very many freshman safety's come in and start right off the bat. Jamal Adams didn't last year and only really started contributing mid way through the season. And he was more talented and polished than the players we signed.

It's not about if they will end up being great players it's an uninformed opinion that they are already better than what is playing. We can't possibly know that right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    The debate hasn't really been about seeing the players first game as much saying a certain player is better without ever seeing him compete against college players. Like our coaches have been able to do all during fall camp. That's the issue. How can you or anyone make an informed opinion that a true freshman is better than what is playing without seeing that competition during practice this fall. And you know as well as I do you don't see very many freshman safety's come in and start right off the bat. Jamal Adams didn't last year and only really started contributing mid way through the season. And he was more talented and polished than the players we signed.

It's not about if they will end up being great players it's an uninformed opinion that they are already better than what is playing. We can't possibly know that right now.
    oh, i get it. it's a good discussion. both sides have valid concerns/points. If person A doesn't get it done, go to B; but you can't assume B is better given the lack of experience. Hell, this is what message boards are for. carry on!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    oh, i get it. it's a good discussion. both sides have valid concerns/points. If person A doesn't get it done, go to B; but you can't assume B is better given the lack of experience. Hell, this is what message boards are for. carry on!!!
    That is very true. Message boards are great places to debate these topics.