Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rankin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by randyholloway View Post
    I'm tired of these OM IDIOTS/SHITBIRDS/MISCREANTS seeding some hate on our boards.

Let's talk about MGK "rollin'" in Oxford for a bit, shall we? At least that shit is true...
    Let's hear about it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Only reason I don't want him to redshirt is because if he's as good as his recruiting hype indicated then next year is going to be his last year regardless. If he's not as good as advertised and is just another Siddoway or Denico Autry, that would obviously be disappointing as well.
    No... No it's not. He's not an nfl first rounder. Juco all American doesn't make you that. Sorry, it just doesn't. There is obviously an outside shot he plays- but I assure you that is not what we want. And if we redshirt him and hev coaches him up so great that he can come out- I'm all for it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    If Warren or Senior get hurt- the RS will come off
    If Warren or Senior struggle, would we just start Jenkins? That makes sense to me because I believe the Rankin probably needs to RS.

I think Jenkins is going to be legit- another guy 2-3 years from now that people are going to wonder where Dan found them and he becomes a top 2 round pick.

vCash
    The reality is Rankin was "overhyped". But at the same time, I don't think that means he will be a bust. His film was mainly from practice and things like that on the recruiting web sites- which I thought was weird at the time.

But with JUCO's it's totally different with Dan than it was Jackie. We are a developmental program- and the longer you are in the program the more of an advantage you have in terms of earning playing time. So even if you are JUCO all world, if you come to MSU you have a long row to hoe.

Something to think about the next time our next JUCO all world recruit comes across the board.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Yeah Denico is in the nfl.
    Yeah, he is. Wasn't drafted though. And for the most part was not a major impact player for us (not saying he was bad, but he didn't stand out) You could make an argument that Preston Smith as a sophomore could have potentially had the same or better production as Autry as a senior given the same playing time. But that's neither here nor there.

The larger point is that when you sign JUCO's, you want impact guys that can at least come in and fill a need right away (and preferably start). That is kind of the whole point of JUCO recruiting, the trade-off between only half the amount of eligibility but getting immediate production. If you sign a JUCO and end up redshirting him, to me that somewhat defeats the whole purpose of recruiting JUCO's. We've done that several times now under Mullen and its somewhat of an annoyance. If we bring in a JUCO and end up redshirting him, I'd almost rather that scholarship just go to a high school kid with full eligibilty. I know you can't always read the tea leaves with these kids, but we really haven't had an impact JUCO come in since Ballard and McPhee in 2009. We may just need to rethink our strategy a bit when it comes to JUCO's.

vCash
    Slay was a 2nd rounder and couldnt even start his 1st year- its just a different time
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If Warren or Senior struggle, would we just start Jenkins? That makes sense to me because I believe the Rankin probably needs to RS.

I think Jenkins is going to be legit- another guy 2-3 years from now that people are going to wonder where Dan found them and he becomes a top 2 round pick.
    Another player who will redshirt this year and, in 2-3 years from now, many will wonder where Dan found him is Michael Story. That kid is going to be very good. You don't see many high school linemen that have his footwork. He will need a redshirt year to build strength and bulk up, but the raw athletic ability and the feet are there. I'm hoping we can get Tommy Champion in next year as a sophomore. He might even redshirt his first year on campus, and if that is the case, it would be very nice to break out Champion and Story as third year sophomores together.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Rankin is rs for the good of him and the program. It's really simple stop trying to make a big ****ing deal about it.