Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Manny Diaz and the 2015 defense...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Wut?

A disservice would be moving him to a position he's never played before, and asking him to win a spot where we're about 8 deep with stud LBers.

You also just compared stats of Coman and Calhoun, when Coman was a backup last year.

Not sure why you don't think Coman is capable of improving. Or better yet, why you don't believe the coach when they say he has morphed into a beast.
    Tell that to Jimmy Johnson who built a Cowboys dynasty moving players to positions they've never played before.

If he is indeed 6'3" 190 which is what he is listed at, he could very easily add some weight and get to 215 and play the SAM position that Wells played- where his safety experience would come into play and it would also play into his strengths which is hitting people hard while minimzing his weakness which is coverage.

Ifyouonlyknew was the one who initially brought up Calhoun- hence the comparison. And you know as well as I do that our back-ups played roughly the same amount of snaps as our back-ups- so even though it's not a great comparison to start with comparing players on both 1A and 1B is somewhat relevant. Even though I normally wouldn't pick Calhoun to compare Coman to.

I think Coman is capable of improving- but as I just explained literally minutes ago I believe his ceiling is limited. Especially when compared to someone like a Jamal Peters whom I believe will be a special player for us- and that's something I don't throw around a lot. The last two players I thought were special were Bear Wilson and Chris Jones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Tell that to Jimmy Johnson who built a Cowboys dynasty moving players to positions they've never played before.

If he is indeed 6'3" 190 which is what he is listed at, he could very easily add some weight and get to 215 and play the SAM position that Wells played- where his safety experience would come into play and it would also play into his strengths which is hitting people hard while minimzing his weakness which is coverage.

Ifyouonlyknew was the one who initially brought up Calhoun- hence the comparison. And you know as well as I do that our back-ups played roughly the same amount of snaps as our back-ups- so even though it's not a great comparison to start with comparing players on both 1A and 1B is somewhat relevant. Even though I normally wouldn't pick Calhoun to compare Coman to.

I think Coman is capable of improving- but as I just explained literally minutes ago I believe his ceiling is limited. Especially when compared to someone like a Jamal Peters whom I believe will be a special player for us- and that's something I don't throw around a lot. The last two players I thought were special were Bear Wilson and Chris Jones.
    I didn't say Coman wasn't capable of playing LB, just that he never has. Fortunately we'll never find out.

Do you think Coman could beat out Brown, Brown, Jackson, Green, Gray, Harris, Jung, or Leo at a position he's never played? As a Junior?

Peter's and McLaurin are almost the same size as Coman...if they don't shine as freshman or sophs, are you going to want to move them to LB too? Sometimes it takes a year or two to get used to the speed of the SEC.

Not arguing, just playing devil's advocate to your point, Bc I disagree.

vCash
    I didn't say Coman wasn't capable of playing LB, just that he never has. Fortunately we'll never find out.

Do you think Coman could beat out Brown, Brown, Jackson, Green, Gray, Harris, Jung, or Leo at a position he's never played? As a Junior?

Peter's and McLaurin are almost the same size as Coman...if they don't shine as freshman or sophs, are you going to want to move them to LB too? Sometimes it takes a year or two to get used to the speed of the SEC.

Not arguing, just playing devil's advocate to your point, Bc I disagree.
    Excuse me for misunderstanding "wut?" as I took that as you didn't think it was possible.

It's irrelevant if he can beat out all of those players. There's nothing anywhere that says "he has" to start. What if he does beat out Jackson, Gray and Jung (really the only two guys in your list that are relevant in this case as I can't see him playing MLB or Will and I haven't really seen Harris play at all) and he flourishes? The whole point is to put him into a position that is better for him and the team. I definitely think he is better in coverage than Zach Jackson is.

As far as Peters and McLaurin- there was talk of Peters being moved to LB during the recruiting cycle. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Peters or McLaurin did happen to move to LB to be honest with you considering Bryant, Peters, and McLaurin are all freshmen and it might be the best way to get them all on the field- although I'm also not looking for it to happen either. Of course our recruiting gurus (Rosebowl, Paul) all seem to believe that every recruit is always going to gain 50 pounds when they get to college and have to change positions it seems like.

At the end of the day, you should want the best players on the field. Not the ones that are the nicest and work hardest in the weight room.

You were probably one of the ones that wanted Robinson over Perkins- and it's a similar situation. But instead you're going along with Dan and just blindly trusting him.

But if that's what you want to do- that's your prerogative.

vCash
    Minutiae aside, I'm glad we're so strong talent wise at safety again. It'll be interesting to see if we RS either of the two stud 5 Star Safeties (Peters and McLaurin) we recruited or if we play them both.

I'm kinda ok w it either way. Coman being bad ass as an upperclassmen is even better, we have some depth there all of the sudden.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I agree with Dan/Strick/Nemeth/Bart/Rockey- if not this year- its not gonna happen for us ever.

We are coached well
    We have the best QB in the conference
    We have a really good WR group
    We have a nasty DL
    We have 2 CB's about to be drafted
    We are a top 3 group in the conference at LB
    We play LSU, Bama, and Northern Miss at home

If not now- when? We wont have a better chance to win the SEC under Mullen than in 2015
    I may make this my new signature.

vCash
    Wut?

A disservice would be moving him to a position he's never played before, and asking him to win a spot where we're about 8 deep with stud LBers.

You also just compared stats of Coman and Calhoun, when Coman was a backup last year.

Not sure why you don't think Coman is capable of improving. Or better yet, why you don't believe the coach when they say he has morphed into a beast.
    Because Todd doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. But what else is new?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22