Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Dontavian Lee a major key to another exceptional season?...

Banned
    vCash

Is Dontavian Lee a major key to another exceptional season?...

Here is how i see our running backs - and the key to us winning 10 games versus 7 games:

Ashton Shumpert - He can get a lot of carries, and be productive, but he is not an every down running back that will scare defenses.
    Aeris Williams - See Ashton Shumpert
    Dontavian Lee - in my mind, this guy is the key. He has the all around talent to keep defenses honest. Keeping defenses honest will free up receivers and give Prescott breathing room (move the chains). It's a lot to ask of a young guy - but he seems poised enough to do it.
    Brandon Holloway - non factor at running back. Throw him in on some gimmick plays - get the ball to him in open space and pick up some good yards.

Question is this - will Mullen be hard headed and stick with his more experienced running backs - possibly costing us a tough game or two early in the season before giving Lee significant touches? Or will he not hesitate to throw Lee in if we are struggling on offense?

vCash
    Not sure what you're basing lee is a stud and aeris isn't on. Neither has played in a real game yet. You could be right. I just think it's premature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgheadcheese View Post
    Here is how i see our running backs - and the key to us winning 10 games versus 7 games:

Ashton Shumpert - He can get a lot of carries, and be productive, but he is not an every down running back that will scare defenses.
    Dontavian Lee - in my mind, this guy is the key. He has the all around talent to keep defenses honest. Keeping defenses honest will free up receivers and give Prescott breathing room (move the chains). It's a lot to ask of a young guy - but he seems poised enough to do it.
    Brandon Holloway - non factor at running back. Throw him in on some gimmick plays - get the ball to him in open space and pick up some good yards.

Question is this - will Mullen be hard headed and stick with his more experienced running backs - possibly costing us a tough game or two early in the season before giving Lee significant touches? Or will he not hesitate to throw Lee in if we are struggling on offense?
    You were able to tell Lee's poise and ability to keep defenses honest by watching him in one spring scrimmage?

I disagree. I think Lee will eventually be a great back, but I think you are big time underestimating Shumpert. And Williams too for that matter.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    To answer your question... No.

vCash

At worst, Shumpert will be a running back that runs hard north and south, consistently takes what's available and thereby avoids negative yardage plays, even if he doesn't end up breaking a lot of big runs. That, combined with Dak, is going to be enough to make our running game go. As odd is it is to say this as an MSU fan, we can rely on our passing game to produce big plays for us; we just need the running game to be good enough to consistently move the chains.

It will be nice if Dontavian Lee adds a different dimension with his carries, but if I was going to pick a RS freshman that is key to our season, I'd pick Cory Thomas and Brandon Bryant ahead of Lee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    To answer your question... No.
    This thread lost all steam pretty quick .. Thanks Dan ...

vCash
    By most camp accounts, it sounds like Shump is continuing to separate himself from the pack. Not saying the other guys won't get carries (especially in the first game), but it doesn't sound like it will be a full out "committee" approach like we might have thought after spring. Dan/ifyouonlyknew can correct me if I'm wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    This thread lost all steam pretty quick .. Thanks Dan ...
    he has to be Rocky .... regardless of who, it's pretty cool to have great first hand info on our board .... Dan / Rocky - really appreciate the participation and insight you bring here
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 08-18-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash

I am going to agree with you. I think all purpose, Lee will be the go to back by mid season.

Banned
    vCash
    Another vote for D. Lee here. He'll be the feature back by season's end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    At worst, Shumpert will be a running back that runs hard north and south, consistently takes what's available and thereby avoids negative yardage plays, even if he doesn't end up breaking a lot of big runs. That, combined with Dak, is going to be enough to make our running game go. As odd is it is to say this as an MSU fan, we can rely on our passing game to produce big plays for us; we just need the running game to be good enough to consistently move the chains.
    I see it this way as well. Shumpert's running style & size brings a certain floor to how poor our running game can possibly be. Between, Shump & Dak, at very least we should be able to move the chains & grind out drives. With that said, if Lee can bring a big play dynamic to our running game that can make us that much better.

Between Dak & Shumpert running & our passing game, we should score point regardless.

IMO, this season hinges on the following factors:

1. Dak's health
    2. Our defensive line health & development of depth
    3. Our ability to create "adequate" safety play (Remember, with the QBs in the SEC, we don't have to be great at safety. Just "Avg" or "Adequate"
    4. Calhoun & Redmond's health.
    5. A kicker that consistently makes FGs from inside the 30 yard line.

One big one missing in this list is offensive line play. I trust Heavesy, Dak's ability to get us in the right play, and Shumps ability to pass block. I'm not worried here.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 08-18-2015 at 04:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    he has to be Rocky .... regardless of who, it's pretty cool to have great first hand info on our board .... Dan / Rocky - really appreciate the participation and insight you bring here
    Neither. He once gave a big clue that would mean he was neither and IIRC it was on an OT thread or at least one that ended up heading OT. But I feel likewise, the value of his contributions on this board is that of treasure!
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Shump will be the guy. The only knock on him is he doesn't have "vision" and he is not "natural". I think he wii be great. We will see this year. I don't think the competition is that close.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 08-18-2015 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    What I think (and hope) about Shump is that he's gonna be a lot less fun to tackle in the fourth quarter than the first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Neither. He once gave a big clue that would mean he was neither and IIRC it was on an OT thread or at least one that ended up heading OT. But I feel likewise, the value of his contributions on this board is that of treasure!
    ETA: I you paid attention in that thread you would probably believe as I do that ifyouonlyknew is Coach Hughes or maybe Coach Knox. But it could be someone younger like Sleepy. I don't really know of course.
    Last edited by BulldogBear; 08-18-2015 at 05:08 PM.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Its so hard to replace the RB that does everything the way he does- he just doesnt have the great vision your better RB's have. Maybe the vision gets better with consistent carries this season? But with the way he catches the ball, pass protects, carries out fakes full speed, plays physical every damn play- its hard to trust the others. Our RB situation is going to be fine and even better in some situations than last year because these guys wont do alot of dancing. They are going to be physical
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    IMO, this season hinges on the following factors:

1. Dak's health
    2. Our defensive line health & development of depth
    3. Our ability to create "adequate" safety play (Remember, with the QBs in the SEC, we don't have to be great at safety. Just "Avg" or "Adequate"
    4. Calhoun & Redmond's health.
    5. A kicker that consistently makes FGs from inside the 30 yard line.
    I would do my list a little different. Our key questions/issues to address are:

(1) Figuring out an answer at safety.
    (2) Replacing the pass rush that we got from P. Smith
    (3) Replacing Clausell
    (4) Replacing JRob's development.
    (5) Young players stepping up to provide depth at DT, DE, S, and interior line.

I'm hoping that Diaz's can help protect against any weakness at with respect to issue (1); I'm hoping Diaz's scheme can help with #2 if none of our DE's step up. I'm not worried about OT. I feel like if we are redshirting the number one JUCO OT we can't be terrible there. We're going to msis JRob, but I think between our receiving corp being even better and Shump not having some of JRob's bad habits our offense won't be visibly hurt. For issue (5), Cory Thomas has to be good, somebody has to step up at DE, Brandon Bryant and J. Peters need to be good, and somebody like Calhoun needs to be ready to play this year on the interior as a backup.

After that it's all about key injuries (or maybe more accurately before all that, it's about avoiding key injuries).

vCash
    Sigh, I still don't understand where all this Lee>Williams stuff comes from. Shump will start when till he graduates, when he leaves Williams will take over. There is reason Williams was considered the best back in the state for a couple years. This is exactly like the Fitz>Staley thing. People see stuff in a meaningless scrimmage and think it will translate to the field.

vCash
    Why are we writing guys off already. We need the hype train full steam ahead on all of our players. I want confidence to spare for all our rbs. We need ESPN to pick up the cause early in the season. Similar to how they picked up on Chubb last year. Shump, Lee, and Williams needs to make some noise early and often. I am not in a position to claim one above the others if I am completely honest. I do know one thing, people are going hate tackling these guys.
    Last edited by archdog; 08-18-2015 at 06:03 PM.

vCash
    Trent Richardson say vision matters more in the NFL than in college.

I just have a few things to contribute on this topic:

1. Shumpert's vision may not be in the 'great' category, but we still haven't really see enough of him to know where it is. It could be anywhere from terrible to just fine.

2. Even without great vision, he'll be fine.

3. Williams and Lee have the exact same amount of experience.

4. I don't really care who takes the job. We have 3 potentially very good, every down backs. I'll take it.