Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting the Cord

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    What do you guys who live in rural areas do? We had HughesNet and Dish for years but just recently cut HN, so now we just use the hotspots on our phones for internet. The Dish bill is still too much for me, but I don't want to cut the sports since I don't have the best internet. Just wondering what some of you guys do

Move... Good luck to ya... Sorry that's not very helpful But if you can't get Internet through your local phone carrier or cable (sounds N/A due to using dish) then I'm not sure what to tell ya. Satellite internet has gotten better but it's still got a lot of limitations and is costly and always will be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    I don't know what streaming service you have looked at it but that's not correct. Pick any of those I mentioned, you can switch between ESPN, ESPN2, and Fox* the same as if you are on cable.. You go to the guide and select your program..
    Fox is the possible exception, not all locals are carried but every streaming service. If you have to get an Over the air antenna, then yes you would have to switch from the App and likely inputs on your tv.
    Ok, you don't have to exit the app. What I mean was you have to stop the game you are watching and pick another one. It takes longer than cable. I've done the week trials and been at people's houses who use streaming. It definitely takes longer. There's a certain threshold of our budget when little things like that are just not worth the hassle and it's worth the $30 extra per month not to have to deal with it. If I was 25 I'd deal with it, but not anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    Ok, you don't have to exit the app. What I mean was you have to stop the game you are watching and pick another one. It takes longer than cable. I've done the week trials and been at people's houses who use streaming. It definitely takes longer. There's a certain threshold of our budget when little things like that are just not worth the hassle and it's worth the $30 extra per month not to have to deal with it. If I was 25 I'd deal with it, but not anymore.
    Alright that's interesting.. I can flip from station to station instantly on the two services I use now (PS Vue and Philo) the biggest difference I see concerning that is If I'm watching something, it plays in the background (same as cable) but the guide doesn't give me a preview of what is playing. Wouldn't matter for sports though.

If it's an on demand or dvr'd game that would take a second to load.. but never had issues with "live tv".

Has it been recently you have tried? Just wonder what the different experience you saw was caused by.

I understand what you mean, Streaming isn't perfect yet by any means.. especially in the dvr world. But It improved enough to encourage me to change and save $50 a month (more if I get out showtime as I will sometimes during the year). No paying for multiple cable boxes per month, no paying for a billion fees.

Good luck to you finding a solution that works. If I notice any weird quirks during the football season I'll report it back..
    I noticed last night I had 3 Big 10 alt chanels on PS vue. So maybe they will add Sec Network + too.. who knows.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 08-16-2018 at 07:18 AM.

vCash
    DirectvNow with All the ESPNs and SEC Network is $50 per month. My only complaint is sometimes it fuzzes out. I haven't really tried out the DVR feature yet. One thing I liked about my comcast was the On Demand was better. If I want to log in and watch older episodes then I might have to have the channel app (like AMC). I then have several channel apps to binge watch rather than just go through the Directvnow app.