Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League Preview Thread

vCash
    Well shit.

Arsenal is my team this year, and I'll be damned if they're not about to drop game 1 to West Ham. It's 2-0 in the 84th minute.

I'm still keeping up with the Swans too, and I'm Real Madrid in La Liga. Arsenal will bounce back, but this is a bad start to the season.

vCash
    Can I revise my prediction about the Hammers going down? I'm watching my recording of Liverpool right now. They look a bit better at the back but still are lacking there and up front. In fairness a better team would have torn them apart but the corresponding fixture last season ended 6-1 to Stoke. I'll take the win and be happy.

vCash
    Liverpool's goal today was top drawer.

vCash
    Yeah, Arsenal looked pretty rough yesterday, Cadaver. I DVR'd it and watched it later. Petr Cech had a terrible game. Good news is that probably won't be the norm. Thought Chelsea looked a little lackluster as well.

Watched Man City this afternoon. They looked really sharp and didn't start a couple of their regulars like Aguero and Nasri. They put up 3 on West Brom and are the official league leaders after Week 1.

Still haven't decided who my team will be just yet, as several key guys didn't play this week - Aguero, Alexis Sanchez, etc. Can someone explain to me why the guys who were coming off Copa America action aren't considered fit? I would think playing competitive international soccer would have them in top shape.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    The guys from the Copa essentially had little or no summer break. That month or so of rest is usually considered vital.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The guys from the Copa essentially had little or no summer break. That month or so of rest is usually considered vital.
    Got ya. Much appreciated. Didn't see how they could be considered out of shape if they'd spent the summer playing competitive international futbol.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Banned
    vCash
    Damn the season started already?! Can we just put the USAMNT in the EPL already. I'd watch every game for sure then.

vCash
    The U.S. Men's national team would be relegated in the 1st year.

Banned
    vCash
    The U.S. Men's national team would be relegated in the 1st year.
    Nope. We get home games too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Nope. We get home games too.
    You're letting homerism override objective evaluation. I don't know if the USAMNT would be relegated, but they'd finish near the bottom of the table for sure. Dempsey is old, Yedlin barely plays for Tottenham, and Johansson is only in Bundesliga 2. Altidore was a gigantic bomb at Sunderland. The rest haven't even gotten interest from the major Euro leagues. That should tell you something.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    We would have one of the better GKs if we could pull Howard from Everton. Or we can get Guzan from Aston Villa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    We would have one of the better GKs if we could pull Howard from Everton. Or we can get Guzan from Aston Villa.
    True, forgot about them. But still, most of our team would be pretty bad.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    True, forgot about them. But still, most of our team would be pretty bad.
    Oh I agree...we would be lower-mid table in the PL.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    We might be lower mid-table in the Championship. Not the EPL. We would be going down rather quickly there. The thing you have to remember is that EPL teams are packed with international players from the best national teams. All but 2 or 3 US internationals would never see the pitch for Norwich or Bournemouth.

Banned
    vCash
    We might be lower mid-table in the Championship. Not the EPL. We would be going down rather quickly there. The thing you have to remember is that EPL teams are packed with international players from the best national teams. All but 2 or 3 US internationals would never see the pitch for Norwich or Bournemouth.
    You're an idiot. USAMNT beat Germany in ****ing Germany less than 2 months ago. Get ****ing real! You're halfway to retard status this week.

vCash
    You're an idiot. USAMNT beat Germany in ****ing Germany less than 2 months ago. Get ****ing real! You're halfway to retard status this week.
    No, you're just looking at it through red, white, and blue colored glasses. I think Liverpool is wrong saying we'd be lower mid-table in the Championship, but you entirely missed the idea that our team doesn't have the talent level to compete in the top leagues. The only EPL quality players on the entire roster, as of right now, are Dempsey, Howard, and Guzan. Maybe Yedlin. Maybe Johansson. Maybe Jordan Morris. And it's a big stretch on my part to say Johansson and Morris. We'd get our asses kicked pretty regularly in the EPL, especially since of the 3 EPL quality players we have, 2 are goalkeepers, meaning one of them would have to sit.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    No, you're just looking at it through red, white, and blue colored glasses. I think Liverpool is wrong saying we'd be lower mid-table in the Championship, but you entirely missed the idea that our team doesn't have the talent level to compete in the top leagues. The only EPL quality players on the entire roster, as of right now, are Dempsey, Howard, and Guzan. Maybe Yedlin. Maybe Johansson. Maybe Jordan Morris. And it's a big stretch on my part to say Johansson and Morris. We'd get our asses kicked pretty regularly in the EPL, especially since of the 3 EPL quality players we have, 2 are goalkeepers, meaning one of them would have to sit.
    I think y'all are over ranking the EPL. MLS just beat Tottenham. Not sure how many countries have made the final 16 of the last two World Cups but I do know USA is one of them and England and Italy are not.

vCash
    If we good enough to survive in the EPL we would have a number of players who would not just be on teams in the top leagues in Europe but they would be PLAYING regularly. As has been pointed out, we don't have that.

vCash
    I think y'all are over ranking the EPL. MLS just beat Tottenham. Not sure how many countries have made the final 16 of the last two World Cups but I do know USA is one of them and England and Italy are not.
    Yes, a MLS all star team with players in mid-season form (With how many non-Americans?) beat Tottenham in it's first preseason friendly. Very impressive.

vCash
    Oh, we're picking our own teams? Then I'm going Liverpool 100%. It's who I wanted last year.
    LFC YNWA