Thread: Weekend C&D Thread: August is here

vCash

Weekend C&D Thread: August is here

I've been ripping and running since 7 this morning and won't stop until 10 tonight so I don't have much to report for food today. Gonna target some reds on Sunday in the marsh weather permitting.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I'm thinking about smoking a brisket this weekend. I may also look into cooking some sockeye salmon or cod that a client caught on a recent Alaska trip. (Now that I'm thinking about it, since some of y'all have way, way, way more experience with fish than I do, what are y'all's favorite methods for cooking cod? I'll probably smoke the salmon, but I haven't decided what to do with the cod yet.)

As for libations, I've still been digging on the 15-year El Dorado. Haven't even been tempted to make a cocktail -- just enjoying it with a big hunk of ice. I've also been in to gin lately, so a negroni or tom collins may be in order one evening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I haven't tried the rye - how do you like it compared to the bourbon?

vCash
    Talk about d?j? vu, I picked up a Bulliet rye this week as well. I liked it a lot - it does not have the off putting rye-ness some have, and since the base bourbon is pretty high rye anyway, it holds up well to the flavor profile.

All that to say: I like it. If you enjoy Bulliet I think you will like the rye too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I haven't tried the rye - how do you like it compared to the bourbon?
    A few sips in I like it. It's smooth. Not a huge rye guy but I'm working on improving my cabinet so I grabbed this one. I really don't have much to compare it to as far as other ryes but I give this one the stamp of approval especially for the price.

vCash
    It's a solid rye. If you like it, other MGP ryes with the same mash bill (and similar price point) may be worth a try, like Dickel rye, Templeton, and Redemption. I've enjoyed both the Dickel and the Bulliet; don't recall having tried the other two. My experience with ryes is relatively limited, but my favorite so far is Knob Creek rye. Smooth for a 100 proof whisky, but still with the spice you want from a rye. Great on ice or in an old fashioned.

vCash
    NOLA Rebirth's. Food TBD.

vCash
    Elk blackstrap on the grill. New Belgium Slow Ride in the hand.

vCash
    It's Tax Free school shopping weekend. Wife had to work today, and I was doing some writing on a side project - so at 5:00 we head out with two teenagers and hit 5 stores in 3 hours. Only food we could agree on is Waffle House. So, I am waiting on my All-Star breakfast for dinner, cause this is where winners eat.

vCash
    Update: mission complete. Backstrap with butter beans and tomato salad. Everything but the mozzarella killed or grown by us. Used this method to cook the elk:

http://honest-food.net/2011/08/31/grilled-venison-loin/

Sterling Meritage from the Central Coast was a perfect accompaniment.

Last edited by SapperDawg; 08-01-2015 at 08:47 PM.

vCash
    Fished for about 5 hours earlier. Got 3 to be proud of ha. Now I'm sipping woodford and playing tug of war with my lab. Sweating out the whiskey playing with this dog ha

vCash
    It's Tax Free school shopping weekend. Wife had to work today, and I was doing some writing on a side project - so at 5:00 we head out with two teenagers and hit 5 stores in 3 hours. Only food we could agree on is Waffle House. So, I am waiting on my All-Star breakfast for dinner, cause this is where winners eat.
    Got 2 shirts at academy. Actually had no idea it was going on until I checked out.

Got the big setups rigged up and ready to go. Weather permitting (fingers crossed) I'm going offshore tomorrow. If the weatherman gets it wrong we'll chase reds in the marsh. My nightcap is some gentlemen Jack. My bourbon cabinet is coming together.

vCash
    Out at a whisk(e)y bar in downtown Houston. Bartender gave me Noah's mill 15 year old bourbon. Very good. Have to find a bottle for the collection. Give it a try.

vCash
    Ran out to some shallow rigs and got a quick limit of mangrove snapper. Fished for a bit at the south end of the islands and it was shark city. Did catch 1 nice white trout for the box but everything else was lady fish and sharks. Full report coming later.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 08-04-2015 at 01:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Out at a whisk(e)y bar in downtown Houston. Bartender gave me Noah's mill 15 year old bourbon. Very good. Have to find a bottle for the collection. Give it a try.
    Noah's Mill is great. By far my favorite of the Willett stuff that I've had. Maybe the highest proof bourbon I've had straight, but it sure didn't feel like it going down.

vCash
    Smoked a small brisket today. From a local beef farmer a county over. Made collards, cornbread, and apple cider braised cabbage for sides. I didn't get great pics of the sides, but here's the brisket.

Didn't get in to any rum or gin this weekend as I thought I would. Finished off a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel (2005) on Friday, had a Pimm's cup yesterday, and capped off my brisket tonight with some Larceny:

vCash
    That brisket looks world class good

vCash
    So, I am waiting on my All-Star breakfast for dinner, cause this is where winners eat.
    This made me laugh. A lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    That brisket looks world class good
    Thanks, man. It turned out well. The past few small ones I've smoked have come off the grill after a few hours to be used for smoked brisket chili (an amazing dish for smaller briskets or random, potentially tough flat cuts without the point muscle, by the way), and I had forgotten how even the little cuts can sometime take forever. (This guy in particular was a stubborn S.O.B. Didn't get much of a stall, but just a really, really slow ascent to 200 degrees.)

Forgot to mention my wood choices today -- mostly apple, with a couple of chunks each of pecan and hickory. Usually don't use as much apple wood on a cut of beef, but I discovered this morning that it was pretty much all I had left, save for a few stray bits of pecan. The hickory came in later on, after our Sunday grocery run gave me a chance to restock.