Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: psych/experimental/weird/noise/indie/garage/etc music discussion

vCash
    local portland band just released their first LP. i'm a really big fan of it.

http://stillcaves.bandcamp.com/

vCash
    Going to see royal headache tomorrow. Soulful garage punk. Kinda an Australian dirtbombs if you've heard the dirtbombs. New album due in a few weeks. Can stream their debut LP here though. Psychotic episode > girls is about as good as it gets for this style of music.

https://royalheadache.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-lp

I'd also be interested to hear what other folks think of some of the stuff being posted and post some of your own favorites. There's like 220+ views and not all of them are just us 2. Plus if there's something you like, I can probably direct to to more similar stuff.

vCash
    Aww yeah, just saw that dan deacon and yonatan gat will both be playing in town in September and October.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Nice. That Yontan Gat show will be rocking.

Only live event on my horizon is Sturgill Simpson next month. I'm super stoked.

I've gotten pretty lax about shows, come to think of it. Part of it is of course just being an old stick in the mud. My record store clerk days are passed, and my "new" music now is more often old jazz, blues, or country than new indie stuff. I guess having a young child and regular job-type-job doesn't help either.

And then there's location. Chattanooga's amazing, but just not quite big enough to support a thriving scene for touring indie rock bands. (Population's around 175k, and situated smack between Nashville and Atlanta, both of which bands would prefer to play when passing through.) There was a brief stint in the late 1990s and early 2000s where we somehow got great bands regularly. Acts like Neutral Milk Hotel, Olivia Tremor Control, Radar Bros., Lambchop, Man or Astroman (who came back to town about six months ago and played a killer show at a tiny dive bar), Elf Power, Of Montreal, Cat Power, Smog, American Analog Set, Neil Michael Hagerty, and so on all played here in the span of just a few years. It was a great time, but I don't get the sense that it's being replicated with analogous bands today. (Says a guy with almost no sense of what's happening in contemporary indie rock.) We've gotten some bands to come around recently -- the Flaming Lips, Band of Horses, Dr. Dog, etc. -- that probably wouldn't have come ten years ago, but it's slim pickings overall for indie music. (We do get some solid old-time, string bands performances, so that's a huge plus.)

Granted, that never used to be a problem when I'd just head to Atlanta or Nashville for shows all the time. That's just less feasible for me these days.

Man, this is getting a little melancholy, isn't it? My bad, dude. Glad you've got some good shows on the horizon. Pay no mind to the retired hipster waxing nostalgically about his glory years.

vCash
    Sounds like the noog was on the old elephant 6 touring route. Having kids can definitely put a damper on shows. 34 and engaged here, but no plans for kids anytime soon.

And yeah that yonatan gat show will be awesome. He came through last spring and I got 1 friend to go with me. Both of us said it was the best $9 show we've ever seen, ha. Now we are both trying to get more friends rounded up this time around.

vCash
    Congrats on the engagement. Marriage is good stuff. And, for what it's worth, so is having a baby. Indescribable, really. She's only 16 months old, and I'm not sure that a day has passed yet where she hasn't blown my mind.

In the E6's heyday, I feel like Chattanooga was almost like a launchpad for touring bands out of the Athens scene. In addition to the ones I named before, I saw the Essex Green, the Gerbils, Ladybug Transistor, Casper and the Cookies, and the Music Tapes play in Chattanooga in that same period (roughly '98 to '03). You combine those shows with the non-E6 shows from bands like I mentioned before, you get a pretty solid music scene, especially for a town this size in the South.

The days of the $9 show seem long gone. I remember getting annoyed when I had to pay $15 to see the Flaming Lips at a little club in Knoxville in '99 or 2000.

vCash
    It's been a swell maps kinda morning at work

Now on to protomartyr. Live the singer for protomartyr definitely makes me think lane kiffin got drunk at a wedding and stumbled on stage to sing with the band, complete with sloshing around a cocktail the entire time.

[video=http://youtu.be/Me1d3Zpzv-Y]http://youtu.be/Me1d3Zpzv-Y[/video]
    Last edited by dawgs; 08-21-2015 at 03:17 PM.

vCash
    Saw a sentence mentioning both big blood and big black earlier today, so that's what I ended up listening to.

Such a good song:

Such a good album:

vCash
    My playlist is toward the end of "S" right now. Today has included the Kinks, the Radar Bros., Spacemen 3, and Spoon, among others:

vCash
    Big Blood sounds nice. Are they a pacific northwest band?

Reminds me a bit of Nina Nastasia and Freakwater, which is nice, because I haven't listened to them in ages.

vCash
    Big blood is from Vermont or New Hampshire or upstate New York. They don't tour much but they put out or at least used to put out albums all the time.

vCash
    Listened to a little dan deacon earlier in preparation for tonight.

Now listening to the best band ever to come out of New Zealand, the dead c

vCash
    Walked down the street to see these guys tonight. Probably needed more than one beer in my system before I headed down there because it's very psychedelic shit.

vCash
    Yeah man, a two-piece drone pysch band that consists of a guitar and a synth is probably a tough sell mostly sober. I didn't watch the full half-hour, but I saw some highs and lows. Maybe it's just me, but I thought some bits would be improved substantially with another musician or two. Drums especially would've been helpful.

Saw Sturgill Simpson over the weekend. As awesome as I thought he'd be. Saw him at an outdoor venue attached to a Harley dealer and BBQ joint in Maryville, TN, the backdrop of which is the Smoky Mountains. One of the more diverse crowds I've ever seen at a show. From hipster to frat boy to top-40 country fan to biker to redneck to late-middle-aged diehard. Seeing a GBV fanboy recoil at the plumes of tobacco smoke coming from a dude smoking a big ass pipe right in front of him was a highlight. Actually got a little rowdy. Standing room only, and people were drinking and smoking (and, um, also smoking) freely. The crowd was raucous the entire night and a surprising number of people knew (and drunkenly sang) the words to every damn song. Guess his appeal has become pretty widespread. Simpson took it in stride for the most part. A far cry from the theater shows he's been playing, I'm sure.

Anyway, the show was great. He jammed out quite a bit, and many of those moments expanded upon some of the spacier sounds on his last record. Even without the foodie stops we took on our way up (the home of Benton's bacon, for example, is about halfway between Chattanooga and Maryville), it was a hell of a day.

vCash
    Going to lose yr mind fest here in town this weekend. DIY oriented garage/punk stuff. No age is headlining Saturday night.

vCash
    new psych krautrock band out of japan. minami deutsch. pretty awesome.

https://gurugurubrain.bandcamp.com/album/minami-deutsch

vCash
    Hells yes

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...unite-in-2016/

Edit: well shit, the co-owner of DFA released a statement saying there was no truth to the rumors.
    Last edited by dawgs; 10-08-2015 at 04:52 PM.

vCash
    October is a busy concert month for me. Julia holter last night. her first album, tragedy, is one of my favorites of the last 5 years. Live, she's gotten better and better each time i've seen her. nice blend of avant garde pop, free jazz, noise bursts, and ambient drone.

tomorrow night is some quality scuzz punk by way of australia with ****z (edit: hmm, well let's just say their name is an inappropriate name for female genitalia with a z on the end to make it plural) coming to town.

https://homelessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/solid-mates

and then friday is ought, who put out one of the best albums of 2015 thus far.

vCash
    oh man, i have a new favorite band of the moment. girl band. this is the most excited about a new band discovery since viet cong started putting stuff out (which i don't know if that counts since they were already on my radar due to 2 of the guys being former members of the band women, which was amazing as well).

NSFW video. cover of blawan's "why they hide the bodies under my garage".

Last edited by dawgs; 10-17-2015 at 06:36 PM.

vCash
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but if you're in MS, MPB (Public Radio) has an absolutely awesome Sunday night lineup If you like Ambient/Chamber music. Starting at 8:00 PM is Hearts Of Space. At 9:00 it's Echoes. I never miss these, they're a great way to relax before the upcoming week.

Not to mention, you get to hear some really cool music.