Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: psych/experimental/weird/noise/indie/garage/etc music discussion

vCash
    that sounds pretty cool. i remember back in the late 90s/early 00s when 91.1 would have some really cool shows for different types of music. now whenever i'm back in town and turn it on, it's shit like mumford and sons and vampire weekend over and over all the time.

vCash
    Seeing yonatan gat tonight. Stoked. Best $9 concert you'll ever see if you get the chance.

vCash
    it's been awhile since i bumped this thread. end of year best of list are starting to come out. i'm going to be out of the country the next few weeks, but after christmas i'll probably be back fluffing music pretty much no one else like except maybe prediction pain.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Randomly thought of Comets on Fire the other day. Hadn't listened to those guys in years. That has now been corrected. At their best -- or at least at those moments I enjoy their stuff the most --- they're sort of a heavy, sludgy version of Ummagumma-era Floyd.

Enjoy your travel abroad, dawgs.

vCash
    And I'm back. I have a huge backlog of new music to get thru after going thru a lot of year end lists. Pretty stoked about the pickathon lineup announced last night. Pretty much the most stacked lineup they've ever had. Best festival in the country bar none.

Jeff tweedy solo, yo la tengo, beach house, thee oh sees, Dan deacon, Julia holter, protomartyr, v?hl, black mountain, badbadnotgood, ty segall, la luz, moon duo, Ezra furman, futurebirds, sir Richard bishop, and many many more.

http://pickathon.com/2016/01/2016-lineup/

vCash
    Night 2 of Godspeed you black emperor in a couple hours. Last night was seriously one of the best shows I've ever seen. Music for the apocalypse, yet strangely triumphant. Powerful stuff.

vCash
    it's been awhile. been having a lot of house work done and haven't had much time to venture in here to post stuff, but having downloaded the new king gizzard and the lizard wizard album...holy shit, it's straight fire. put it on repeat so that the end of the album loops right back into the first track like it was intended.

this live show has some tracks from the new album, as well as some tracks from their great album, i'm in your mind fuzz from 2014.

stream the whole album here: http://www.npr.org/2016/04/21/474678...nagon-infinity

the new parquet courts and new woods albums are both pretty great too.

vCash
    Thanks for posting this, man. I wasn't familiar with this band. There's some awesome stuff packed into that video.

I've been MIA for some time too. We just bought a house and are smack in the middle of the poo that is moving and getting our old house on the market, all while we're planning for "Kid 2: The Sequel," who's due in mid-July. So yeah, my free time is mostly spent drinking a cocktail and staring off into space while everyone else is asleep.

I've perused the new Parquet Court's record, but only in passing. I'm hot and cold with them.

Lately I've been getting into some of the bands on the Paradise of Bachelors label out of North Carolina. I wasn't really turned on to any of the stuff till this past Christmas, but the label's really got a nice lineup.

On an unrelated topic, when I was getting those links, I can across a video of Os Mutantes playing together in 2013. Man. Haven't listened to those dudes in forever. And it never occurred to me that they'd still be playing together. Or maybe the 2013 deal was a reunion or something. Unexpected, regardless.

vCash
    Couldn't fit this one in the last post:

It's a few years old, but he was new to me.

vCash
    chris forsyth has a new album out this year a lot of people are raving about. i'm backlogged on music right now and haven't caught up with it.

this band, horse lords, out of baltimore are pretty amazing. kinda cross of afrobeat, psych, noise, drone, jazz, and pretty much everything in between. they rebuild their instruments from scratch in order to get specific sounds, which is kinda awesome too.

https://horselords.bandcamp.com/

stream their whole discography here. new one is interventions.

vCash
    oh yeah, there's a lot of weird stuff going on with radiohead's site and social media right now. could be minutes or could be months away from a new album randomly dropping, but worth monitoring.

vCash
    Really liking both new radiohead tracks. Kind of a kid a/amnesiac era vibe, but less electronic. The aesthetic is much more pleasing to me than the king of limbs, which was way too glitchy and cluttered for my tastes. It was a bad album, but it's probably only ahead of Pablo honey is the radiohead album rankings.

Oh yeah, and the new album is out Sunday at 7 pm uk time.

https://youtu.be/yI2oS2hoL0k

vCash
    Not sure what Ann Landers has to say about bumping three-year-old threads out of nowhere, but what the hell. With 8,600 views, at least it's a well-trafficked three-year-old thread, right?

Honestly, I just wanted a place to post this video of Tortoise recently playing their amazing album TNT in its entirety:

If you dig early 70s Pink Floyd or spacey or jazzy instrumental stuff or are just looking for something to play in the background during your last hour or so at your desk before clocking out for the weekend, it's well worth your time.