Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: psych/experimental/weird/noise/indie/garage/etc music discussion

vCash

psych/experimental/weird/noise/indie/garage/etc music discussion

from a thread on the regular board that devolved into discussing more obscure music. in this thread, feel free to add anything you wish. links to videos, bandcamp, or whatever is fine. i'd imagine illegal download links would get squashed, so probably avoid those. here's a post of recs i made over there to get us started.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Check out parson sound, kinski, destruction unit, Boris (specifically the albums "pink" and "smile"), follakzoid, eternal tapestry, moon duo, thee of sees, les rallizes denudes, acid mothers temple, mainliner, Oneida, wet hair, raccoo-oo-oon, tonstartssbandht, viet cong, can, neu.

Ranges from garage rock (thee of sees) to very experimental (les rallizes denudes), but all rooted in true psychedelic stuff, not they hippie fake psychedelic bullshit, ha.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Man, that was quick.

I see you've expanded the parameters of the discussion to include more than just psych. I can dig that. The more the merrier.

Before leaving psych-ish stuff, though, here are the few that popped into my head while checking yours out (other than the ones I mentioned earlier in the thread, like Spacemen 3, Tame Impala, etc.): Broadcast (one of my old favorites regardless of genre; melodic, eerie, and pleasant all at the same time), Bardo Pond (loudest band I've ever seen live), Red Krayola (old, old school noisy, arty pysch), Soft Machine (one of Pink Floyd's contemporaries in the mid- to late-60s in London; proggy, jazzy, interesting), Olivia Tremor Control (sound collages + catchy, fuzzy pop + surreal themes), and Wooden Shjips. All very different, ranging from poppy to noisy to proggy.

Anyway, here's a quick sample of some of those bands.

Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 07-29-2015 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    i figured even with the expanded genre discussion, it'll be 90% you and me posting random shit, ha.

here's some stuff from the bands i listed:

if you think bardo pond is loud, you need to see destruction unit. destruction unit, swans, black dice, and sunn 0))) are the 4 loudest bands i've ever seen live. sunn 0))) caused a shelf behind the bar to rattle off the brackets and sent dozens of liquor bottles crashing on the floor.

vCash
    and some more:

vCash
    spent my weekend at pickathon in happy valley oregon. i swore i'd never do another camping festival after my 3rd bonnaroo, but have been eyeing this one for a couple of years now. ~3500 tickets limit per day, every band plays 2 sets, camping is in the woods so you aren't woken up at 7 am by the sun turning your tent into a sauna, some of the best food from around portland + many of oregon's best breweries on tap. an awesome fest.

among the bands i saw, the aforementioned viet cong, cloud nothings, diiv, kamasi washington, ex hex, leon bridges, nathan bowles, meatbodies, broncho, a giant dog, and lots more. can post some vids and pics later.

vCash
    Though multi-day camping festivals don't appeal all that much to me anymore either, what you just went to sounds great -- great music under the canopy of an old forest. I've only been to one Bonnaroo, but yeah, middle Tennessee in June can be brutally hot just as frequently as it can be wonderfully temperate. (I live about an hour from Manchester, so Tennessee's temperamental late-spring weather is old hat.) The year that I went, it was pretty freaking hot. (It also rained like crazy one night, forcing me and my friend to abandon our leaky tent for the gloriously non-ventilated car.) I remember watching Sonic Youth play and thinking what a jackass Jim O'Rourke was (he was in the band at the time) to be wearing a freaking fur coat and jeans while it was in the upper 80s and humid as balls. Indie cred, I guess. The total lack of shade can be a killer on days like that. Of course, I had a really good time and the bands I saw were great. It was just uncomfortably warm.

Your post reminds me that I recently stumbled upon an event in Wales that would probably make me strongly reconsider my general disinterest of camping festivals. It's called Green Man and appears to be in the most idyllic setting possible for a festival. From the look of it, it's a place you could take your family and just chill out for a few days while listening to great music.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 08-03-2015 at 09:20 PM.

vCash
    yeah this fest is very very family friendly. kids 12 and under go free, ages 13-18 go for like half price. and it stared like 12 years ago as a pure bluegrass/folk/americana type fest, but has moved to a more eclectic lineup the last 5 years or so. the residents near the farm all get free tickets. probably a solid 20-25% of the crowd are over 60 and have been going since it was just bluegrass/folk/americana.

i've always thought some of the ATP fests could be great for a non-shitshow festival experience.

Here's a few pics i took -

Inside of the barn:

The cover over the main stage and crowd:

Our vantage point thru the garage door of the barn that we posted up at most every night. Saturday night Leon bridges > Ty segall > viet cong from here was pretty much the pinnacle of the weekend, this pic is from diiv:

tune-yards at the woods stage:

Hammocks for open use around the woods stage:

here's a pretty awesome article about it too from a couple years ago with more pics - http://noisey.vice.com/read/i-went-t...n-planet-earth
    Last edited by dawgs; 08-03-2015 at 09:50 PM.

vCash
    just went to look up the next ATP fest. the lineup looks pretty great.

Thee Oh Sees, Courtney Barnett, Built To Spill, Om, Max Richter (performing The Blue Notebooks), The Notwist (performing Neon Golden), The Album Leaf (performing In A Safe Place), Chelsea Wolfe, Natalie Prass, Jessica Pratt, Total Control, Warm Soda, Holly Herndon, Micachu & The Shapes, Viet Cong, Andy Stott, Lightning Bolt, Braids, Loop, Suuns + Jerusalem In My Heart, Micah P. Hinson, Ought, Pharmakon, Vatican Shadow, F?llakzoid, Warm Graves, Dead Rider, Blanck Mass, Iceage, Dinos Chapman, Death, Xylouris White, Russell Haswell, Andrew Hung, Younghusband, Vision Fortune, Black Pus, Emptyset, Extreme Precautions, Helm, Paus, Fumaca Preta, Avec le Soleil Sortant de sa Bouche, Sculpture, Dan Friel, Grimm Grimm plus more to be confirmed.

the bolded one are just the ones i recognize that would immediately be must sees. there's plenty of others i'd definitely want to try to check out, and i'm sure there's plenty of others i haven't listened to that i would enjoy.

vCash
    Man, I'd forgotten about All Tomorrow's Parties. I remember getting the annual "soundtrack" in every year when I worked in a record store back in the day. Who's curating this year? Used to run the gamut. I seem to recall Tortoise hosting, and maybe Malkmus one year.

Just checked wikipedia. Yeah, Tortoise and Malkmus curated . . . a decade ago. Yikes. I guess I'm dating myself over here . . . .

vCash
    Just noticed that you didn't bold Built to Spill. They'd be pretty high on my list among the others in the lineup, even if more for nostalgic reasons than a love of their last couple of albums. Not much of a fan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Just noticed that you didn't bold Built to Spill. They'd be pretty high on my list among the others in the lineup, even if more for nostalgic reasons than a love of their last couple of albums. Not much of a fan?
    Used to be a big fan. I would go see them if they played perfect from now on or keep it like a secret in their entirety, but just not a fan of the more recent stuff. I've seen them probably 5 or 6 times going back to the early to mid 00s. But none recently. They've played here in town 3 or 4 times over the last few years and I haven't really thought twice about not going.

vCash
    Probably gonna figure out at least 1 night of the Portland psych fest to check out this weekend. A lot of the bands are local, but if you see anything you know on here that's a must see, let me know.

http://www.portlandpsychfest.com/

vCash
    I know of none of the bands at the Portland psych fest. Hope it's good times. (You ever been to the psych fest in Austin? Their lineups always seem to be amazing.)

As for Built to Spill, I understand your feelings. The past couple of albums haven't really grown on me the way the earlier ones did (especially the two you mentioned). And if they played the South nearly as much as they played in the Pacific Northwest, I'd probably feel the same way you do.

vCash
    Never done Austin psych fest, but hoping portland's can get to the point of having lineups like that one day. Part of the reason I wanna check out at least 1 night to help support it.

vCash
    I've now listened to most of Eternal Tapestry's back catalog on Spotify. I've dug most of it, especially the first record they made after signing to Thrill Jockey. (I also like that all the songs on their most recent album are named after woodland (and mostly native) plants. As an avid hiker and massive native plant geek, I find that to be in good form.) Thanks for the rec.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 08-06-2015 at 09:24 AM.

vCash
    Ha, nice, and no problem. Probably my favorite record of their's is the invisible landscape.

vCash
    listened to thus far this morning while working:

institute (think joy division inspired post punk)

sheer mag (think cheap trick on an old cassette tape, played in a boombox with the volume turned all the way and buried 3 feet underground - in other words, it's one of my favorite things i've listened to all year, especially button up which starts at the 11:14 mark)

finally, listening to pavement - westing (by musket and sextant) - no description necessary i hope

vCash
    Pavement's been one of my favorite bands since high school. Love their stuff. Only got to seem them once during their original years, on the Terror Twilight tour. They played "Box Elder" as an encore. It was awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Pavement's been one of my favorite bands since high school. Love their stuff. Only got to seem them once during their original years, on the Terror Twilight tour. They played "Box Elder" as an encore. It was awesome.
    Yeah pavement is one of my favs too. Never saw them live unfortunately, even on the mini-reunion in 2010, I was in DC at the time and the only show they played in the area was some shitty festival at merriweather post pavilion. Didn't wanna pay for a full day of mediocre music to have my only pavement live experience to be a 45 min set in a half empty shed at 2 pm.

I see malkmus around Portland regularly though. He used to go to a lot of shows like a decade ago, but with kids and everything now, I haven't seen him at many since he moved back from Berlin.

vCash
    New ought album leaked last night. It's pretty ****ing awesome. After my first spin this morning, definitely gonna be one of my favorites of the year. Their first LP and EP are great too and should be on spotify or something.