Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of an impact did getting rid of Les kenning have with our improved offense?

vCash

How much of an impact did getting rid of Les kenning have with our improved offense?

It seemed like CDM and Les were never on the same page when it came to play calling. Obviously the biggest reason for our improved offense was Dak, but I also thought that CDM did a better job with play calling (still questionable at times but better). What are yals thoughts?

vCash
    Les held our offense back. He's gone. Offense is better.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    I'm not sure how much it helped ultimately but Les Keoning as our OC was like tits on a hog

vCash
    It had no bearing. What made our offense better was going from Tyler to Dak. Les is nothing but a convenient excuse.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    It had no bearing. What made our offense better was going from Tyler to Dak. Les is nothing but a convenient excuse.
    Agreed. Our offensive improvement is as simple as looking at who the QB is now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post

Tyler to Dak helped but Les couldn't call his way out of a paper bag while he was here.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Tyler to Dak helped but Les couldn't call his way out of a paper bag while he was here.
    Uh, he called some great games with Relf, a running QB, under center....

vCash
    Whoever told Tyler he was a decent running QB and should hold the ball that long is to blame.

For some reason, Russell thought he was a good enough runner to be elusive. That just wasn't the case. He never had the sheer number of pass catchers that Dak will have this year. I do think he was a good leader, and a dedicated player.

Back on topic, Les made some calls that really made me wonder why he was on the staff. It's not as though he moved on to another OC job if I recall correctly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Uh, he called some great games with Relf, a running QB, under center....
    And then couldn't recognize that Tyler wasn't a running QB. Relf was a great athlete who made plays despite what was called many times.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Not sure why anyone is defending the man. Everyone wanted him gone and then he goes on a tour through MS badmouthing our head coach because sour grapes..

Anyway, that's my opinion. Done with this topic before it blows up into something that it isn't.
    LFC YNWA

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    None

vCash
    Who's defending Les? I must have missed it. I think maybe he was hired initially to get some inroads for recruiting in Alabama. But that's just a guess.

vCash
    I saw the other day where he'll be the new OC at UAB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    None
    None? Why do you say that?

I think you call plays better than Les at the very least. I appreciate you being modest, but I think the offense runs better now than it did then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg4Life View Post

I think you call plays better than Les at the very least. I appreciate you being modest, but I think the offense runs better now than it did then.
    That's the thing Mullen always called the offense. Les was just a convenient scapegoat. Put Tyler back at QB this year it would look no different than a few years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    That's the thing Mullen always called the offense. Les was just a convenient scapegoat. Put Tyler back at QB this year it would look no different than a few years ago.
    ^^^^ That's a bingo.

vCash

Mullen has always been calling the plays. All Les did was help gameplan. And about halfway thru 2013- he even stopped Les from doing that
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Mullen has always been calling the plays. All Les did was help gameplan. And about halfway thru 2013- he even stopped Les from doing that
    So, when we would see Dan fussing at Les through his headset during the games, what would they be fussing about? If Dan called all the plays, what was there to fuss about during the game?

vCash
    I just never understood why we abandoned the no huddle after the 2011 season. I don't know who's decision that was. In the 2013 opener against Ok State we never broke the huddle with more than 20 on the play clock. I don't know if Mullen and Les were arguing about what play to call or what, but that was head scratching to me. We brought the no huddle back last year and it did wonders.

vCash
    So, when we would see Dan fussing at Les through his headset during the games, what would they be fussing about? If Dan called all the plays, what was there to fuss about during the game?
    You're assuming Dan was fussing at Les about a play. Ever think about Les recommending something Dan didn't want to do?