Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Recruiting Thoughts...

vCash

Some Recruiting Thoughts...

It seems as though we might get a commitment from Greg Eiland here in the next few weeks. He's a big 6'6 330 OL from Philadelphia. If we add him, that leaves us with Nalls, Parker, Champion. While also waiting on Scott Lashley out of West Point. The wild card here I think is Gentle Williams out of Florence who could play either G/T. Have seen where he had a great BDC showing. This could be a pretty interesting situation to keep an eye on.

Keeping it with offense, I'm wondering what is going on at WR. We're on AJ Brown hard and seem to be turning up the heat on Daniel Cornwell. But after those two, I don't know who we're on. I keep hearing of Jerriko Morris, but I don't think he'll pull the trigger. I see we had a 4* WR visit as BDC, his name escapes me right now. Could this leave open a spot for John Michael Hankerson?

The next thing I wanna talk about is the DL class. With the recent decommitment of Caleb Tillman; that leaves Tre Brown as our only commmited DL. It seems to me, though, we are putting a lot of hope on the instate guys to stay home: Jeff Simmons, Damion Dickens, Kobe Jones, the Mason kid from down in McComb; The two wild cards are Emmitt Gooden but he looks like a TN lean and a hopeful flip of Rae Davis, a guy who could play either DL or OL.

At LB we have DeShon Cooper who some say may or may not be in the class and if he is, he will play with his hand on the ground. Erroll Thompson and Jeremiah Moon have us in their Top 5s. Thompson is 6'3 240 already so I could see him with his hand on the ground as well. Moon is more of a OLB type.

At DB it seems when we are almost done, we pick up another guy. They're saying Nero Nelson might play DB with the group we already have Durr, Morgan-Walker, Allen, Dantzler, Jones, Charles. You keep a spot open for Knott if he decides to stay in state. We then offered Ronald Walker after BDC, a former Ole Miss signee, who I think is gonna be this year's Tony Bridges. I really like this kid and hope we can find room in this class, but it seems we might be limited.

You look at the guys we have leaving after this year: Prescott, Morrow, Hutcherson, R. Warren, J. Malone, Ryan Brown, Zach Jackson, Kendrick Market, Calhoun, Redmond, Devon Bell. With some JRs who have the potential to leave: Chris Jones, De'Runny Wilson for sure and possibly Richie Brown, Beni Brown, and Fred Ross. Coupled in that Christy has already left along with Sillis and Flowers who may or may not be back. That is 15 scholarships right there not including the Brown bros and Fred Ross. It'll be interesting to see how this class shapes out come Feb.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    OL - Gentle is a C/G prospect not G/T he's only about 6'3". He did look really good at BDC.

WR - AJ is the top target of course. We're on Crowell not confident in flipping him right now. Marquis McClain from Fla is a take & we lead for him. Jeriko has work to do in the class room. Whenever we tell him to get in he will. I'm not huge on Hankerson but we'll see how that shakes out.

DL - We have Tre committed. Kobe will be a Dawg. Dickens & Mason are heavy leans. We continue to recruit Jeffery the way we have & he will be a Dawg in the end. That would be a great haul & if you can flip Raekwon that would be the icing on the cake even though I think he's a future All SEC RT. Also sign & place Marquiss Spencer.

LB - I don't see Cooper in this class. Erroll & Moon are the top 2 LB & both are deciding in the next month or so. I feel really good on Erroll & ok on Moon. Moon just doesn't talk recruiting to anybody so hard to get a read on him. After those 2 the next group is JaCorey Morris (South Carolina commit from AL), Drelan Porter from USP, & DeRyan Wansley from Newton Co. Wansley is the only 1 of the group without an offer.

DB - I think the only guy we would take is Knott. Now if Cam Dantzler gets an LSU offer & flips that would open up a spot. I'm hoping that doesn't happen but have to prepare for the worse. Ron Walker gave himself an offer not the coaches. He doesn't have an offer as of today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    It seems as though we might get a commitment from Greg Eiland here in the next few weeks. He's a big 6'6 330 OL from Philadelphia. If we add him, that leaves us with Nalls, Parker, Champion. While also waiting on Scott Lashley out of West Point. The wild card here I think is Gentle Williams out of Florence who could play either G/T. Have seen where he had a great BDC showing. This could be a pretty interesting situation to keep an eye on.

Keeping it with offense, I'm wondering what is going on at WR. We're on AJ Brown hard and seem to be turning up the heat on Daniel Cornwell. But after those two, I don't know who we're on. I keep hearing of Jerriko Morris, but I don't think he'll pull the trigger. I see we had a 4* WR visit as BDC, his name escapes me right now. Could this leave open a spot for John Michael Hankerson?

The next thing I wanna talk about is the DL class. With the recent decommitment of Caleb Tillman; that leaves Tre Brown as our only commmited DL. It seems to me, though, we are putting a lot of hope on the instate guys to stay home: Jeff Simmons, Damion Dickens, Kobe Jones, the Mason kid from down in McComb; The two wild cards are Emmitt Gooden but he looks like a TN lean and a hopeful flip of Rae Davis, a guy who could play either DL or OL.

At LB we have DeShon Cooper who some say may or may not be in the class and if he is, he will play with his hand on the ground. Erroll Thompson and Jeremiah Moon have us in their Top 5s. Thompson is 6'3 240 already so I could see him with his hand on the ground as well. Moon is more of a OLB type.

At DB it seems when we are almost done, we pick up another guy. They're saying Nero Nelson might play DB with the group we already have Durr, Morgan-Walker, Allen, Dantzler, Jones, Charles. You keep a spot open for Knott if he decides to stay in state. We then offered Ronald Walker after BDC, a former Ole Miss signee, who I think is gonna be this year's Tony Bridges. I really like this kid and hope we can find room in this class, but it seems we might be limited.

You look at the guys we have leaving after this year: Prescott, Morrow, Hutcherson, R. Warren, J. Malone, Ryan Brown, Zach Jackson, Kendrick Market, Calhoun, Redmond, Devon Bell. With some JRs who have the potential to leave: Chris Jones, De'Runny Wilson for sure and possibly Richie Brown, Beni Brown, and Fred Ross. Coupled in that Christy has already left along with Sillis and Flowers who may or may not be back. That is 15 scholarships right there not including the Brown bros and Fred Ross. It'll be interesting to see how this class shapes out come Feb.
    Very, very low likelihood IMO that either Brown or Ross would leave early. Beni Brown would probably be the highest probability of the 3 but even that is very low unless he just dominates this year. Wilson is the most likely to go IMO just because he is such a big, physical receiver with great hands. That combination doesn't come along every day.

vCash
    That's why I included Wilson with Chris Jones as the two that we can be pretty confident in as this will be their last year here. I have heard from some people that Mullen expects Richie Brown to leave for the draft after this year as well; that's why included him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    OL - Gentle is a C/G prospect not G/T he's only about 6'3". He did look really good at BDC.

WR - AJ is the top target of course. We're on Crowell not confident in flipping him right now. Marquis McClain from Fla is a take & we lead for him. Jeriko has work to do in the class room. Whenever we tell him to get in he will. I'm not huge on Hankerson but we'll see how that shakes out.

DL - We have Tre committed. Kobe will be a Dawg. Dickens & Mason are heavy leans. We continue to recruit Jeffery the way we have & he will be a Dawg in the end. That would be a great haul & if you can flip Raekwon that would be the icing on the cake even though I think he's a future All SEC RT. Also sign & place Marquiss Spencer.

LB - I don't see Cooper in this class. Erroll & Moon are the top 2 LB & both are deciding in the next month or so. I feel really good on Erroll & ok on Moon. Moon just doesn't talk recruiting to anybody so hard to get a read on him. After those 2 the next group is JaCorey Morris (South Carolina commit from AL), Drelan Porter from USP, & DeRyan Wansley from Newton Co. Wansley is the only 1 of the group without an offer.

DB - I think the only guy we would take is Knott. Now if Cam Dantzler gets an LSU offer & flips that would open up a spot. I'm hoping that doesn't happen but have to prepare for the worse. Ron Walker gave himself an offer not the coaches. He doesn't have an offer as of today.
    Can always count on you for the inside information. What are the chances you think Dantzler gets that LSU offer?

vCash
    Can always count on you for the inside information. What are the chances you think Dantzler gets that LSU offer?
    There's a chance. Right now I would lean towards him not getting 1 but he's camping there Friday so we'll know more in the next week.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Drelan Porter from USP

DB - Now if Cam Dantzler gets an LSU offer & flips that would open up a spot.
    Why is Porter not considered an om lock?

Damn, I hope Cam stays...who would get the spot if he were to flip?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post

1. BC he has good grades & can go where he pleases

2. Maybe back to Quincy Lento maybe Ronald Walker gets a committable offer may just move Nero & Korey Charles both to defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post

2. Maybe back to Quincy Lento maybe Ronald Walker gets a committable offer may just move Nero & Korey Charles both to defense.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash

Interesting, thanks!

vCash
    I have heard from some people that Mullen expects Richie Brown to leave for the draft after this year as well; that's why included him.
    This is definitely the first I have heard of this....he doesn't seem like a candidate to leave early for the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    This is definitely the first I have heard of this....he doesn't seem like a candidate to leave early for the draft.
    I can see him wanting this only because now that he is married, he'll want to/feel the need to provide for his family & future, thus will work his butt off this season to make things happen on the field to set himself up for possible draft.

vCash
    Just like Preston Smith had his daughter in mind every time he took that field last year as motivation to play to his full potential

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg99 View Post
    I can see him wanting this only because now that he is married, he'll want to/feel the need to provide for his family & future, thus will work his butt off this season to make things happen on the field to set himself up for possible draft.
    He's married? He have a kid?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    He's married? He have a kid?
    No kid. He & longtime girlfriend Erin Nesbit (also MSU student) got married earlier this summer/spring. They're both good strong Christian couple. But I'm sure kids are in the future sooner rather than later if I had to guess. Who knows though.

vCash
    I think she was a softball player as well.

vCash
    No kid. He & longtime girlfriend Erin Nesbit (also MSU student) got married earlier this summer/spring. They're both good strong Christian couple. But I'm sure kids are in the future sooner rather than later if I had to guess. Who knows though.
    I know he's a promising LB, and has shown the potential to be All SEC, but is he looking at an NFL career? I also wonder if he's on track to graduate this year, since it's year 4 with his redshirting. Could be he could use that 5th year to work toward his masters. Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to roll all the dice on an NFL job.

vCash
    So, Freeze had no reason to fear for his soul?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    So, Freeze had no reason to fear for his soul?
    True story. Nor is he a show-boaty kind of person from what I can gather. His beard does however have it's own Twitter handle but how can you blame it? Although I'm still curious as to who runs that handle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcentral View Post
    I know he's a promising LB, and has shown the potential to be All SEC, but is he looking at an NFL career? I also wonder if he's on track to graduate this year, since it's year 4 with his redshirting. Could be he could use that 5th year to work toward his masters. Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to roll all the dice on an NFL job.
    I know I'm replying to you, but I'm not singling you out. Why does everyone seem to be so quick to think Richie doesn't have an NFL future? He's bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter than Cam Lawrence. He's 6'2 240 running a high 4.6 (if he goes to the combine, he will run a high 4.6). It's like everyone also assumed Beni is better in coverage. We are only discounting an NFL career because he's white. He had a great sophomore year, and I expect even more out of him this year. He has the measurables, the mind, and he will have the stats. What's the problem?

I'm not saying he should go early, but it seems to me he is a shoo-in to have at least some time in the NFL if his career arc continues at the same pace it has thus far. Am I missing something?