Thread: TV question for the board

vCash

TV question for the board

My wife and I are considering dropping cable soon and since I live in South Carolina im wondering the best option for watching all MSU games this fall? streaming ESPN360? Sling TV? Hailstate.com (streaming service)? antennae?

Dont tell me a bar, because by the time I go to a bar and eat/drink every saturday im out a months cable bill....lol

vCash
    I'm no expert but my family really enjoys Apple TV which allows me to watch SECN+ and all ESPN programming.

On top of that, HULU, Netflix and all that other crap are covered as well. Of course you'll need wifi but we love Apple TV

$100

vCash
    An also, you an stream HailState from your iPad/computer to your Apple TV if you'd like

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    I'm no expert but my family really enjoys Apple TV which allows me to watch SECN+ and all ESPN programming.

On top of that, HULU, Netflix and all that other crap are covered as well. Of course you'll need wifi but we love Apple TV

$100
    Do you not have to pay for SECN thru the cable co in order to be able to receive those games via streaming services? In other words, do you still need your cable password when using Apple TV?

Banned
    vCash

Password?

Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    Do you not have to pay for SECN thru the cable co in order to be able to receive those games via streaming services? In other words, do you still need your cable password when using Apple TV?
    Maybe your brother can come watch the game with you sometime and enter his password.

Maybe he'll forget to log out.

vCash
    Chromecast ($25) + WatchESPN will let you watch most of the games and programming you want.

CBS does a free stream of their games online as well although the app is not Chromecast enabled yet.

I made the decision to cancel our DISH yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
    Maybe your brother can come watch the game with you sometime and enter his password.

Maybe he'll forget to log out.
    Nothing cuts like valarian steel.

vCash
    I'm in the process of researching "cutting the cable". Would have done it years ago but would not have access to ESPN and college football. Still have 5-6 months left on my Direct TV contract so I'm looking to see whats available when the time comes.

Sling Tv looks like a good deal for $30 a month you can get ESPN and SEC network along with Disney for the kids.

Picked up a chromecast last night from wally world for $35.

Got it setup in about 10 minutes. Hooked it to my Ipad. Apps that have chromecast built in like netflix, hulu, ect worked perfectly. My TV already had a built in Netflix app so it wasn't that big a deal for me. My end goal was to use chromecast with sling tv but the sling tv iPad app does not have chromecast support, yet. I found out they are planning on adding it in a few months. Still pretty good deal to be able to cast family pics, youtube videos, and current theater movies to the 50" TV. (Required a $7 iPad app. PM me for details.) One trip to the theater for the family is $50+ so if we get to watch one current movie it will pay for itself. Supposed to watch Minions with the kids tonight = paid for.

There is roku and apple tv that will work with sling tv right now but they are around $100. If you sign up for 3 months of sling tv there is a $50 rebate on roku. I started with the chromecast because it was the cheapest and I had no idea what I was doing. If I was able to cut right now I would go with the roku 3 for $100 and sling tv for $30 a month plus netfix.

Oh and sling tv gets you access to WatchEspn so you have that too.

vCash
    The thing that keeps me from even considering cutting the chord is that I can't get Braves games any other way except to have cable/sat.

vCash
    Not sure if its what you are looking for but chromecast does have support for the mlbTV app. You should be able to get the braves from that. Probably have to pay to view the braves season but would certainly be cheaper than cable/sattelite

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joedog View Post
    Not sure if its what you are looking for but chromecast does have support for the mlbTV app. You should be able to get the braves from that. Probably have to pay to view the braves season but would certainly be cheaper than cable/sattelite
    If you're in the Braves footprint, which I am, you can't get Braves games through the MLBTV app.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Sling Tv looks like a good deal for $30 a month you can get ESPN and SEC network along with Disney for the kids.
    There is roku and apple tv that will work with sling tv right now but they are around $100. If you sign up for 3 months of sling tv there is a $50 rebate on roku. I started with the chromecast because it was the cheapest and I had no idea what I was doing. If I was able to cut right now I would go with the roku 3 for $100 and sling tv for $30 a month plus netfix.
    ^^This^^ + http://www.diytvantennas.com/dipole.php = cutting the cord. I've got 2 months left until my contract runs out and then I'm never going back. A couple of my buddies have already installed and tested the setup and it works great.

vCash
    I'm in the process of researching "cutting the cable". Would have done it years ago but would not have access to ESPN and college football. Still have 5-6 months left on my Direct TV contract so I'm looking to see whats available when the time comes.

Picked up a chromecast last night from wally world for $35.

Got it setup in about 10 minutes. Hooked it to my Ipad. Apps that have chromecast built in like netflix, hulu, ect worked perfectly. My TV already had a built in Netflix app so it wasn't that big a deal for me. My end goal was to use chromecast with sling tv but the sling tv iPad app does not have chromecast support, yet. I found out they are planning on adding it in a few months. Still pretty good deal to be able to cast family pics, youtube videos, and current theater movies to the 50" TV. (Required a $7 iPad app. PM me for details.) One trip to the theater for the family is $50+ so if we get to watch one current movie it will pay for itself. Supposed to watch Minions with the kids tonight = paid for.

Actually you can get a Roku streaming stick for free when signing up to Sling for 3 months. I'm using it at my condo
    and it works well.