Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reid Humphreys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I always cringe at the thought of putting someone at the DH before the season starts, especially penciling 3 or 4 guys into that slot. It can never be a good thing. To me, it either means you have too many guys who can't play defense or nobody has separated themselves offensively...or both. It's like church league softball when you got 5 guys with double knee braces who can't do anything but EH or play 1st.

With the way things are now, DH should be determined based who is hot or injured at the time.
    Totally agree.

vCash
    At least one of the JUCOs will start next year. Probably Lowe. If we're recruiting JUCO's to have them sit out a year, we might as well stop recruiting JUCO's.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Not really when you consider he will still be a freshman next year. His time will come.
    Yes it is. Your first comment said he won't play much next year bc butch is working with him to pitch even though he's a better hitter. If he's good he'll play now not 2-3 years from now. I was excited to watch him last year but of course that didn't happen.

vCash
    I think they got Lowe to back up 1B and be a power DH or PH from the left side. If Hump fails, they will have him. Gordon must need work defensively. Gordon in 2016 will pitch a lot. He will be another power bat from left side. After 2016, he will do more in the field. Sky's the limit for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Neither Rooker nor Gordon are capable of playing SS/3B- that is not even remotely their position. Seth Heck was clearly one of our best options in the IF for last year and needed to be in the lineup.

This is what blows my mind with some of you- it's like you don't realize that offense isn't the only thing you have to consider when filling out a lineup card. You do realize that we can't just plug Cole Gordon or Brent Rooker in at SS, right? I won't defend everything Cohen did last year, but playing Seth Heck over Rooker or Gordon is a ridiculous thing to whine about.
    No shit, Captain Obvious. But Hump can play 3B, so you put him there and put Rooker or Gordon in LF. That gets you an extra bat in the lineup. Then we consistently have a midget slap hitter at DH. You put the guy not in LF at DH. That gets your best bats in the lineup. But hell, that takes a little creativity and brainpower, so I'm not surprised you can't figure it out.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    I think they got Lowe to back up 1B and be a power DH or PH from the left side. If Hump fails, they will have him. Gordon must need work defensively. Gordon in 2016 will pitch a lot. He will be another power bat from left side. After 2016, he will do more in the field. Sky's the limit for him.
    Gordon is slugging .690+ in the Great Lakes League. If that translates to the fall and the spring, it's going to be tough to keep his bat out of the line up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Yes it is. Your first comment said he won't play much next year bc butch is working with him to pitch even though he's a better hitter. If he's good he'll play now not 2-3 years from now. I was excited to watch him last year but of course that didn't happen.
    Just be patient with him. Probably 90% of players don't start as freshmen. He will be a very good player for us over the course of his career.