Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cws

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    That staff was #15 nationally in ERA. It was #17 nationally in WHIP. It was #10 nationally in K/9.

A staff doesn't have to be traditional to be elite...
    It should be easier to find 2 starters and a closer like you said earlier. That 2013 was like 6 people cobbled together. It was a pretty rare thing to have that many people pitch that well. Other than our entire pitching staff shitting the bed, last year's offense had almost no one step up in crunch time. It blew my mind how bad we were.

If we had a runner on 2nd and 3rd down 1 in the 9th with no outs, we would promptly strike out, pop up, and then hit a deep fly. It did not matter who was at the plate. We typically scored runs ok but we always seemed to never score when we needed it. It reminded me of the football team in 2001. If it could randomly go wrong it would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I agree. Our 2013 run is probably the only time you will see a pitching staff made up like that make Omaha. Butch has to develop some Stratton/Graveman pitchers. We have to get some pop in the lineup. Robson doesn't need to hit between 3-8. If I see him hitting behind Gordon hitting 4th I will lose my mind.

Cohen needs to quit trying to outsmart everyone and just play baseball.
    #TheMeddler gonna #Meddle
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Man, what a sick defensive play there by Bregman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Home runs have been up across the board the whole year. By as much as 40% at one point this season. The ball change has been discussed ad nauseam.
    Just blows my mind that everyone got the memo except us. We are still playing dead ball era baseball, while everyone else moved right into the steroid era. Why didn't we see it coming? Why did we swing so far away from a somewhat traditionally constructed team, that a change to the ball completely destroyed the team we were building? Why did our coaches view extra base hits and HRs as something not worthwhile pursuing on the recruiting trail and in player development?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Smitty likes to try to change things when he has been proven wrong.
    You actually believe that, huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Just blows my mind that everyone got the memo except us. We are still playing dead ball era baseball, while everyone else moved right into the steroid era. Why didn't we see it coming? Why did we swing so far away from a somewhat traditionally constructed team, that a change to the ball completely destroyed the team we were building? Why did our coaches view extra base hits and HRs as something not worthwhile pursuing on the recruiting trail and in player development?
    First of all this is hardly the steroid era. We "didn't see it coming" because they basically decided to change in the offseason- giving us no opportunity to adjust. For now.

Cohen built us for the era at the time and it resulted in us getting to the NC round, a regional host appearance, and two SR's. It's pretty incredible to me that any MSU fan with a brain would criticize our coach for adjusting to the era and then call him out for not adjusting when the rug was basically pulled out from under us.

I also find it hilarious that any fan really believes that Cohen doesn't want players that hit extra base hits. That's stupid on so many levels.

vCash
    Same posting style from a poster who has admitted to using multiple user names and is a known troll, baseball ignorance in the same areas of the game, etc.

Could be a coincidence- but for the sake of humanity I hope not. A simple IP address check can confirm my suspicions.

vCash
    First of all this is hardly the steroid era. We "didn't see it coming" because they basically decided to change in the offseason- giving us no opportunity to adjust. For now.

Cohen built us for the era at the time and it resulted in us getting to the NC round, a regional host appearance, and two SR's. It's pretty incredible to me that any MSU fan with a brain would criticize our coach for adjusting to the era and then call him out for not adjusting when the rug was basically pulled out from under us.

I also find it hilarious that any fan really believes that Cohen doesn't want players that hit extra base hits. That's stupid on so many levels.
    It's like some fans choose to ignore the offense Cohen coached at Florida and at Kentucky.

Banned
    vCash
    He also believes that Ross Mitchell alone prevented us from going to a Regional. What a clown.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    It's like some fans choose to ignore the offense Cohen coached at Florida and at Kentucky.
    Uh I'm pretty sure his sample size here is quite sufficient.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Uh I'm pretty sure his sample size here is quite sufficient.
    His point is Cohen can, has in the past, and been very very good at coaching a totally different type of offense that we have had in recent years. That sample size is even bigger but a lot assume that this is the only offense he knows. BThis is not a debate on our recent struggles or why or the offensive philosphy. Whether he adjusts back....we will see. The recruits suggest a change which make no mistake, as I said before I am in favor of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    If we had a runner on 2nd and 3rd down 1 in the 9th with no outs, we would promptly strike out, pop up, and then hit a deep fly. It did not matter who was at the plate. We typically scored runs ok but we always seemed to never score when we needed it.
    Just hold 7th, 8th, 9th inning leads -- and this team wins 10 more games. They were both problems -- and our clutch hitting both this year and last year pissed me off for sure -- but our disconnect I believe is what we think was the bigger problem. For me, it was pitching, and it wasn't close. When MSU scores 5 runs, we should almost never lose. This year, we were 17-11 in those games we scored 5+ in -- 11-10 without considering the early season total destruction of inferior opponents. An average Ole Miss pitching staff was 23-3 in the same situation against a much, much tougher schedule. Florida was 41-3 in the same situation. Lsu 42-3. Just win the ones we actually did hit and score fairly well in -- at an average level -- and we were back in the postseason this year as a 2-seed somewhere. Add just a shred of clutch hitting -- and we aren't far from hosting this year.

The simple reality is, he's got to get it done next year either way. This used up his get out of jail free card. One thing I found interesting upon review -- we were 3-17 in night games and 3-14 in away games. We need to practice under the lights more(a baseball "disconnect" I've never reconciled -- playing at night is far different than day games) -- and we need to hold these guys' feet to the fire in the offseason to work out the vaginitis.
    Last edited by engie; 06-19-2015 at 08:32 AM.

vCash

I think Cohen went too far trying to take advantage of the dead ball that it screwed him when he had to change. It would be like if Football declared the triple option illegal. GT would suck next year. Cohen's offense was based on scratching out a few runs a game and letting our pitching and defense win. Just score enough that it puts pressure on the other team. Very similar to the mindset Jackie Sherrill had in football. The problem hits like in 2003 when the defense is DOA so now there is no way the offense can score enough to keep up. I think with the amount of bunting we did this year really shows how much faith Cohen had in this team to score runs. It looked like he had almost no faith that we would put up more than a couple of runs at most in an inning. It may have affected the team's mindset. At the end of games when we needed a hit to drive in a tying or winning run, all of our hitters were looking to draw a walk. I can't remember what game but Gavin Collins missed a walk off homer by about 4 feet to the left. It was one of the few times I saw a hitter look to impose his will.

Cohen seems he to went too laid back and the team lost its intensity. We seem more interested in doing shit in the dugout than stretching a double into a triple.

vCash
    Just hold 7th, 8th, 9th inning leads -- and this team wins 10 more games.
    we missed Holder and testicles. We have those two things, we definitely win 10 more and maybe even win a few games in the SEC tourney.

Cohen hates doubles.***

vCash
    we need to hold these guys' feet to the fire in the offseason to work out the vaginitis.
    This is absolutely it. Put the players in a pressure cooker during off season and pre season and it will make a difference come nut cuttin time. Funny thing is, the folks that thought Cohen was too mean when he did this are the same ones bitching about him now.

vCash

Yeah our best season corresponded with renfro being one of the most productive power hitters in college baseball, rea having his best season at MSU with power, and multiple guys with gap power. Why would we go even further away from those types of guys because of the bat/ball when our best success was still having at least a few guys hitting with power? whether the problem is recruiting or development, it's on the coaches.

vCash
    Same posting style from a poster who has admitted to using multiple user names and is a known troll, baseball ignorance in the same areas of the game, etc.

Could be a coincidence- but for the sake of humanity I hope not. A simple IP address check can confirm my suspicions.
    There's no baseball ignorance here.

vCash
    Why would we go even further away from those types of guys because of the bat/ball when our best success was still having at least a few guys hitting with power? whether the problem is recruiting or development, it's on the coaches.
    Link me to us "going further away from those types of guys" please. Renfroe didn't come to MSU as an elite power hitter. But was a guy with potential. We've got a bunch of those with power potential. Just need to have the lights come on for one or two of them.

Since the first whispers of a potential ball change -- long before implementation -- here are our position player signees.
    Humphreys - power
    Rooker - power potential
    Ingram - power potential
    Collins - power
    Swinarski - power potential
    Walker - defensive walkon/filler
    Vickerson - singles guy
    Heck - singles guy/defensive signee

Vallot - power. went mlb
    Burdick - power. went mlb
    Gordon - power potential
    Holland - gap guy(struggled this year)
    Reynolds - gap guy(began to show late this year)
    Smith - gap guy
    Gridley - singles guy that can mature into a gap guy
    Lovelady - defensive guy
    Stafford - not here long enough to know
    Spruill - defensive filler

Pickett - power. went mlb
    Riley - power. went mlb
    Lowe - power
    Alexander - projects as a gap guy
    Stovall - gap guy with power potential
    Mangum - CBrown clone
    Blaylock - no clue
    Marrero - gap guy
    Poole - defensive/probably a singles guy

We've had 2 classes of bad luck in the draft with our power potential guys. Doesn't mean that we aren't actively trying to get them.

vCash

Yep. Which is why I dont buy the "built team for the dead ball". Whether the ball is dead or spun tight as dicks hat ban, you recruit guys that can hit. We missed on the recruiting. Plain and simple.

vCash
    Yeah our best season corresponded with renfro being one of the most productive power hitters in college baseball, rea having his best season at MSU with power, and multiple guys with gap power. Why would we go even further away from those types of guys because of the bat/ball when our best success was still having at least a few guys hitting with power? whether the problem is recruiting or development, it's on the coaches.
    Now to be completely fair, while it was a good offense in 2013 it was not our best. 2009 we slashed .298/.468/.398 as a team, 2010 .296/.474/.398, and 2013 it was .293/.385/.382. His first two years, as horrible as they were, offensively was better than 2013. Now again in the essence of being fair the 2013 totals while lower ranked us higher in comparison to other teams. But the 2.78 era our staff posted had a bigger influence. The year before was a 2.58 but the offense was way off but we still won 40 games with great pitching and a .251 hitting team. Last year with a 3.06 we win 39 games. Our three best era years are the three best seasons for wins under Cohen.