Thread: 2.5 Years for the blogger that filmed Cochran's wife in the nursing home. Too much?

vCash

2.5 Years for the blogger that filmed Cochran's wife in the nursing home. Too much?

Too little?

Just curious what people thought.

To me as distasteful as what he did was, the guy seems more like an idiot that is borderline mentally ill than a real threat that needs to be locked up. If he had had some sort of functional plan to profit from filming her I'd be more inclined to think jail time is appropriate, but the guy's entire plan was so delusional/idiotic that I think probation as well as everybody in the state being put on notice that he's not playing with a full deck is a sufficient remedy.

vCash
    I thought it was 5 years with parole opportunity after 2.5? Either way, I don't think he belongs in prison. We've become a prison happy society and its gross. America leads the world in incarceration. The 2 co-defendant masterminds both got off with essentially nothing which is the biggest BS. Even though I don't think Kelly deserves jail, it would sit better with me if all were jailed. It's either all or none. As a MS tax payer we all just got handed an aproximate $88k tax bill for Kelly which is a damn joke. I'm not saying stiff penalties aren't in order to teach a lesson... Intensive probation plus max fines proves the point and he learns a lesson. The mass incarceration of non violent offenders is pathetic.

vCash
    It should have been more and they all should have gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Too little?

Just curious what people thought.

To me as distasteful as what he did was, the guy seems more like an idiot that is borderline mentally ill than a real threat that needs to be locked up. If he had had some sort of functional plan to profit from filming her I'd be more inclined to think jail time is appropriate, but the guy's entire plan was so delusional/idiotic that I think probation as well as everybody in the state being put on notice that he's not playing with a full deck is a sufficient remedy.
    too much. given that the co-conspirators got next to nothing, they probably rolled and he was too dumb too, so that makes it a LITTLE more understandable. but still, you could convict me of planning out a straight up assault and i wouldn't get 2.5 years in prison. and the pic itself is journalism (as distasteful as it was), so this is really just B&E. most first offense B&E offenders don't even get jail time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    too much. given that the co-conspirators got next to nothing, they probably rolled and he was too dumb too, so that makes it a LITTLE more understandable. but still, you could convict me of planning out a straight up assault and i wouldn't get 2.5 years in prison. and the pic itself is journalism (as distasteful as it was), so this is really just B&E. most first offense B&E offenders don't even get jail time.
    The pic isn't journalism. It is a straight up crime or more exactly crimes.

vCash
    Not enough time.

vCash
    Shameful all around. What really sucks is a man's career was ruined and he took his own life. Didn't know the guy, maybe he was near the edge anyway. But sorry ass behavior by people causes major ripples and consequences, and I'm talking about both side of that political contest.

The entire ordeal is sickening.

vCash
    Poor taste, sure, but again, how long did Karen Irby serve for depraved heart murder times 2? She wasn't in any longer than 2 and a half years.

I wouldn't have sentenced him to prison, but instead have him collect and stack square bales for a few months.

vCash
    Tasteless for sure. But that's not why we put people in jail. Everybody involved were hit way too hard for daring to support a guy running against Thad Cochran.

Madison PD raided Mark Mayfield's house like he was an armed violent criminal.

The whole thing, sleazy as it was for the defendants, was way out of proportion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Tasteless for sure. But that's not why we put people in jail. Everybody involved were hit way too hard for daring to support a guy running against Thad Cochran.

Madison PD raided Mark Mayfield's house like he was an armed violent criminal.

The whole thing, sleazy as it was for the defendants, was way out of proportion.
    That was the worst thing to me. I think most of the overreaction was just because of how disgusting it seemed to people to film an infirm lady in her nursing home bed, but I think the police and prosecutors actions, stretching (to say the least) to apply a felony charge to misdemeanor actions was driven in part because of the political importance of the victim. Nobody involved with that came out looking good, the blogger, "co-conspirators", the police, or prosecutor. All of them look sleazy.