Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Preachermatt a genius -- or on a snake eyes streak? (My Apology)

vCash

Is Preachermatt a genius -- or on a snake eyes streak? (My Apology)

- basically nailed the football season. At least prior to the egg bowl. Even though everyone understood our potential level, I don't think any practically reasoning person really thought we would make it through LSU, aTm, and Auburn unscathed. He called it. And it happened.

- called the basketball season. This one seems a bit obvious in hindsight. I have to admit, I forced myself to to believe all the way until the home Bama loss we pissed away that would have put us into the NIT bubble and instead put us out of contention for the postseason(the one where they mic'd up Ray in the timeouts with "the offense will take care of itself" bs. This may have been my worst practical departure -- hoping against hope. By the time it was over, I was hoping Strick would make a move, and glad when we did. Ray deserved his chance, got it, and failed. Lost that bet. Seeing the fanbase unite under Howland in a way we honestly have not seen since 96 is something that makes me wonder about Cohen. I'm just not sure he can ever unite the fanbase in the way Howland has, regardless of his true aptitude or success level. I'll be honest -- this year sucked on every single level. But i know baseball. And hearing him talk inspires confidence in me. He's not blind to our problems. But the bottom line is that his hall pass is gone and next year will tell the tale.

- called the baseball meltdown. Thought it was the most asinine thing I had seen posted in a long time when he called it. And still doesn't make sense to me how it actually happened given obvious talent level(7x guys in the cape) and the sheer number of screw ups that had to happen to allow it to transpire. He went wayyy into left field with that one -- and ended up being correct. Speaking of which -- I realized tonight I had a bet on that which I have been failing to honor. My apologies. I'll straighten up on that front.

Reality is, I'm a non-confrontational person IRL. I rarely argue and almost always go with the flow. Heck, basically everything I do is by the secondhand Ron Polk school of never showing public emotion. It is a taught response I've never shaken, although my true personality fits more with the Cohen way. In the rare occasion that I actually do get drawn in, it goes about like you would expect given my approach to online arguments. I can generally make a compelling case even when I'm totally wrong. And the more wrong I am, or the higher potential my argument has of being wrong, depending on the approach of those I disagree with, the more I go for the jugular. It's both a positive and negative personality trait. People love it when they agree and hate it when they do not. But I'm not too proud nor too hardheaded to circle back to it and admit when I am wrong. And the truth is -- preacher has made me look like a fool this season regardless of how well I can window dress the argument. Engie(or the Reb that allegedly bought my account), out.

vCash
    What's his forecast for this coming season? I'm ready to bet with my local bookie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    - basically nailed the football season. At least prior to the egg bowl. Even though everyone understood our potential level, I don't think any practically reasoning person really thought we would make it through LSU, aTm, and Auburn unscathed. He called it. And it happened.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread...highlight=UPig

2. Miss State
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I knew we were done in baseball when we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. That told me we had major issues with leadership and a bunch of p******.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I really enjoyed reading that thread again.

Engie, you're a top hand as JP (Robert Mitchum) said about Cole Thornton (John Wayne) in El Dorado. Maybe Matt will predict 12-0 and only be off by one again.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash

- called the basketball season. This one seems a bit obvious in hindsight. I have to admit, I forced myself to to believe all the way until the home Bama loss we pissed away that would have put us into the NIT bubble and instead put us out of contention for the postseason(the one where they mic'd up Ray in the timeouts with "the offense will take care of itself" bs. This may have been my worst practical departure -- hoping against hope. By the time it was over, I was hoping Strick would make a move, and glad when we did. Ray deserved his chance, got it, and failed. Lost that bet. Seeing the fanbase unite under Howland in a way we honestly have not seen since 96 is something that makes me wonder about Cohen. I'm just not sure he can ever unite the fanbase in the way Howland has, regardless of his true aptitude or success level. I'll be honest -- this year sucked on every single level. But i know baseball. And hearing him talk inspires confidence in me. He's not blind to our problems. But the bottom line is that his hall pass is gone and next year will tell the tale.

- called the baseball meltdown. Thought it was the most asinine thing I had seen posted in a long time when he called it. And still doesn't make sense to me how it actually happened given obvious talent level(7x guys in the cape) and the sheer number of screw ups that had to happen to allow it to transpire. He went wayyy into left field with that one -- and ended up being correct. Speaking of which -- I realized tonight I had a bet on that which I have been failing to honor. My apologies. I'll straighten up on that front.

Reality is, I'm a non-confrontational person IRL. I rarely argue and almost always go with the flow. Heck, basically everything I do is by the secondhand Ron Polk school of never showing public emotion. It is a taught response I've never shaken, although my true personality fits more with the Cohen way. In the rare occasion that I actually do get drawn in, it goes about like you would expect given my approach to online arguments. I can generally make a compelling case even when I'm totally wrong. And the more wrong I am, or the higher potential my argument has of being wrong, depending on the approach of those I disagree with, the more I go for the jugular. It's both a positive and negative personality trait. People love it when they agree and hate it when they do not. But I'm not too proud nor too hardheaded to circle back to it and admit when I am wrong. And the truth is -- preacher has made me look like a fool this season regardless of how well I can window dress the argument. Engie(or the Reb that allegedly bought my account), out.
    Appreciate you admitting that but the truth is I never wanted to argue with you... I just don't like to be called an idiot for stating an opinion or making predictions. You seem like a good guy. I fully relinquish you from fulfilling your bet. You offer a lot to the board in both basketball and baseball and I would hate to not have it around. I just ask that next time I make some wild prediction out of left field that you remember this years events. Good night bro.

PReacher

vCash
    It did make for some long threads and kept us all engaged in our beliefs. in the end we are all Bulldogs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I knew we were done in baseball when we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. That told me we had major issues with leadership and a bunch of p******.
    THats when I mentally/emotionally withdrew too.

vCash
    Seeing the fanbase unite under Howland in a way we honestly have not seen since 96 is something that makes me wonder about Cohen. I'm just not sure he can ever unite the fanbase in the way Howland has, regardless of his true aptitude or success level.
    No, Ron Polk made sure of that from the get go and is something that I personally will NEVER forgive him for. Whether Cohen would have held unified support is up for debate, but there is no reason why a former player with a great resume coming back to be our HC shouldn't have been universally applauded by the fanbase except that Polk's ego was not going to allow it.

vCash
    Hate to, "toot my own horn", but I was predicting the same thing at the same time.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 06-07-2015 at 12:50 PM.

vCash
    From Beastman's "2014 Comprehensive SEC Preview" thread

preachermatt's post quoting me:
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    Sorry, I just can't believe you think our most likely ceiling is 8 wins. We have:

1. USM
    2. UAB
    3. USB
    4. UT-MArtin
    5. UK
    6. Vandy
    7. UPig

If we don't win all 7 of those, something is really wrong. And if we win 7 of those, winning just 1 more other than that would be a disgrace, IMO.

If Dan wins just 8 games this year, with the talent he has returning and the schedule set up the way it is, he should be run outta town on a rail, barring a barrage of key injuries. 8 wins should be an embarrassment this year, not a ceiling.

yes yes yes!!! 100% correct on everything!!

vCash
    And this post of mine from that same thread:

vCash
    1. USM
    2. UAB
    3. USB
    4. UT-MArtin
    5. UK
    6. Vandy
    7. UPig

Does anybody here really think we should not win all 7 of these? I'm not talking about upsets, because there's as much chance of us upsetting another team as there is of being upset. So, if you agree we should get 7 wins from the above, that leaves us with:

TAMU
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Auburn
    Alabama

Would some of y'all really be ok with losing 4 of those 5? I just can't understand that, not given what we have coming back versus what the others have coming back. I fully expect us to beat TSUN, Auburn & TAMU, and feel we have a GREAT shot at beating LSU. The only reason I don't include them in the "expect" column is the fact it is at LSU.

Now, we've gotten beat badly by Bama most years, yet we gave them a tough game last year. We will be much better this year, IMO, and they will quite likely not be quite as good. I think we've at least got a puncher's chance at Bama this year as well.

To me, we must win those 7 I first mentioned, and we really should win at least 3 of the next 5. We are going to be better than TAMU & TSUN, at least as good as Auburn, who we could (and maybe should) have beaten 4 of the past 5 games, and this year the gap is closed even more. With LSU's loss of starters the past couple of years, we quite likely could finally have a better combination of talent, experience & depth than they do. We have come close to beating them before when the talent/experience/depth gap was widely in their favor. That's not the case this year.

I just don't see how we, as fans, could be happy with anything less than 10 wins in the regular season this year. The stars are aligning, folks. It's time to shit or get off the pot in football! This is OUR STATE and OUR YEAR!!!!!

It's a damn fine day to be a Bulldog!

vCash
    Hope ya'll enjoyed it- we lost 28 starters so we are going to suck this year
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I thought it was 33 starters***

Banned
    vCash
    From Beastman's "2014 Comprehensive SEC Preview" thread

preachermatt's post quoting me:
    vCash

Sorry, I just can't believe you think our most likely ceiling is 8 wins. We have:

1. USM
    2. UAB
    3. USB
    4. UT-MArtin
    5. UK
    6. Vandy
    7. UPig

If we don't win all 7 of those, something is really wrong. And if we win 7 of those, winning just 1 more other than that would be a disgrace, IMO.

If Dan wins just 8 games this year, with the talent he has returning and the schedule set up the way it is, he should be run outta town on a rail, barring a barrage of key injuries. 8 wins should be an embarrassment this year, not a ceiling.

yes yes yes!!! 100% correct on everything!!
    And this post of mine from that same thread:

vCash
    1. USM
    2. UAB
    3. USB
    4. UT-MArtin
    5. UK
    6. Vandy
    7. UPig

Does anybody here really think we should not win all 7 of these? I'm not talking about upsets, because there's as much chance of us upsetting another team as there is of being upset. So, if you agree we should get 7 wins from the above, that leaves us with:

TAMU
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Auburn
    Alabama

Would some of y'all really be ok with losing 4 of those 5? I just can't understand that, not given what we have coming back versus what the others have coming back. I fully expect us to beat TSUN, Auburn & TAMU, and feel we have a GREAT shot at beating LSU. The only reason I don't include them in the "expect" column is the fact it is at LSU.

Now, we've gotten beat badly by Bama most years, yet we gave them a tough game last year. We will be much better this year, IMO, and they will quite likely not be quite as good. I think we've at least got a puncher's chance at Bama this year as well.

To me, we must win those 7 I first mentioned, and we really should win at least 3 of the next 5. We are going to be better than TAMU & TSUN, at least as good as Auburn, who we could (and maybe should) have beaten 4 of the past 5 games, and this year the gap is closed even more. With LSU's loss of starters the past couple of years, we quite likely could finally have a better combination of talent, experience & depth than they do. We have come close to beating them before when the talent/experience/depth gap was widely in their favor. That's not the case this year.

I just don't see how we, as fans, could be happy with anything less than 10 wins in the regular season this year. The stars are aligning, folks. It's time to shit or get off the pot in football! This is OUR STATE and OUR YEAR!!!!!

It's a damn fine day to be a Bulldog!
    Hate to, "toot my own horn", but I was predicting the same thing at the same time.
    Yea really looks like you hate to toot your own horn**

vCash
    Funny thing, I've heard the exact same thing. And from professionals that really know their stuff.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Haha +1, kinda what I was thinking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    To be fair, I didn't jump on here after it happened proclaiming my brilliance. I'm just responding to the OP with facts and backup.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 06-07-2015 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    No, Ron Polk made sure of that from the get go and is something that I personally will NEVER forgive him for. Whether Cohen would have held unified support is up for debate, but there is no reason why a former player with a great resume coming back to be our HC shouldn't have been universally applauded by the fanbase except that Polk's ego was not going to allow it.
    If Ron Polk had made it to the NC round and then had a losing season, how much of a pass would he have gotten from many of our fans? And before someone mentions Polk having a losing season one year after making it to Omaha- Polk wasn't fired. He legitimately retired and Byrne would not have fired him after one losing season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Agree with Every. Single. Word. Can't be said any better.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22