Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Pipeline Scouting Reports on Austin Riley, Gray Fenter, and Jared Padgett

vCash

MLB Pipeline Scouting Reports on Austin Riley, Gray Fenter, and Jared Padgett

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=draft

Austin Riley RHP/3B Desoto Central HS

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45
    Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 55 | Overall: 45
    Riley may not be the best two-way player available in the Draft, but he does create the most uncertainty about whether his future will come as a hitter more pitcher. Most teams preferred him on the mound before his stuff plateaued this spring, and now the Mississippi State recruit might have a brighter future as a third baseman.

A shortstop at DeSoto Central, Riley profiles very well at the hot corner with his raw power and arm strength. His 6-foot-3 frame gives him strength and bat speed, though some scouts wonder if he has the bat speed to catch up to quality fastballs. While he lacks speed and will have to watch his weight, he has soft hands and clean infield actions.

After routinely topping out at 94 mph with his fastball this summer, Riley has operated at 88-92 and dipped as low as 84 this spring. His curveball still has good depth but has lost some power as well, and he needs to do a better job of selling his changeup. A good athlete for his size, he repeats his delivery and fills the strike zone.
    Gray Fenter, RHP, West Memphis HS

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45
    Fenter could become just the second Arkansas high school pitcher selected in the top five rounds since 2005, following 2011 Indians second-rounder Dillon Howard. He's a 6-foot-1 right-hander with little projection remaining, but he has two legitimate pitches and a history of success against top competition.

Fenter can hit 96 mph with his fastball and he generates a lot of sink and groundouts when he works at 88-93. He also has good feel for spinning a curveball, giving him a second solid pitch. His fading changeup should continue to get better as he uses it more often at the next level

Though he's not projectable, Fenter has a strong frame and repeats his sound delivery well, which bodes well for throwing strikes and staying healthy. One of the oldest high school prospects in this class -- he'll be nearly 19 1/2 on Draft Day -- he has committed to Mississippi State.
    Jared Padgett, LHP, Graceville HS (FL)

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 50 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 40 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45
    A projectable lefty from Florida's Panhandle, Padgett brings a terrific breaking ball and a high ceiling to any organization that decides to draft him.

Right now, Padgett pitches with an average fastball, with below-average command of it, but there could be more in the tank to come with maturation and instruction. He can really spin his curveball and throw it for strikes more consistently than he does with his fastball, missing many bats in the process. He doesn't throw a changeup in games, a pitch he'll have to develop at the next level, whether it's in the Minor Leagues or at Mississippi State.

There's a lot to work with, and a lot of work to be done, with Padgett, with scouts thinking it's just a matter of unlocking his potential. He might be a bit of a project, but the payoff could be a big league starter in the future.
    Notable absences from MLB Pipeline's top 200:

Greg Pickett, OF, Legend HS (CO)
    Parker Ford, RHP, Lufkin HS (TX)
    Ethan Small, LHP, Lexington HS (TN)
    Elih Marrero, C, Coral Gables Senior HS (FL)
    Kale Breaux, LHP, Sulphur HS (LA)

I feel pretty good about getting all of these guys on campus.

vCash
    What's the maximum grades they can get?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    80 in each category. Scouts grade from 20-80

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Pickett is still a long shot IMO, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the other four you mentioned. I lean towards thinking we keep Padgett and lose Fenter. There are a lot of mixed signals with Riley- different people hearing different things. We'll just have to wait and see.

I feel about as good about the draft right now as I have in several months.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Also, I think a lot of people are overlooking Trysten Barlow. He'll almost certainly get to campus too. Our LHP class is just ridiculous- Barlow, Pilkington, Alex London (who I don't know much about), Breaux, Small, and Padgett. If anyone has a better collection of left handed arms in this signing class, I'd love to see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    Also, I think a lot of people are overlooking Trysten Barlow. He'll almost certainly get to campus too. Our LHP class is just ridiculous- Barlow, Pilkington, Alex London (who I don't know much about), Breaux, Small, and Padgett. If anyone has a better collection of left handed arms in this signing class, I'd love to see it.
    ...and we need them to pitch as freshmen, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    80. This article will explain the scores better than I could.

http://www.playprobaseball.com/20_80...ing_Scale.html

vCash
    Pickett is still a long shot IMO, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the other four you mentioned. I lean towards thinking we keep Padgett and lose Fenter. There are a lot of mixed signals with Riley- different people hearing different things. We'll just have to wait and see.

I feel about as good about the draft right now as I have in several months.
    I'm pretty much where you are as far as how I feel right now.

I read an article today from 2012 I think about the odds of players making it to MLB by round. First round was 66%, second was 50%, and then it dropped down significantly to something like 33% for round three and then declined from there.

Also- if a player plays college baseball, their odds increase of going to pro baseball from 5% to 10%.

If Pickett falls to the 10th round, it could get interesting.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 05-29-2015 at 12:08 AM.

vCash
    Barlow is very good and he is probably a weekend starter at some point in his career. London was committed to Alabama. He doesn't throw real hard- I think he tops out at 87, so he's around 83-85 consistently. He has a really good curveball.

vCash
    Breaux and Ford will be at MSU next year BTW. I'd put them at 99% right now. Breaux won Gatorade POY for Louisiana and Hunter Stovall won Gatorade POY for Alabama. I thought Austin Riley or Luke Alexander would win it for Mississippi, but Jason Barber who plays at Oxford and is an Ole Miss 2016 commit won it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    ...and we need them to pitch as freshmen, IMO.
    Actually we need Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Brown, and Houston to ball out in the Cape. We can build a solid pitching staff with that group- especially when you add in Levi Mintz who I really like.

Now, I do think that the freshmen are going to compete and contribute right away. I could see Fenter, Riley, Breaux, and Small competing for weekend spots- even if they are bullpen guys, I could see them having an impact.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Butch is jacking off at Riley and Fenter hitting their ceilings and their velocity dropping to or only at mid to upper 8s. That 94-96 we don't need so we can get ground balls and movement. Padgett on the other hand is a problem...hasn't hit his ceiling. May throw too hard for us eventually.

vCash
    Lose to MLB Draft: Riley (Ain't coming to school)

Makes it to campus: Fenter by the hair of our chins, Small by the hair of out chins, Pickett by the hair of out chins (Less certain on this one)

Bold Predictions: Kale Breaux becomes a freshman All-American (Too small to be an MLB prospect at this time, but easily the most advanced pitcher we've signed in 5 years), Gray Fenter becomes a 2nd round draft pick in two years, Ethan Small becomes a top 15 overall draft pick in 3 years as one of the top 2 left handed starting pitchers in the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Lose to MLB Draft: Riley (Ain't coming to school)

Makes it to campus: Fenter by the hair of our chins, Small by the hair of out chins, Pickett by the hair of out chins (Less certain on this one)

Bold Predictions: Kale Breaux becomes a freshman All-American (Too small to be an MLB prospect at this time, but easily the most advanced pitcher we've signed in 5 years), Gray Fenter becomes a 2nd round draft pick in two years, Ethan Small becomes a top 15 overall draft pick in 3 years as one of the top 2 left handed starting pitchers in the country.
    After Burdick signed last year out of the 40th round (or thereabouts) I won't feel good about anyone being here that gets drafted until they show up in August.

vCash
    So from reading that it sounds like Riley could potentially be a first baseman. So that is now Hump, Rooker, Lowe, Cole Gordon, and Riley. 5 1B on one team and probably our better hitters. Gotta start finding places to play these guys. Let's hope Riley sheds off some baby fat this summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    So from reading that it sounds like Riley could potentially be a first baseman. So that is now Hump, Rooker, Lowe, Cole Gordon, and Riley. 5 1B on one team and probably our better hitters. Gotta start finding places to play these guys. Let's hope Riley sheds off some baby fat this summer.
    Not sure what the pros would do with him but he would almost assuredly be ticketed for 3B if he comes to MSU, at least that is where he would start off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Not sure what the pros would do with him but he would almost assuredly be ticketed for 3B if he comes to MSU, at least that is where he would start off.
    Won't matter, he isn't coming to MSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    After Burdick signed last year out of the 40th round (or thereabouts) I won't feel good about anyone being here that gets drafted until they show up in August.
    I don't think we have anyone like that this year. The guys we have this year have a substantial amount of money to be gained by coming to college.

vCash
    When is the draft and how long do kids have to sign after drafted? I'm just ready for it to be over at this point