Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Home Field Advantage: Davis Wade or Vaught Hemingway?

vCash

Better Home Field Advantage: Davis Wade or Vaught Hemingway?

Sallee wrote anther article today discussing this matter & ranked MSU 12th in the SEC in "Toughest Road Game" and Ole Miss ranked 9th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...onments/page/2

I'm not really sure of the what variables Sallee used to make this list, but I think it's an interesting discussion. So here are my thoughts:

Stadium Size - MSU = 61,337 OM = 60,580 - EVEN. There is very little difference in 800 extra people in a stadium

Height - MSU has a tall stadium, OM has a short one - MSU, maybe height adds some intimidation & keeps more sound in the stadium

Endzone Seats - MSU has a horshoe & Ole Miss stadium is basically bowled with more seats in the endzone - OLE MISS. Louder for goal line situations

Field - MSU - Grass Ole Miss - Turf - EVEN, I have no idea which is tougher to play on.

General Crowd Noise - MSU was renowned last year for having a deafening stadium OM - VH isn't quiet, but I've never heard anyone brag about the instadium atmosphere - MSU

Home Record over last 5 seasons - MSU - 25-10 OM - 19-16 - MSU

All in all, I think it's fairly close, with MSU having a slight edge on home field advantage, but it's really just recent with the new stadium expansion.

What do you guys think is objectively the answer to this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    What do you guys think is objectively the answer to this?

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Home Record over last 5 seasons - MSU - 25-10 OM - 19-16 - MSU

you answered your own question

vCash
    Whoever is winning. Winning brings fans and enthusiasm.
    Looking at it strictly impartial , then I go with DWS. Shocking I know.
    Their stadium according to my daughter who went to the EB last year " is terrible"

Banned
    vCash
    Of the 2 it has to be DWS just due to the noise created by the cow bells doesn't it? VH is just a beefed up Vanderbilt stadium nothing special!

vCash
    We went undefeated at home- they didn't in 2014. Home field advantage to State
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Interesting question on the field. Turf favors faster players, but is that enough to offset the fear in the back of every player's mind that their leg might get snapped in two at any moment?

vCash
    I keep seeing this debate about Turf vs Grass and everyone saying that turf causes more injuries. But from the studies I have seen there seems to be quite a few on both sides of the debate with a lot saying there is not a difference in the injury rates with the newer artificial turfs. Is the thought process in regards to artificial turf just a bias most people have carried over from AstroTurf actually being horrendous for injury rates?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jalakin View Post
    I keep seeing this debate about Turf vs Grass and everyone saying that turf causes more injuries. But from the studies I have seen there seems to be quite a few on both sides of the debate with a lot saying there is not a difference in the injury rates with the newer artificial turfs. Is the thought process in regards to artificial turf just a bias most people have carried over from AstroTurf actually being horrendous for injury rates?
    Yes, it's a bias. When someone gets hurt on grass, most just call it "Bad luck", but when someone gets hurt on turf, everyone blames the turf.

vCash
    Last time we won in Oxford: 2010

Last time the bears won in Starkville: 2003

MSU wins in Oxford in the last 20 years: 4

Bears wins in Starkville in last 20 years: 3

vCash
    We have the crowd advantage. It's much more than 800. The second half Vaught is half empty because they're all out in the grove finishing getting hammered.

vCash
    The DL coach at Vandy said the loudest stadium they played in this year was Davis Wade.. So I can only imagine what it sounded like the AM and Aub game..
    So I think we can go ahead and say that article isn't very accurate.. What a shocker....

vCash
    I've been to 24 games at VH and I can tell you one thing for certain that makes our stadium better, at least for fan experience. We have MORE ROOM. I swear they feel like 10 inches per seat. I'm a big broad shouldered man and I've been having to "spoon" with whomever my neighbors are, shoulder over shoulder opened to the side of the field the ball is on. It sucks. Gimme Scott Field any day.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Literally nobody has ever said Vaught-Hemingway is a tough place to play

vCash
    Kellum and Brad Lott are the loudest sources of sound at VHS.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    I've been to 24 games at VH and I can tell you one thing for certain that makes our stadium better, at least for fan experience. We have MORE ROOM. I swear they feel like 10 inches per seat. I'm a big broad shouldered man and I've been having to "spoon" with whomever my neighbors are, shoulder over shoulder opened to the side of the field the ball is on. It sucks. Gimme Scott Field any day.
    This all day. They claim to have that many seats and sell a specific amount of tickets to each game but it is not anywhere near the size to comfortably hold that many people. It's just a result of their little man syndrome always wanting to one up us.

vCash
    gun to head, I'd give the advantage to MSU... slightly....

my Bammer POV...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Best seasons in modern history, playoffs on the line....MSU holds serve at home, OM loses a NIGHT GAME at home to Auburn with playoffs on the line.

Ours were DAY GAMES giving away teams (Auburn & A&M) an advantage, yet our crowds were still publicized more for day game noise than OM night game vs Auburn with playoff on the line.

This one isn't even close right now. Not even close

vCash
    Having experienced both, Vaught doesn't come close to DWS in my opinion. VH isn't very intimidating and I can't ever recall it being loud to the point where I had to yell at the guy beside me. If OM could find a way to get everyone out of the grove and into the stadium then it might be a tougher competition, but at the end of the day the grove doesn't win football games so they can keep it.

On a side note OM is supposed to renovate in a couple of years. They are supposed to bowl in the bleacher seating area

vCash

Actually, Latest Study (2014) ..

Quote Originally Posted by jalakin View Post
    Found a greater increase for ACL injury on turf in football but not in soccer ..

CONCLUSION:
    High-quality studies support an increased rate of ACL injury on synthetic playing surfaces in football, but there is no apparent increased risk in soccer. Further study is needed to clarify the reason for this apparent discrepancy.

Latest & Best info is from Penn State Center for Sports Surface Research.

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...-turf-injuries
    Last edited by BiscuitEater; 05-26-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Guys, until last year, our stadium could be Ho Hum unless the bells are ringing. Now with the end zone enclosed, it is insanely loud if we let it. We showed some of the media how loud it can get, but we will have to continue for another year, or two to break the bias of the media. We will need other teams and commentators to talk about it, so a reputation can be earned. It is up to us to make sure that DW is the house that no one wants to visit and dreads playing due to the loud and intimidating environment.

On a side note, if we finish bowling it, it will have the sound thunder like Bristol Raceway with no room for the sound to escape. The high stands with cowbells in full swing will be deafening.