Thread: Querstion?

vCash

Querstion?

How many teams on our schedule next year will be able to slow down or stop our passing attack?

With the number and quality of wide receivers we have and Dak, I don't think anybody will have an elite coverage unit that they can rely primarily to stop us (I'm assuming nobody is going to have the secondary say LSU had in the year they played Bama for the NC). They're going to have to get to the QB quickly, which provided our OLine is solid, means our passing game should be unstoppable unless the other team

(1) Has an elite pass rusher we can't handle or
    (2) Out schemes us and gets to the qb by bringing pressure from different places or less likely,
    (3) Just has a solid, top to bottom pass rush we can't handle even if there's no one elite pass rusher.

How many teams are really going to meet one of those qualifications? Obviously there are going to be multiple SEC teams that do, and we can probably count on at least one game where passing is off either because Dak is off or our timing is messed up for some reason or weather makes passing impossible, but I'm assuming that puts our floor fairly high.

Ignoring the chance of being outschemed, terrible weather, and us just stopping ourselves with stupid mistakes, it seems like 4 OOC plus UK should be unable to stop our pass. I'm assuming Arkansas can't (didn't they lose their good DE to the draft?) but of course they do ball control so well and weather in Fayetville in November could be tough.

A&M has an elite DE that will be a true sophomore, correct? I'm assuming Bama and UM will qualify for (1) or (3).

I would normally guess LSU would but just don't know. No clue about Auburn and Mizzou.

So are there 6 teams we shoudl roll up passing yards on as long as we show up with a solid game plan? 9? Somewhere inbetween?

vCash
    That question is impossible to answer until we see how good our offensive line is.

vCash
    The only person that can stop Dak is Dak. We've seen that for 2 years now. Some elite defenses might be able to sell out to take away a dimension -- but he can just torch them with the other dimension.

vCash
    I don't have any worries about our OL. Gonna be a physical group. We've had 1 bad OL under Hev and that was 2011. We had zero depth and then a rash of injuries to begin the season.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Of course when the players make plays and you win the games the coach comes out looking like a genius. But I swear, Dan was calling some great games early in the season. LSU, aTm and Auburn - the game plan and calls were a thing of beauty.

Using a good mix of run and pass helps your QB and your O-line. Most opponents will stack the box and try to make us one-dimensional. We'll need to hit a couple pass plays to loosen things up and then call a a good mix to keep them off balance.

I'm guessing Mizzou, Arky, Bama, LSU and UM will be the toughest challenges for our offense.

vCash
    SEC defenses are going to try to shut his running game down and beg him to throw it. That's what OM did last year. If he's able to run it on them anyway they're in trouble. If he's able to throw it on them they're in trouble. If they can stop the run and he can't throw it effectively, we're in trouble. That's what this whole season boils down to, boys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
    SEC defenses are going to try to shut his running game down and beg him to throw it. That's what OM did last year. If he's able to run it on them anyway they're in trouble. If he's able to throw it on them they're in trouble. If they can stop the run and he can't throw it effectively, we're in trouble. That's what this whole season boils down to, boys.
    I feel pretty good then. I think there are only 2-3 defenses on our schedule, at most, who can limit what we do in any meaningful way. I expect our offense to torch most teams. Even if a team has an elite pass rusher, if that's all they have, it's not that difficult for an offense like ours to simply run plays away from them.

If our defense is simply solid, we will win a lot of games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    Of course when the players make plays and you win the games the coach comes out looking like a genius. But I swear, Dan was calling some great games early in the season. LSU, aTm and Auburn - the game plan and calls were a thing of beauty.

Using a good mix of run and pass helps your QB and your O-line. Most opponents will stack the box and try to make us one-dimensional. We'll need to hit a couple pass plays to loosen things up and then call a a good mix to keep them off balance.

I'm guessing Mizzou, Arky, Bama, LSU and UM will be the toughest challenges for our offense.
    Best play call last year: 3rd down and long against LSU, on the drive after the big fumble return that got them back into it, we threw a throwback screen to Derunnya. It was a thing of beauty and well-executed, but i don't think we ever saw it again. 3 plays later Dak had the big run