Thread: Game Of Thrones

vCash

Game Of Thrones

What did you think of the Season 3 premier?

I thought it was not a lot of drama, just a refresher of characters. Had some good character development between Tyrion Lannister and his dad, Tywin. Pops laid down the smack. Wow. Tywin is an idiot. Tyrion is valuable, but pops doesn't see it.

BTW, I like keeping up with the show with a little help from http://www.ign.com/wikis/game-of-thrones That site is well-organized. I usually go there to look up characters so I can remember who is tied to who, related to who, banging who, etc.

vCash
    As a reader of the books there wasn't much to it. A whole lot of character refresh, but man even if you don't like the direction the screen-writers are going you have to admire the eye candy that is thrown out on a regular basis. I'd watch just for ygritte and deanerys.

I hate how they ended season two with a parade of white walkers on the march with the Renardo Sidney of Horn Hill hiding behind a rock, and then had this season start with him running through the snow. It was kind of lame. I assume that resolution is what took place in the form of "black screen with audio of some fighting we've got to cut something due to budget" but still, come on guys.

vCash

I don't like what they did with that scene at all

In the books, it's one of the most crucial Sam sequences - everything important about it was taken out.

vCash
    They seem to be moving really quickly aGAIN. Makes me wonder how much of book 3 they intend to cover this season. Tywin is absolutely a damn fool. If you've read the books, you know that it's going to bite him in the ass, hard.

Some of the minor changes kinda aggravated me. Petyr directly approaching Sansa about getting her out of King's Landing and Jorah Mormont immediately recognizing Barristan Selmy & revealing his identity to Dany are the two biggest. It's going to gut some of the crucial scheming that happens later.

And Wuthering is right about the eye candy. Ygritte & Dany are pure heat. And the redheaded whore that Bronn is ****ing in the opening is absolute smoke. Too bad we'll probably never see her aGAIN.

vCash

Sansa is 17 now...

when can we start admitting that she's growing into a smoke show?

vCash
    Sansa is definitely growing into a smoke show. One of the first things I noticed in that sequence. Still, I feel a little creepy noticing a 17-year-old being hot. And I'm not even 30.

vCash
    The legal concent age in Westeros is clearly 12.

vCash

Well the legal age of consent in MS is 16

So no need to feel too bad.

vCash
    I've read the entire series on book and I realize that cramming it into a tv show is pretty impossible, however I'll try to list a few irritations as spoiler-free as possible.

Agree with you on the realizing who Selmy was so quickly. Also....NO STRONG BELWAS? Dany's whole story (starting last season) has always confused me with what the writers are thinking.

The Petyr approaching Sansa bit robs us of the surprise later.

Unless it's coming later, I don't see how they could could omit such a big part of Sam's story against the white walkers.

not sure why they changed up Jon Snow's reason for joining the wildlings.

Didn't mind the Davos change to confront the Red Woman.

That being said, Storm of Swords was my favorite book so they have a lot to cover even in two seasons. It can't help but make the episodes feel like they are jumping all over the place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin&Bash-dawg View Post
    I've read the entire series on book and I realize that cramming it into a tv show is pretty impossible, however I'll try to list a few irritations as spoiler-free as possible.

Agree with you on the realizing who Selmy was so quickly. Also....NO STRONG BELWAS? Dany's whole story (starting last season) has always confused me with what the writers are thinking.

The Petyr approaching Sansa bit robs us of the surprise later.

Unless it's coming later, I don't see how they could could omit such a big part of Sam's story against the white walkers.

not sure why they changed up Jon Snow's reason for joining the wildlings.

Didn't mind the Davos change to confront the Red Woman.

That being said, Storm of Swords was my favorite book so they have a lot to cover even in two seasons. It can't help but make the episodes feel like they are jumping all over the place.
    I still need to read A Dance with Dragons, but I'll chime in on the stuff you mentioned.

After reading, I think they changed the Selmy thing simply because of the problems of converting books to TV. It's not *entirely* crucial, but it does take away a bit of Selmy's purpose in tracking down Dany. I would assume Strong Belwas will be added at a point later in the season. He's badass and a fairly important part of Dany's bodyguards. Definitely agree the writers treatment of Dany's part of the story is confusing at best. But I'd say it's just been downright bad.

They are definitely robbing us of the surprise with Petyr and Sansa. Plus, the surprise is so damn crucial in revealing who Petyr truly is. And it will probably force some changes to Sansa's personality more quickly, too.

Sam's story is being ENTIRELY gutted, unless they're coming back to it later. This has the potential to be a bigger debacle than the handling of Dany's story. But honestly, I think where Sam really turns the corner is after his second trip to Craster's Keep.

I don't think changing Jon's reason for joining the wildlings is that big a deal. Honestly, it's a little more believable than "I'm a bastard and everyone laughs at me." It ultimately won't change his story arc.

Also with you about Davos. It won't change much. He'll still be a big time player for Stannis.

I have no clue where they're going with Robb visiting Harrenhal. That's a MAJOR deviation from the story.

There's definitely still a ton to cover. We haven't seen Arya, Brienne, Catelyn, Jaime, etc. yet. I'm assuming their arcs will be covered in episode 2 this Sunday. But you're right about it feeling like they are jumping all over the place. I'm just hoping they haven't screwed up anything that can't be fixed with Dany & Sam.
    Last edited by War Machine Dawg; 04-05-2013 at 02:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I have no clue where they're going with Jon visiting Harrenhal. That's a MAJOR deviation from the story.
    Huh?

vCash
    D'oh! My bad, tenure. I was thinking Robb & typed Jon. It's been fixed.

vCash
    If we're talking about eye candy, Marjorie has to be mentioned.

I've been blowing through the series on hbogo. Up to the third season premiere now.

vCash
    As of last episode, seems that they're more or less just drawing out Sam's story, but they're still messing with it too much.

Everything F&B said is true, and I have one more gripe to add: Theon. It's sort of a Selmy-type situation, where the translation to TV is not going to allow for the surprise to be quite as effective regardless, but taking away all shock value out of his story/transition sucks - he shouldn't even be in this season at all.
    Last edited by Hump4Hoops; 04-11-2013 at 03:54 PM.

vCash
    Marjorie is definitely a smoke show. I still need to watch last Sunday's episode.