Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd base 2016

vCash

3rd base 2016

Any idea who will hold down the corner for us next year? No spruill or Reynolds. Riley may go pro. Thoughts?

vCash
    Reynolds if Riley goes pro. I'm not sure why you are saying that Spruill and Reynolds won't be back?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Reynolds if Riley goes pro. I'm not sure why you are saying that Spruill and Reynolds won't be back?
    If Spruill is our best option at 3B, we may as well not tune in next year either.

vCash
    If we don't get Riley and Hump isn't our starting 3B next season, I may have an aneurysm. If Spruill or Reynolds start, we'll be talking about who our next coach will be this time next year.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Banned
    vCash
    Remember kids, Spruill was an opening day starter for us.
    Rooker was an opening day cleanup hitter.
    Michael Smith opening day starter.

Cody Brown and Vick off the bench.

For shits and giggles Spruill was our SEC opener CLEANUP guy!

What does this say about our evaluative skills.
    Last edited by Smitty; 05-07-2015 at 11:34 PM.

vCash
    Hump needs to play 1B next year
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Good chance Spruill is one of the 6-8 processed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Good chance Spruill is one of the 6-8 processed.
    Good chance, yes but it also depends on what we actually get after the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    If we don't get Riley and Hump isn't our starting 3B next season, I may have an aneurysm. If Spruill or Reynolds start, we'll be talking about who our next coach will be this time next year.
    Humphreys would probably be a worse defensive option than Heck unless he improves a LOT. There is a reason he is trying to play the OF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Remember kids, Spruill (JUCO) was an opening day starter for us.
    Rooker (Freshman) was an opening day cleanup hitter.
    Michael Smith (JUCO) opening day starter.

Cody Brown and Vick (JUCO) off the bench.

For shits and giggles Spruill (See above- JUCO) was our SEC opener CLEANUP guy!

To me, this says you are a troll.

And that we should stop recruiting so many JUCOs.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 05-08-2015 at 12:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    If Spruill is our best option at 3B, we may as well not tune in next year either.
    If Reynolds is back as I fully expect him to be and Riley goes pro, I am 95% sure that Reynolds will start over Spruill.

Luke has hit the ball very well lately. At first, he was the guy on the little league team that always went up to the plate trying to walk but never did much outside of that. Now he has been tearing it up- sucks that his ankle is hurt. Might have been the difference tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Hump needs to play 1B next year
    Humphreys is a poor mans Jacoby Jones. He's athletic, and was a big shot in high school. Gets to college and shows some flashes, but also royally ****s up from time to time and generally disappoints because he never provides what is expected.

I agree about Humphreys possibly playing first base- which is part of the reason why I am trying to get people to pump the brakes on Nate Lowe even though he is hitting well in JUCO. Nate Lowe may turn out to be awesome- but he's going to have to earn the job. As is Humphreys for that matter. Although the difference is Humphreys will be guaranteed to be in the lineup in some form or fashion.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 05-08-2015 at 12:38 AM.

vCash
    Remember kids, Spruill was an opening day starter for us.
    Rooker was an opening day cleanup hitter.
    Michael Smith opening day starter.

Cody Brown and Vick off the bench.

For shits and giggles Spruill was our SEC opener CLEANUP guy!

I really wonder what the hell our coaches do in fall ball. It sure as hell isn't figure out who the best 9 are. Most of the projected lineups we make out here wind up being closer to out lineup at the end of the season than the one that Cohen puts out during non-con and the first week of SEC play. It sucks when fans can pick a better starting 9 without ever paying attention to practice than our staff who supposedly has a wealth of baseball knowledge.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    In regards to Reynolds, the reason he is hitting so well lately is that he is forcing the coaches to play him. Cohen and co have been messing with his swing trying get him to change how he has always hit. He got his shot later this season and said screw it and went back to his old swing; you saw the outcome over the last few weeks. Ripping the cover off the ball.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    In regards to Reynolds, the reason he is hitting so well lately is that he is forcing the coaches to play him. Cohen and co have been messing with his swing trying get him to change how he has always hit. He got his shot later this season and said screw it and went back to his old swing; you saw the outcome over the last few weeks. Ripping the cover off the ball.
    This is what many of us mean when we say Cohen will never "get it"... Talent alone will not get it done because we will screw them up

vCash
    I don't think we'll have a complete (fielding and hitting) 3b. After all, we haven't fielded one under Cohen in years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post

I have heard this as well

vCash
    This is what many of us mean when we say Cohen will never "get it"... Talent alone will not get it done because we will screw them up
    Look, I'm not big on some of Cohen's teaching or drills, although fundamentally he is fine, methodology is different between coaches. As it should be. But your blanket statements are not correct either. There are too many guys who have gotten better under him to say stuff like that. Even Connor Powers credits him for understanding the swing better and improving him as a hitter. Kevin Long has said he has guys he works with don't excell under him but might with someone else. Has had guys revert to older swings. Sometimes it the players over thinking things. Until you actually study his fundamentals and his methodology how do you know? You don't, but you select certain players to make your point, leaving off the other players who have gotten better. And I'm talking about his career not the last year or two. You really need to study what he is teaching to evaluate him. The results have not been good overall the last two years but we don't know where some of these players are at in the system. Do I think there are things that are an issue? Sure. All coaches should evaluate what others are doing and what they are teaching themselves. Heck, I'm not a linear guy at all (old philosophy) but there are things to take away from that. I still use a thought from Lau even though his overall philosphy I disagree with. But he has a much much better track record than given credit for in developing hitters. I do think he as overthought things recently but you don't take a Refroe and Pirtle (hit .222 his last year at JUCO) and develop and/or correct their issues and not know what you are doing and have the player accept the teaching and do the work (the other part we don't know if we are not in the program).
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 05-08-2015 at 07:54 AM.

vCash
    Was hoping we DH Reynolds and that Cohen sends Spruill a bus ticket to Virginia like Bear Bryant did in Junction Boys, Todd. I have no inside info just a thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If Reynolds is back as I fully expect him to be and Riley goes pro, I am 95% sure that Reynolds will start over Spruill.

Luke has hit the ball very well lately. At first, he was the guy on the little league team that always went up to the plate trying to walk but never did much outside of that. Now he has been tearing it up- sucks that his ankle is hurt. Might have been the difference tonight.
    At this stage of their careers, Reynolds is a better hitter than hump. His approach is better. Hump is very long to the baseball. Now hump has more upside and more power, no doubt.