Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should we run a nickle defense as our base defense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Not sure why everyone seems convinced Jackson is a liability. Yeah, when he was subbed directly into Wells' spot with zero scheme changes and given the same responsibilities last year, of course he got burned in coverage. Not many players in college football wouldn't get abused in some way when inserted into that scenario. Jackson isn't All-SEC or anything, but put him at the weak side in an actual 4-3 instead of a highly specialized role not designed for him in last year's defense, which was actually more like a 4-2-5 in many respects, and he'll be just fine.
    He repeatedly got torched last year but I was willing to give him another shot. Then he got burned in the spring game by Gus Walley for a touchdown and I officially cut him off. JT Gray has to be the starter at that position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Rehab is going well but we won't have a real indication until August & fall camp rolls around.
    Im not expecting a whole lot. Jay wasn't full speed from his achilles until a few games into the season in my opinion and his injury was in August/September. Kendrick's was in late November.

Ive always been told Achilles take a full 9 months to recover from and then another 3 months to really get back up to speed. There are few injuries worse for a high caliber athlete to incur. Just hate it for the kid, because he has put it all on the line for MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Where'sWaldo View Post
    He repeatedly got torched last year but I was willing to give him another shot. Then he got burned in the spring game by Gus Walley for a touchdown and I officially cut him off. JT Gray has to be the starter at that position.
    In his defense there, Walley is a tough matchup for a linebacker. I do agree with you that Gray should start over him though.

vCash
    ON PLAYING WITH 14 ON DEFENSE
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    yes. I'm glad someone picked up on that....
    TUSK: You forget that only you guys can get away with that without it being called.**?

vCash
    Hell no. Nickel D gets murdered against the run. And teams still run the ball to be successful in college football generally, but particularly in the SEC and the SECW. Think about it: The traditional 3 "big boys" in the West are Bama, LSU, Auburn. They are ALL power running teams. UPig is also a power running team. Only TSUN and aTm in the West would be finesse, pass-first teams. Load up against the run and force teams to beat us throwing. If anything, I'd start JT Gray over Jackson. He's the next Matt Wells, imo. But I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us load up with the Browns and Gerri/Dez against Bama, LSU, Auburn, and UPig. Go heavy and sell out to stop the run.

I also agree with those who are talking up Kivon Coman. I've been big on him since last fall. Yeah, he got burned some. Nature of the beast. But he looked really good for a freshman and made some big plays coming down the stretch. He's definitely more of a run support S than a pass coverage S, but that's easy to scheme around and true for most SS types in today's game.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Im not expecting a whole lot. Jay wasn't full speed from his achilles until a few games into the season in my opinion and his injury was in August/September. Kendrick's was in late November.

Ive always been told Achilles take a full 9 months to recover from and then another 3 months to really get back up to speed. There are few injuries worse for a high caliber athlete to incur. Just hate it for the kid, because he has put it all on the line for MSU.
    I said it about Hughes, so I gotta say it about My Dawg Market: He won't be the same player when he returns. Achilles' tears are one of those injuries modern medicine still hasn't been able to develop a successful rehab for the way it has ACL tears. It's not a career ender per se, but most guys come back at least a step slower and sometimes more. One of my good buddies is a doctor and he tells me it's basically a blood flow issue with the Achilles'. I hate it for Market, because he played his guts out for us and bleeds maroon the way I do. You can't grow up as a State fan in Batesville and be any other way. I speak from personal experience. Nothing would make me happier than for Market to prove me wrong and be one of the few freaks capable of coming all the way back from an Achilles' injury.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    ON PLAYING WITH 14 ON DEFENSE

TUSK: You forget that only you guys can get away with that without it being called.**?
    Off topic- that reminds me of the time Tennessee accidentally did that against LSU on a goal line stand and I thought the game was over- and then they stopped rolling the credits.

vCash

Get the heck out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    And Diaz might have to adjust at half time. I think we have the talent to run multiple defense with different packages.
    I thought adjustments at halftime were against the rules. What a new world we are entering here.