Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we run a nickle defense as our base defense?

vCash

Should we run a nickle defense as our base defense?

A lot of NFL teams are doing this because of all of passing and the spread. I think that if we start Zach Jackson, he will be a huge liability for us.

I'm thinking:

DE- AJ
    DT- Nick James
    DT- Chris Jones
    DE- Ryan Brown
    LB- Beniquez Brown
    LB- Richie Brown
    Nickle- Cedric Jiles
    S- Peters
    S- Market hopefully
    CB- Redmond
    CB- Calhoun

I think that Traver Jung is a huge wild card. I like his film, but I'm not sure if he will be able to learn enough to climb up the depth chart. I'm also liking JT Gray- and I think Gray should start against teams like Alabama and LSU that are more traditional offenses.

vCash
    No. That lineup would be crushed against the run.

vCash
    No. Just start someone better than Zach Jackson.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    No & Kivon Coman will start & be our best safety.

vCash
    In third down packages, sure. Not sure about as our base defense. You give up run stopping ability in favor of more speed on the field. When we had wells as will linebacker it was like having a third safety in the game anyway. Zach jackson and jt gray are similar type players as wells in that they are undersized backers who can run.

vCash
    I liked Coman in the spring game. thought he got the ball quick and made plays.

that lineup could be pretty solid on 3rd & 5+.

vCash
    There will be a lot of different looks our defense throws at teams this year.. It doesn't matter who will play in Wells spot this year it will be downgrade... Not saying Jung, Gray, Jackson Ect. Aren't going to make plays or play bad but Wells was very good.
    Best thing is Diaz >>>>>> Collins

Banned
    vCash
    I am a huge fan of the nickel D. I think it gives your defense more flexibility to be creative and with zone mixed in with blitzing from any position. It's a faster more confusing more aggressive style D that can go from a 2-4-5 to a 3-3-5 to a 4-2-5 look. Billion different blitz possibilities with that type of freedom. It confuses the QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I liked Coman in the spring game. thought he got the ball quick and made plays.

that lineup could be pretty solid on 3rd & 5+.
    Or against a pass heavy team like Texas A&M. We could certainly bring in a more traditional LB against LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    No & Kivon Coman will start & be our best safety.
    How is Market coming along?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    How is Market coming along?
    Rehab is going well but we won't have a real indication until August & fall camp rolls around.

vCash

I can't speak for all the SEC offenses, however....

for Bammer I would recommend this:

1. foremost, you'll need a 4 or 5 man front to stop what My Dark Lord likes most... the run... as Coach34 says, "RTGDF!"... if you question Bama's run game, please skip the remaining points and tune back in to SEC softball.

2. next, you're gonna want to put a spy on the QB... while he won't be a RB like Sims was, Coker is very mobile, and can run well, and throw MUCH better...

3. in the secondary, I'd run a cover 3 with press man coverage and corner blitzes on most downs... also, keep an extra guy back in case we have to kick a late game FG for the win

4. don't get in a Punting game with us.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Against auburn, a&m, ole miss, you have to be in the nickel mostly anyways.

i would be okay with it if we can be multiple out of it and our front is nasty enough to handle the run game

vCash
    Not sure why everyone seems convinced Jackson is a liability. Yeah, when he was subbed directly into Wells' spot with zero scheme changes and given the same responsibilities last year, of course he got burned in coverage. Not many players in college football wouldn't get abused in some way when inserted into that scenario. Jackson isn't All-SEC or anything, but put him at the weak side in an actual 4-3 instead of a highly specialized role not designed for him in last year's defense, which was actually more like a 4-2-5 in many respects, and he'll be just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    ... also, keep an extra guy back in case we have to kick a late game FG for the win
    I got a good laugh out of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    for Bammer I would recommend this:

1. foremost, you'll need a 4 or 5 man front to stop what My Dark Lord likes most... the run... as Coach34 says, "RTGDF!"... if you question Bama's run game, please skip the remaining points and tune back in to SEC softball.

2. next, you're gonna want to put a spy on the QB... while he won't be a RB like Sims was, Coker is very mobile, and can run well, and throw MUCH better...

3. in the secondary, I'd run a cover 3 with press man coverage and corner blitzes on most downs... also, keep an extra guy back in case we have to kick a late game FG for the win

4. don't get in a Punting game with us.
    So.....run a cover 3, w press man and corner blitzes???? How many defenders do we get to play with? 14?

vCash
    We shouldn't just assume that Wells' spot will be used in the same way. He gave us the ability to cover the slot with a 4-3 look, but we might not attempt to do that anymore without his skill set.

vCash
    If we are playing A&M, Ole Missus, or Auburn I would- but otherwise no.

Peters wont be starting until late Oct or early November- if at all

Against and LSU or Bammer- I'd play Green and Brown Brothers as my 3 LB's on run downs
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    So.....run a cover 3, w press man and corner blitzes???? How many defenders do we get to play with? 14?
    yes.

I'm glad someone picked up on that....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    How about trusting Diaz to run a defense based on the team we are playing. can't run the same defense against The Hogs as you do against Auburn. And Diaz might have to adjust at half time. I think we have the talent to run multiple defense with different packages.