Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alot of our baseball fans need to realize its not 1995 anymore

vCash

Alot of our baseball fans need to realize its not 1995 anymore

2 for 16. Thats how many CWS appearances Miss State has in the last 16 years. 2. Two. Dos.

I keep seeing our fans saying we are a top 10 program- and it's simply not true anymore. The 1990's ended and so did our standing as a top tier baseball school. The lack of scholarships available hurts both us and Mississippi. Bunko has made them very relevant finally and they still only have 1 CWS appearance. It's harder to win at Miss State now in baseball than it is at half the other SEC schools.

We have had losing SEC records in 8 of the last 16 years. That's not a top 10 baseball school.
    We have no NC in our history- thats not a top 10 baseball school
    We only have 7 CWS appearances the last 35 years- thats not a top 10 baseball school.

All this talk of firing Cohen for 1 down season after a really good 3 year run is ridiculous. College baseball has evolved alot since the 1990's and we havent quite recovered yet.

Should we strive to be there? Absolutely
    Is our fan support top 10? Absolutely
    Are our facilities top 10? No- but will be in 2 years

Some of ya'll need a dose of reality
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    2 for 16. Thats how many CWS appearances Miss State has in the last 16 years. 2. Two. Dos.

I keep seeing our fans saying we are a top 10 program- and it's simply not true anymore. The 1990's ended and so did our standing as a top tier baseball school. The lack of scholarships available hurts both us and Mississippi. Bunko has made them very relevant finally and they still only have 1 CWS appearance. It's harder to win at Miss State now in baseball than it is at half the other SEC schools.

We have had losing SEC records in 8 of the last 16 years. That's not a top 10 baseball school.
    We only have 7 CWS appearances the last 35 years- thats not a top 10 baseball school.

All this talk of firing Cohen for 1 down season after a really good 3 year run is ridiculous. College baseball has evolved alot since the 1990's and we havent quite recovered yet.

Well said, Coach.

Banned
    vCash

I don't enjoy watching Cohen's style of baseball, his philosophy and what he demands his players do in the batters box. No doubt we'll suck next year and it'll be Cohen's last.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I don't enjoy watching Cohen's style of baseball, his philosophy and what he demands his players do in the batters box. No doubt we'll suck next year and it'll be Cohen's last.
    Wanna bet?

vCash

Spot on.

vCash

I don't disagree totally. Especially with the fact that it's harder for mississippi schools to win in baseball than la, tenn, ga, and tex (lotteries and scholarship programs). But, you can also say we've been to two, 2, dos, cws in last 8 years, as opposed to 16 years, and four in last 17 years. We are still a top 15-20 program.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Wanna bet?
    You gonna get the stubborn bastard to change his beliefs?

vCash
    Nope. But I'll take the bet that next year will not be his last, unless he chooses for it to be. We will also not suck next year, and by that I mean we will make a regional.

vCash
    When he was at UK they played in a banbox and he coached that way. His "belief" is/was based on the bats, balls, home stadium, and CWS stadium.

vCash
    I don't think we're a top 10 program, and I don't want to fire Cohen, but I do think we SHOULD be a Top 15-20 program and we SHOULD not have so many years of sub .500 SEC baseball. To put it simply, with our facilities (& soon to be facilities), our fan support, our history, our recruiting ability, and our dedication to baseball....we should be getting more out of our baseball program on a year in/year out basis. Yes, we have the CWS run in 13, and a few Regional appearances, but we should be in the hosting discussion way more than we are and have been over the last 10-15+ years IMO.

I get the scholly issues, and I know that's tough...but it's not insurmountable. And if it is, we either need to put all resources towards fighting it, or quit pumping money into a losing battle.

vCash
    Hearing some MSU fans talk about our baseball program is similar to hearing OM talk about their football program. Both are based on ancient history. 1985 was 30 years ago! I loved it then but it is history.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Hearing some MSU fans talk about our baseball program is similar to hearing OM talk about their football program. Both are based on ancient history. 1985 was 30 years ago! I loved it then but it is history.
    Our baseball program the last twenty years had been far superior to their football program the last twenty years.

vCash
    I think most of the people who actually believe we are a top 10 program are really just general MSU fans who can easily overlook the SEC mediocrity amidst the shininess of the occasional post-season hot streak, the history of the program, and the attention that DNF gets.

Most true MSU baseball fans can see we aren't one of the big boys anymore. Getting pounded by LSU and UM every year should be a good indication. I've hated Cohen's style since he got here. It's quite boring to watch, and I have been to many games. But, when he started winning, I was able to deal with it, though I still didn't like it. The game took a big turn this year, and we were behind the curve.

Can Cohen adjust? Yes
    Will he? I have doubts

He said after Thursday's game that he might not ever forget that one. Well, I hope that is just what he needs to make the right changes going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Our baseball program the last twenty years had been far superior to their football program the last twenty years.
    True, but our fans still talk about our baseball "tradition" like we've got multiple natty's and a bunch of recent nation seeds.

vCash
    I agree with C34 that our fan base need to lose their illusions of grandeur. But I also agree with Dawg61 that Cohen's hitting philosophy is an unsuccessful one, and is boring as hell to watch. I don't understand the logic in saying that because we have a big park we should recruit small guys that can slap the ball around the field and run.

vCash
    I consider our fan support, post season appearances, and commitment to baseball to also be a part of "history" and "tradition". Not just Titles.

vCash
    Yep. All that.....also, the baseball program has the same Achilles heel that the other MSU athletics programs have.... Recruiting talent from the smallest population base in the southeast to compete in the premier conference in all the land.

vCash
    No, we aren't Top 10 and its much harder to win at MSU now than it was in the Polk I era. And we weren't really even nationally elite even in Polk's day at least not anything like a Miami, Texas, Southern Cal, CS-Fullerton etc. were back in the day. Or even like LSU or South Carolina have been more recently. We averaged a CWS about every 5 years back in the day and rarely won more than one game once we got there. I agree that a lot of MSU fans believe that since we have Top 10 fan support in the nation we should get a Top 10 baseball program, but it hasn't worked that way.

vCash
    I'm not saying Cohen is the greatest or shouldn't be criticized- and should be a little on the hotseat. But after 4 straight NCAA's and a NC appearance- he gets a little rope to turn it around. Whether you think he will or not is irrelevant- he deserves another season
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'm not saying Cohen is the greatest or shouldn't be criticized- and should be a little on the hotseat. But after 4 straight NCAA's and a NC appearance- he gets a little rope to turn it around. Whether you think he will or not is irrelevant- he deserves another season
    Absolutely.