Thread: Is Malik Newman the biggest MSU commitment ever?

vCash

Is Malik Newman the biggest MSU commitment ever?

Have we ever received a bigger commitment at the time of the commitment? Has there ever been a guy this highly rated to commit to us in any sport that will garner this much media attention and be practically guaranteed to go pro at the earliest possible time?

vCash
    Jonathan Bender

vCash
    Montae Ellis

vCash
    Travis Outlaw

vCash
    Well Chris Jones ended up as the #2 player ranking in football at least by 247. Not sure Malik is quite that high but one basketball recruit makes a much bigger impact than one football recruit. Sidney, Outlaw, Bender and Ellis would be the other highest 4 basketball recruits we've ever gotten committed (believe they were all McD AAs) but I don't know exactly who ranked where.

vCash

Ricky Brown back in the seventies

Was the number one bb player in the nation. No internet back then but got lots of publicity from sports illustrated

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Considering the amount of hype & presence he's had instate the last 4-5yrs plus him actually making it to campus I'd say yes he is the biggest.

vCash
    At the time of the commitment? Probably. Bender was huge and got us tons of attention in the McD AA game but wasn't as big when he committed.

Ellis was huge and rated slightly ahead of where Newman ended up, but Newman was a consensus #1 overall for a while and likely has more of the spotlight than Ellis did.

Chris Jones was a literal no-name when he committed, though he got us tons of attention by the end.

Will it turn out to be the biggest in results? Obviously we'll see, but it'll be tough. As of now, I would say Dak is the biggest ever in hindsight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well Chris Jones ended up as the #2 player ranking in football at least by 247. Not sure Malik is quite that high but one basketball recruit makes a much bigger impact than one football recruit. Sidney, Outlaw, Bender and Ellis would be the other highest 4 basketball recruits we've ever gotten committed (believe they were all McD AAs) but I don't know exactly who ranked where.
    Speaking of, Hotatio and Chris Jones voices sound the same

vCash
    Mario Austin was actually rated slightly higher than Outlaw. In terms of where they finished in the rankings, it would go:

1. Ellis (top 2-3)
    2. Newman/Bender (both around 5, though Bender shot up while Newman slid)
    4. Sidney (was #1 for about 2 years, finished around 6-8)
    5. Austin (9 or 10)
    6. Outlaw (just outside the top 10)

vCash
    I would say how it's turned out Dak's pretty huge
    But I know what u mean

vCash
    Vandale Thomas

Actually got the ball rolling for us. Was a huge commit at the time and landed us Erick Dampier a year later.

vCash
    Off topic, but anyone else get the feeling that Malik and Courtney Cronin might have a lil somethin somethin going on?

Banned
    vCash
    I would say Monta then Bender, but neither made it to campus. So I will go with Whit Hughes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDawg92 View Post
    Off topic, but anyone else get the feeling that Malik and Courtney Cronin might have a lil somethin somethin going on?
    Awesome. We need an in with the media.

vCash
    I say we are splitting hairs between Ellis and Newman. Once your a top 5 guy there really isn't much space. Newman slid due to the allstar game. He was #1 for like 1.5 years. Dude is good, period. He will be on campus and will ball out. Excitement through the roof.

Football is a different animal. The biggest recruit will be the entire team that wins us a SEC title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan61 View Post
    Vandale Thomas

Actually got the ball rolling for us. Was a huge commit at the time and landed us Erick Dampier a year later.
    Richard told me that he was a over hyped from day one.

vCash
    I think Newman is only the 3rd McDonalds AA to end up on campus . The other two were Mario Austin and Renardo Sidney

vCash
    Ricky Brown would have been bigger than Newman in this day and time. That was a big deal and it took some serious "heppin" to get it done.