Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1419

Thread: Braves

vCash
    Don't know if I like the trade yet either but there is no way we get Seagar or Puig for what we gave up. You would have to throw in Simmons or Miller instead of Wood might have been enough. But you are over valuing our guys. As much as I like Woods and Pereza they are not equal to Seagar or Puig. Again not that this will be a good trade necessarily but those guys would have required much more to get.

vCash
    I think it's always a great idea to trade a top prospect and a solid SP with multiple years of team control for a 30 year old that's never played in the bigs and a marginal pitching prospect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Waiting on Shoeless to join the discussion and tell us why Hart over Coppy was a good idea. Like I said, for what we appear to be giving up, we should have landed either Puig or Seagar. Anything else is us getting completely screwed.
    Ha...

I personally hate this deal. Based solely on wood. During the off/early season it appeared clear and obvious what the braves were trying to do with the roster...now I don't have a clue. Somebody must think his mechanics won't hold up long term but I just don't get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Ha...

I personally hate this deal. Based solely on wood. During the off/early season it appeared clear and obvious what the braves were trying to do with the roster...now I don't have a clue. Somebody must think his mechanics won't hold up long term but I just don't get it.
    If we're dead set on moving wood, we should've waited till the offseason. Definitely think we can do better dealing wood.

Please Lord don't let peraza be part of this deal too

vCash
    To me the only thing that would have made some sense is if the Dodgers or Marlins take Chris Johnson as well. Not sure I like it but at least then I could see it. I know a lot of scouts really liked Olivera and obviously our front office has been hot to get him.

vCash
    I'm actually ok with this deal. Peraza is a little overhyped and has no position to play for this team. FO clearly views Ozzie Albies as better, which I can't disagree. With all the pitching acquired Wood is probably not in the rotation after next year anyway, plus injury concerns, velocity down, etc. This team needs a bat in the worst way, just hope we've done our homework on Olivera and the red flags aren't a long term issue. Since we were after him so hard in the winter got to think we've got a good idea of what he is and what we're getting.
    It's an obsession but it's pleasing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Don't know if I like the trade yet either but there is no way we get Seagar or Puig for what we gave up. You would have to throw in Simmons or Miller instead of Wood might have been enough. But you are over valuing our guys. As much as I like Woods and Pereza they are not equal to Seagar or Puig. Again not that this will be a good trade necessarily but those guys would have required much more to get.
    We're talking about a long term #2 or #3 starter under team control for approximately 5 years, our closer, and our top position prospect. Hell yes that group is worth Puig. Anything less is getting the shaft.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Ha...

I'm with you. This deal makes no sense, especially for what we're (not) getting in return. And we aren't even getting a salary dump with CJ, it appears. The only real "prospect" in the deal is nearly 30 and never played a single day in MLB. Unless Olivera comes in, jumps immediately to the big club, and hits 15 HRs by the end of the year and 30+ next year, we got screwed.
    Last edited by War Machine Dawg; 07-30-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    We're talking about a long term #2 or #3 starter under team control for approximately 5 years, our closer, and our top position prospect. Hell yes that group is worth Puig. Anything less is getting the shaft.
    The closer is a rental and is an irrelevant part of getting a top bat in this trade. It's about Wood and Peraza. Personally I don't care for Puig because of character but there is no denying he has .290 30 hr potential. The value does not add up especially considering the Dodgers probably see him that way even with his less production this year. He is what a 5 WAR guy normally by himself. At best Wood and Peraza gets you to 3.5 maybe 4. If they didn't think he would live up to that potential then we might could have got him. The value numbers just doesn't add up between those players.

vCash
    I'm with you. This deal makes no clue, especially for what we're (not) getting in return. And we aren't even getting a salary dump with CJ, it appears. The only real "prospect" in the deal is nearly 30 and never played a single day in MLB. Unless Olivera comes in, jumps immediately to the big club, and hits 15 HRs by the end of the year and 30+ next year, we got screwed.

That's the part I'm not sure on unless there is something else coming. I don't do the deal probably either unless CJ is dumped on someone. And I think we can forget Oliver hitting 30 hr in a season. I think he will hit around .300 and maybe 15-20 hr but we will see. The 30 year old thing with him is a question mark but he doesn't have the normal wear as he would if he had played here for his entire life. But he already had some red flags so I hope honestly the medical come back sterling or else back out. And also where are we playing him? 2nd or 3rd. That also makes a difference on if we are getting good value for him. And if he lives up to the potential then his value is also very good and controllable for 5 years it's just he will be 35 at the end.

vCash
    Looks like the deal is finalized.

Dodgers get: Latos, Morse, Wood, Johnson, Peraza, Avilan, Arroyo

Marlins get: Kevin Guzman, Jeff Brigham, Victor Araujo

Braves get: Olivera (injured, hamsting. Old), Paco Rodriguez (injured), Zach Bird (sucks), Draft Pick

Bottom line, we got hosed.

vCash
    Looks like the deal is finalized.

Dodgers get: Latos, Morse, Wood, Johnson, Peraza, Avilan, Arroyo

Marlins get: Kevin Guzman, Jeff Brigham, Victor Araujo

Braves get: Olivera (injured, hamsting. Old), Paco Rodriguez (injured), Zach Bird (sucks), Draft Pick

Bottom line, we got hosed.
    30 is not old. He may not be in his prime or could be about at the end of prime. And position is something we have to consider. If he plays 2nd and produces like 33 year old Ian Kinsler or Pedroia at 31 then he is great value. At 3rd then he doesn't have the pop I believe but at the price still maybe a good player. Everybody believes he will hit for good avg at the MLB level but it is definitely a risk. Paco has been a good reliever and is young. His injury is lower shoulder issue and Bird doesn't suck just has to hit his potential. Which is a middle to back end starter in the MLB. All that being said I agree I don't do the trade without CJ being taken off our hands or don't give up as much. I wonder how much the office feels that Ailbes (sp?) is going to come on sooner that thought. And I really liked Wood. Questions about his delivery not withstanding I really like him. Does seem like the office likes Olivera too much and too many variables for my liking as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    30 is not old. He may not be in his prime or could be about at the end of prime. And position is something we have to consider. If he plays 2nd and produces like 33 year old Ian Kinsler or Pedroia at 31 then he is great value. At 3rd then he doesn't have the pop I believe but at the price still maybe a good player. Everybody believes he will hit for good avg at the MLB level but it is definitely a risk. Paco has been a good reliever and is young. His injury is lower shoulder issue and Bird doesn't suck just has to hit his potential. Which is a middle to back end starter in the MLB. All that being said I agree I don't do the trade without CJ being taken off our hands or don't give up as much. I wonder how much the office feels that Ailbes (sp?) is going to come on sooner that thought. And I really liked Wood. Questions about his delivery not withstanding I really like him. Does seem like the office likes Olivera too much and too many variables for my liking as well.
    Even if Olivera plays like a 30something pedroia or kinsler, that's not worth giving up a solid SP with years of team control and your best position prospect and top 50 overall prospect in baseball for. Not when he hasn't faced MLB pitching in a regular season game. Seemed like the Braves were building towards the new stadium and hoping to make some noise in 2017-2018, so why trade 2 young pieces for a 30 year old?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Even if Olivera plays like a 30something pedroia or kinsler, that's not worth giving up a solid SP with years of team control and your best position prospect and top 50 overall prospect in baseball for. Not when he hasn't faced MLB pitching in a regular season game. Seemed like the Braves were building towards the new stadium and hoping to make some noise in 2017-2018, so why trade 2 young pieces for a 30 year old?
    Shhh.....that requires common sense to figure out. 30 year old defector (or hell, maybe 35 considering he was born in Cuba and has no birth certificate) who's never played a single MLB game gonna be our savior.******

vCash
    Shhh.....that requires common sense to figure out. 30 year old defector (or hell, maybe 35 considering he was born in Cuba and has no birth certificate) who's never played a single MLB game gonna be our savior.******
    I never said that. At all. Don't be obtuse. But don't act like you know he won't hit and hit very well in the league. We don't know but every indication is he will. I wouldn't have done the trade and don't think it fits by given up Woods. But he is also controllable and depending on his spot could be a very good bat. It is a change from what we have been doing all year and that makes me wonder if they don't see a bigger upside with him or what exactly the moves are and why this trade. The flip side is if he hits like a lot of the Cubans at around his numbers for the next 3 years then it's a good deal, if Woods doesn't develop into a #1 type pitcher. I would had rather kept a younger Woods because I like pitching and like him but they are both controllable. And if he does hit then he could be a very good trade piece in a year or two. That brings back something more than what we had. It's a risk I wouldn't take for various reasons and like you think we could have done better than this. But part of that is because we really like Woods.

vCash
    But y'all also gave up pereza, a top 50 prospect. And earlier I think you said there wasn't a spot for him to play on the current team, but jace Peterson is more of a career util guy than an everyday player.

vCash
    But y'all also gave up pereza, a top 50 prospect. And earlier I think you said there wasn't a spot for him to play on the current team, but jace Peterson is more of a career util guy than an everyday player.
    I don't think I said anything about Peraza not having a spot said the office may see Ailbes (who is rated about the same as Peraza right now) coming up much quicker than thought but I'm not sure where they are going to play Olivera. If it is at second and he hits like projected then it's a very good deal as for as per yearly salary. Kinsler is making $15 mil a year. If he plays that well and we get him for $9 mil less. Also we dumped what? $10 mil or so from Arroyo's salary obligations. That may be why the extra prospect had to be dealt. Wish it had been CJ instead but that does help. Maybe they are also freeing up money to help make a run at players this offseason.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 07-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    Peterson just keeping 2b warm for albies.

I hate the trade, but peraza isn't a lock at the mlb level IMO. He doesn't walk... Like ever! He has defensive question marks too. Sorta like a fast Chris Johnson... Ok, not that bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Peterson just keeping 2b warm for albies.

I hate the trade, but peraza isn't a lock at the mlb level IMO. He doesn't walk... Like ever! He has defensive question marks too. Sorta like a fast Chris Johnson... Ok, not that bad.
    peraza doesn't walk either. he is a good bit overhyped IMO. aloe vera or whoever the hell we just got has had a much better OPS in his minor league stints this year (though SSS).

we overpaid, clearly, but the FO must be looking at 2017 knowing they need a 3B, and all they have is a utility guy and 2 2B prospects, and a 3B prospect (Ruiz) that has been dogshite in AA this year. that dump off of Kyle Kubitza looks HORRIBLE right now. they know they will end up having to overpay for a 3B. and they love Olivera, so they'd rather overpay for him than some average veteran. Wood will probably be a Super Two this offseason, which puts him in Mike Minor territory of possibly not being worth a damn thing if he has a down year next year or gets hurt, and his peripherals have not been as good as his results.

Wood probably has $15M in value after his salary. They project Olivera to have about the same over and above his salary. Then they dump $8M in Arroyo and pick up a draft pick worth about another $10M, for JJohnson and Avilan, who have no 2017 value to the Braves, and Peraza, who has (wild ass guess) maybe $20M-$30M in value.

so really it is a slight overpay for a guy they love at a position of need with scarce options, that they paid for out of positions of plenty. it makes some sense, but damn it's ballsy.

vCash
    Ok, I'm losing faith big time in hart...

?@BNightengale
    A.J. Pierznyski staying put in Atlanta unless #Braves blown away by offer, citing his value on and off field to organization.

What sense does it make to keep AJ and play him every day? None...