Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody know the latest on Newman?

vCash

Anybody know the latest on Newman?

Haven't seen much on here last few days was just curious

vCash
    I guess we are all still trusting in I seen it dawg.

vCash
    He's with lsu's commits this week it Chicago. Meyer, who is also there CB'ed Malik to lsu last night. Don't know if that means anything or not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He's with lsu's commits this week it Chicago. Meyer, who is also there CB'ed Malik to lsu last night. Don't know if that means anything or not

he's changed his CB on him 5-6 times now. I've pretty much lost all confidence in his pick.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    May as well get comfortable. Malik isn't doing anything for at least another month or so. Just have to sit back & be patient. Meyer has changed his mind so much for Malik because he doesn't know what's going on. I still feel good about Malik but it's not a done deal. He's not going to make a final decision until at least April 27th (the day after the NBA entry deadline) & prolly wont until he takes all of his OV.

vCash
    Meyer seems like he's operating similarly to the David Johnson method (CB any recruit who visits Oxford to OM) regarding Malik.

vCash
    Malik won't do anything before declaration day for the NBA draft
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    April 27th is a long way away - what should we be hoping for?

I'm hoping mickey declares soon to help our case against LSU.

What should we hope for w/ Kentucky? Does it help their cause w/ Malik if calipari can bring back booker, lyles, johnson, & a harrison or 2 to increase the chances of another Final Four run? Or would they gain more ground w/ Malik by having a ton of departures, opening up PT?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Malik won't do anything before declaration day for the NBA draft
    Why is that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Why is that?
    To see who leaves early for a few teams
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    To see who leaves early for a few teams
    That make sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post
    April 27th is a long way away - what should we be hoping for?

I'm hoping mickey declares soon to help our case against LSU.

What should we hope for w/ Kentucky? Does it help their cause w/ Malik if calipari can bring back booker, lyles, johnson, & a harrison or 2 to increase the chances of another Final Four run? Or would they gain more ground w/ Malik by having a ton of departures, opening up PT?
    I think Kentucky returning big men would help them, while returning too many guards would hurt.

For example, Ulis is coming back, and Briscoe is coming in as the nation's top PG. So if they also have Booker and/or a Harrison return, I would assume that would hurt their chances. You know Briscoe is likely being sold on being their #1 PG, and Ulis will play a lot of PG as well. So that alone pretty much leaves him at SG, and if he has to fight for playing time there as well, I can't see him going there.

Mickey leaving would hurt LSU, and that's about the only thing to watch on that front.

I doubt him playing with LSU commits will influence much. Newman seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is trying to make the decision that will best prepare him for the NBA while still being able to win in college. He can win at LSU and will probably be able to play PG (though their returning guards make that interesting), but at State he knows the coach will prepare him, he can play wherever he wants, and he can be the guy while trying to lead his dad's alma mater back.

vCash
    Also, Lyles is a top-10 pick. I would be shocked if he comes back.

I do think Dakari Johnson and Poythress will return, but I have seen mock drafts that have them leaving as well. If they do leave, Kentucky will be seriously hurting in the frontcourt unless they pick up a couple studs late. They'll have Marcus Lee and Labissiere along with Derek Willis, but that leaves very little depth.

They also have a 5-star SG coming in, but he's not on Newman's level, so I doubt that would factor in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think Kentucky returning big men would help them, while returning too many guards would hurt.

For example, Ulis is coming back, and Briscoe is coming in as the nation's top PG. So if they also have Booker and/or a Harrison return, I would assume that would hurt their chances. You know Briscoe is likely being sold on being their #1 PG, and Ulis will play a lot of PG as well. So that alone pretty much leaves him at SG, and if he has to fight for playing time there as well, I can't see him going there.

Mickey leaving would hurt LSU, and that's about the only thing to watch on that front.

I doubt him playing with LSU commits will influence much. Newman seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is trying to make the decision that will best prepare him for the NBA while still being able to win in college. He can win at LSU and will probably be able to play PG (though their returning guards make that interesting), but at State he knows the coach will prepare him, he can play wherever he wants, and he can be the guy while trying to lead his dad's alma mater back.
    I agree with what you said. I keep seeing booker as a lottery pick. I assume he's coming out, but nothing is certain I'm sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I agree with what you said. I keep seeing booker as a lottery pick. I assume he's coming out, but nothing is certain I'm sure.
    He's kind of a tweener to me. He's right in that same area Poythress was in when he decided to return after his freshman year. He's projected just outside the lottery, which is plenty high enough to leave. But he may feel like he can show out and elevate his stock even more if he comes back and the Harrisons leave.

The really interesting thing is what happens with the Harrisons. They're projected about mid-2nd round at best, but returning would really hinder what Calipari wants to do, which is let his elite freshmen come in and shine. So do they leave and risk not even being drafted? Or do they stay and risk having their minutes reduced even further and being lost even more in the shuffle?

vCash
    It's pretty clear to me that he is at the McD All-star game telling every school what they want to hear when asked questions about them. Malik is enjoying his power right now. Just sit and wait it out boys. I still like our chances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He's kind of a tweener to me. He's right in that same area Poythress was in when he decided to return after his freshman year. He's projected just outside the lottery, which is plenty high enough to leave. But he may feel like he can show out and elevate his stock even more if he comes back and the Harrisons leave.

The really interesting thing is what happens with the Harrisons. They're projected about mid-2nd round at best, but returning would really hinder what Calipari wants to do, which is let his elite freshmen come in and shine. So do they leave and risk not even being drafted? Or do they stay and risk having their minutes reduced even further and being lost even more in the shuffle?
    I can't imagine why cal would want to get the Harrisons to leave. I realize the freshmen might be more talented, but it can't be enough to overcome the harrisons' experience.

vCash
    It might hamper his recruitment spiel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    It might hamper his recruitment spiel.
    If I could have the harrisons 1 year or 2 true freshmen 1 year, give me the harrisons every time.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If I could have the harrisons 1 year or 2 true freshmen 1 year, give me the harrisons every time.
    If the Harrison's stay all four years they'll end up with the most wins all-time at Kentucky. They are underrated on that team imo.