Thread: Fishing Report 3/28 & 3/29

vCash

Fishing Report 3/28 & 3/29

Sorry for the late post. All fishing was in BSL

3/29
    We got a late start after doing some work to the place and didn't hit the water until 930ish. It started off chilly and the intention was to soak some market shrimp on the bottom and put together a mixed box of drum, sheepshead, redfish, or whatever would bite. The plan never materialized. We had an inside-out strategy. We started in Catfish Bayou and worked our way to the Gene Taylor reef hitting up numerous reefs, grassy shorelines, the 90 bridge, and got absolutely nothing. That was the first time I've didn't catch a fish at the bridge in my life. Water was beautiful and clear. We saw no bait anywhere. I saw some reports of catching to the east but that cold front did something bad to the west side. I got one bite out at the Gene Taylor reef and it was a good one. Nailed my bait and starting taking drag. Then it shook it's head a few times and broke me off. Had I had my drag a little looser I would have had a better chance. Dumb mistake on my part. I think it was a big trout from how it felt. We saw 5 or 6 boats at the GT reef and saw 1 boat catch 1 fish the whole time we were out there. It was dead.

3/30
    We started the day off again by doing some work to the place and didn't get on the water until 10. The wind was howling and we rode 2 foot chop from the launch at Bay Marina to a northern par of BSL that I looked at Saturday but had never really focused on. The water had dirtied up but when we got over there we saw a little bit of bait which was better than the day before. We started by trolling and hitting points and cuts. Ran into some rat reds chasing bait. I was looking down at the trolling motor remote and my dad yells at me that my cork was under. It was a a 12 inch juvenile red with some attitude. Hopefully I'll catch him again when he grows up.The skunk was over! We ended up boating a few flounder and they made the boat ride back in the ice. Fish were caught on vudu, live minnows, and market shrimp. Nothing that good but there was very little tide, a consistent 15-20 mph wind, and dirty water. The fact that this virgin area (to us) produced at all was encouraging.

Side Note:
    It was my first trip with the power pole and MG Xi5 trolling motor. Didn't get to use the power pole much with the wind but I used the Xi5 a lot. My life as a fisherman has changed dramatically. The new equipment is just awesome. The Xi5 did an outstanding job holding us in position despite the brutal winds. If you don't have an Xi5 or Ipilot, get one ASAP. Amazing stuff.

Notice the dirty water vs pic #2 from the day before. Hint hint: this spot is fishy
    Last edited by BeastMan; 03-30-2015 at 06:29 PM.

vCash
    Hate yall didn't catch more, but at least you got on the water. Just remember, the fishing is about to be on fire real soon. That trolling motor sounds like a dream. I bet it makes fishing those canals much easier.

vCash
    Good job on salvaging the day. Sweet trolling motor! And boat too! I'm envious.

vCash
    It's all good Speck. A good scouting trip where you take home some flatties is a good trip imo. Can't smoke em every time. Gotta do reports for the good and bad! And State82, the Bulls bay has been a great boat for us. A charter guy needs a little more but for weekend warriors it's fine.

vCash
    I've got to come down there and do some of that salt stuff.. I'll trade trips with ya...
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    I fished BSL for ~45min yesterday evening. Caught 5 trout on a jerk bait, but only got 2 on the stringer. It sure was windy. The forecast looks terrible for this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I fished BSL for ~45min yesterday evening. Caught 5 trout on a jerk bait, but only got 2 on the stringer. It sure was windy. The forecast looks terrible for this weekend.
    I saw those fish you caught. They looked like nice fish. Quick question: I've never been a big hard bait guy besides topwater plugs. How do you work those hard jerk baits?

vCash
    I just give it 2-3 hard twitches, reel up the slack, pause for a second, repeat. More times than not, they hit it on that pause.